Sign in to follow this  
azhunter23

Homemade Trail camera tree mount

I have been messing around for awhile now trying to make an inexpensive tree mount for my camera's that is fully adjustable. Here is the latest and it seems to have unlimited adjustment. Tell me what you think..

Parts:

tree step

1/4"- 20 eyebolt

1/4"-20 nut

1/2" bolt 1" long

1/2" wingnut

Cost less than $3

post-1253-0-17170700-1314826652_thumb.jpg

post-1253-0-20814500-1314826786_thumb.jpg

post-1253-0-81716300-1314826798_thumb.jpg

Very nice

No JB weld.. I ground the tree step a little to make flat then i welded the bolt to it.. not the prettiest weld but its sturdy.

looks great but keep in mind you cant screw in that on trees on National forest lands.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :P

Nicely done on the mount!

Very creative. Where do you get the tree step?

looks great but keep in mind you cant screw in that on trees on National forest lands.

This is what I found in the regs..from page 92 under treestands,

"It may be unlawful to pound climbing spikes or attach anything that penetrates the surface of a tree causing permanent injury or scarring"

But It also says this

"It may be unlawful to cut any trees or branches while hanging tree stands or setting blinds"

and

"It may be unlawful to leave tree stands hanging or blinds set for extended periods of time. They may be considered aban- doned property and subject to seizure"

Is there another place where it states that they can't be used because this says it may be unlawful. I looked through the regs and can't find anything I also checked Tonto & Coconino websites and found nothing. I don't want to break any laws so if you can point me in the direction where you obtained your info i would appreciate it..I have been using tree steps to hang my lanterns in camp for years and I have had Forestry and Game and Fish stop to visit and never say a word.

Thanks

Chris

Very creative. Where do you get the tree step?

I get them at Sportsmans Warehouse. In the back by the treestands

Chris,

i'm pretty sure each land department has there own set of rules and laws... blm, state trust land, national forest land and so on.

check the laws of the land you're hunting. pretty sure those are common violations.

what if you cut off the part that screws in the tree and use a ratchet strap? or weld a flat plate on that part with holes in each end for the hooks on the ratchet strap? just a thought.

i think the same thing when in my tree stand and want to screw in hooks for my bow and gear.

i think BLM posted last year they were handing out tickets where he was huntin last year...

+1

I believe it's illegal to bolt stuff into trees on most USFS land....might want to check with the particular forest you want to use that on...

If you want to get techincal about it, leaving a camera in the forrest MAY BE illegal. They can and will consider it littering. So don't worry about everyone telling you it is illegal. Another tid bit I learned from a buddy who is a game warden. If you spot an animal while you are near your truck. You find him a few miles away, but know there is a rode in between you and him and you can cut your hike down from 7 miles to only 2 miles. This is illegal if you drive to that closer road then hike after you buck. They consider it hunting with the aid of a vehicle. This has been tried and hunters have been convicted.

If it's against the law then I won't do it. I hunt only in tonto national forest and I'm trying to find the info in writing. Which I would be surprised if it is, because Tonto nails their no camping signs to trees but who knows they may break their own law. :-)

With the rampant theft of trail cameras, I think the only way to truly "secure" a camera is to bolt it to a tree. Maybe it's against regulations, but anything I leave in the woods worth over $100 is going to require a chainsaw and a grinder with a cutting wheel to extract. If you steal my camera, you're going to work at least half as hard as I did to keep it from getting stolen.