Sign in to follow this  
POB

Never Again

I thought I would drop a quick note about my hunt this year. My hunting partner and I lucked out and drew a late tag for Coues down south. Yesterday morning found us sitting on a hill in the cold glassing with very little luck. We found a few does but nothing with horns. I had to be at work at 2:00, so I left early and my partner headed to another spot he hoped would be better. When he called that evening I figured he had killed.(he usually does). He didn't. I was told about a group of bucks, one real nice one, that we needed to get after this morning. Hyped up on this news I agreed to meet him this morning before realizing this was rough hunt for him, (about 25 years junior to me.) It almost killed me. :rolleyes: We started climbing and climbing and climbing. Did I mention it was all uphill. Well we found the bucks around 8:30 and waited for a shot at a good one. This happened around 9:30. I forgot about the 25 MPH cross wind so I really gave him a warning shot. I finaly corrected this and the 300 wsm put him down after a 360 yd shot uphill. Not the biggest buck on the mountain, but he's mine, and he will be my last coues. I will NEVER do that again. (I think I said that after the one before him.) I will try to post a pic tomorrow.

Looking forward to the pix. We all say that "never again" but you know you'll be out there again, climbing nasty hills, fighting the wind, wondering why we just don't pick up golf as a sport...You know you would miss it. ;)

What is today a never again feeling will turn into part of the bittersweet hunt but, with time nostalgia will kick in a bit and it will all be part of the fond memories. congratulations, I look forward to the pics.

Never again? Maybe said a time or two after a hard night of celebrating but never after a successful hunt. Look how sweet it felt when you put your hands around the horns. Now, where are the pictures you promised us today. Ok, it is a little yearly for the young guns to be up. :lol:

TJ

Congrats on your deer!

Reminds me of my buddies and I hunting Gambels! Those little dudes ALWAYS flush uphill!!! Every time I'm standing on top of a ridge (after chasing the covey of birds up there) I promise myself that I will never let them sucker me again! Well, somehow I keep finding myself up on top of those ridges looking down at the wash I flushed them out of..... ;)

Again, congrats on the deer!

S.

:)

The downhill was just as hard or harder on these old knees, but at least I was carrying out the head and cape of my coues. I will turn 61 tomorrow so it may well be my last coues, don't know how many more years I can keep climbing those hills. But if I know my partner, He'll find some way to get me up there after those darn coues again. no. never again. well maybe once more. Oh yeah, pics coming.

The downhill was just as hard or harder on these old knees, but at least I was carrying out the head and cape of my coues. I will turn 61 tomorrow so it may well be my last coues, don't know how many more years I can keep climbing those hills. But if I know my partner, He'll find some way to get me up there after those darn coues again. no. never again. well maybe once more. Oh yeah, pics coming.

Now thats the attitude!

I thought I would drop a quick note about my hunt this year. My hunting partner and I lucked out and drew a late tag for Coues down south. Yesterday morning found us sitting on a hill in the cold glassing with very little luck. We found a few does but nothing with horns. I had to be at work at 2:00, so I left early and my partner headed to another spot he hoped would be better. When he called that evening I figured he had killed.(he usually does). He didn't. I was told about a group of bucks, one real nice one, that we needed to get after this morning. Hyped up on this news I agreed to meet him this morning before realizing this was rough hunt for him, (about 25 years junior to me.) It almost killed me. :rolleyes: We started climbing and climbing and climbing. Did I mention it was all uphill. Well we found the bucks around 8:30 and waited for a shot at a good one. This happened around 9:30. I forgot about the 25 MPH cross wind so I really gave him a warning shot. I finaly corrected this and the 300 wsm put him down after a 360 yd shot uphill. Not the biggest buck on the mountain, but he's mine, and he will be my last coues. I will NEVER do that again. (I think I said that after the one before him.) I will try to post a pic tomorrow.

Well I must say I think my son Ezra and I were on this hunt......... Pat you can tell every one you concord Mount Everest LOL..... Here is a pic of us! Congrats again!

post-3954-0-61987100-1323740900_thumb.jpg