Couzer

24b Second 2011 hunt

I have been trying to get my older brother into hunting and the last couple of years has been doing ok. He has yet to harvest a Whitetail buck until today. I have heard from others that 24b has been pretty tough this year in locating bucks. We decided we were going to take the first 3x3 or bigger that we came across.

We had gone out scouting a few weeks ago with my brothers brother-in-law who has been working in 24b for the forest service (pretty much did all our scouting for us ;) ). It went pretty well, we located some bucks pretty fast and decided that we were done.

This morning we woke up early and arrived to our spot about 6:30 this morning. We had parked the truck down hill from a ridge and hiked up only a few hundred yards. I started to glass the south side of this slope and not seeing anything I switched over to the North slope. I instantly found 3 does about 1050 yards away. I showed my brother and his 8 year old son the deer that were feeding up the hill. After that I started to glass some more when my brother started saying "buck, buck, buck right in front of us"! Sure enough this little 4x4 walked out down the hill right in front of us! I was thinking to myself "you got to be kidding me"! So I said shoot, shoot, shoot!!!! Well end of story after a 130 yard shot we were done opening day at 7:30am.

I reminded him that hunting is never this easy! But some get lucky, and we got lucky!!!

post-2686-0-05879700-1319867357_thumb.jpg

That's really awesome! Congrats to your brother, and great job helping him getting it done.

That's awesome, funny how when I see antlers the first few words still are buck, buck, buck...

It's just a reaction I guess, after hunting most of my life I still get the gitters like that :lol:

I guess your brother will be going next year after getting his first Coues deer.

it only takes one to get hooked.

Congratulations !

Congratulations to your brother on his first buck! It's great he had his son with him, I bet he was excited!

Congratulations to your brother and how sweet is it that he had his son along for the show. I bet they both want to go next year. That's pretty awesome. :)

TJ

Thanks for all the great comments! My nephew was so excited for this hunt! He has been waiting for a few years to go on a hunt with his dad! It was priceless to see him help out Feild dressing the buck as well! Didn't know if he was going to have a weak stomach or not. He ended up being excited to help out with the hole process.

We have the same tag haven't seen any bucks we have seen a few does and muley bucks though. This is our first time hunting whitetails but won't be our last for sure. Hopefully we can find the bucks before Thursday night. Any ideas?