Sign in to follow this  
jcarter

Bad idea to switch Ammo brands night before hunt?

So like an idiot I shot all my ammo today sighting in my rifle, I thought I had another box at the house. Well there isn't any more of the ammo I was using to be found in my town or within an hour drive. I would be switching from Federal 7mm Mag 150g to Remington same load. I wont have a chance to shoot again. Should I make the drive?

I unfortunately would. probably still going to be close but you will not know until you shoot it. better to be safe than sorry because an inch or two at 100 yards will be a lot more at 300 or 400.

For what it's worth...

I once switched from Remington Core-Lokt to Hornady factory ammo at the last minute and it made a HUGE difference at 100 YDs (inchES).

I'll never trust a last minute switch again.

i would either

1.) Switch and DO NOT shoot anything over 100 yards.

2.) Make the drive so you know where you are shooting.

Casue previously stated even an inch difference will be huge 200+

This is a BAD idea. 99 times out of 100 your POI can be different. Even with equal bullet weights, different powder types/charge weight/burn rate differences etc... can and typically will cause a shift in POI. Sometimes very dramatically. A buddy of mine has made this mistake more than once. He has also missed out on good opportunites because of it. He still has not learned.....

This year prior to my elk hunt I went out to check my 270WSM. I have a Leupold scope w/ B&C reticules. My crosshair is set at zero @ 200 yards. I sighted in with 140 gr. Berger bullets in a handload. When I finished sighting in I decided to shoot a couple of 140 gr. Accubonds I had for a backup. I was 7" low at 200 yds. with the Accubonds.

If you change brands, best shoot them to see where they hit and go from there.

My .02

This year prior to my elk hunt I went out to check my 270WSM. I have a Leupold scope w/ B&C reticules. My crosshair is set at zero @ 200 yards. I sighted in with 140 gr. Berger bullets in a handload. When I finished sighting in I decided to shoot a couple of 140 gr. Accubonds I had for a backup. I was 7" low at 200 yds. with the Accubonds.

If you change brands, best shoot them to see where they hit and go from there.

My .02

I have had as much as 2-3 inches difference in point of impact at 100 yds just shooting the same brand of ammo with the same bullet weight and a different lot number. You are definitely rolling the dice if you don't check your rifle's zero before going hunting.

Stick with what you know....

Bad idea to switch...I can tell you what I have seen over the years when people practice with one round then switch to their Hunting Ammo and then wonder why they had a bad shot or missed even at closer distances I have a silky who helps to track wounded deer over in Texas.

Really it just depends on how good of a shot you are. Like me I just carry a mixed bag of who knows what weight bullets made by who knows who or even some of my reloads because my buck fever changes point of impact far worse than any variance in the bullet I shoot. :huh: :unsure:

Go out glassing in the morning and leave your gun in the truck. If you find a good buck, bed it down. Then go back to your truck, site in your gun to the new ammo, hike back to the buck and wait for him to stand.

Thanx for the input guys, I drove into town last night and got some. PS after this morning I also learned buck fever is a real thing. Ive never shook so bad in my life!!