Although I am not a coues fanatic, lol, I do recognize them for what they are----that, being great lion food.

I must say it is enjoyable seeing all the lion photos you boys post from time to time.

While not an expert by any means, I have had the good fortune to have looked at several hundred lions over a 40 year period of hunting them.

For me, it is always interesting to read what the hunter says about the lion etc.

I see firstcoues got himself a kitty. Way to go 1st coues. Your story about discovering he had testicles was interesting. Few people, hunters or wildlife people included, can tell the sex of a lion. I don't know how many pictures I see of "115 lb females". If it is 115 lbs, it is more than likely not a female. If it is a female, probably that 115 was a "guess".

Most guys that kill a big male usually think it weighs 180 lbs.

There are several ways to judge age and of course, the sex part can be confusing to the uninitiated.

For instance, the two lions harvested by firstcoueswas80 et al are approx. 6-8 months old. Now that is just an educated guess and looking from a distance. You can tell by the juvenile strips as they are called. Also, the head shape and just general over all appearance, even without looking at the teeth.

Anyway, thanks to all that post pictures of lions they have taken. I for one always enjoy seeing them and hearing the story.

Thanks.

Although I am not a coues fanatic, lol, I do recognize them for what they are----that, being great lion food.

I must say it is enjoyable seeing all the lion photos you boys post from time to time.

While not an expert by any means, I have had the good fortune to have looked at several hundred lions over a 40 year period of hunting them.

For me, it is always interesting to read what the hunter says about the lion etc.

I see firstcoues got himself a kitty.  Way to go 1st coues.  Your story about discovering he had testicles was interesting.  Few people, hunters or wildlife people included, can tell the sex of a lion.  I don't know  how many pictures I see of "115 lb females".  If it is 115 lbs, it is more than likely not a female.  If it is a female, probably that 115 was a "guess".

Most guys that kill a big male usually think it weighs 180 lbs.

There are several ways to judge age and of course, the sex part can be confusing to the uninitiated.

For instance, the two lions harvested by firstcoueswas80 et al are approx. 6-8 months old. Now that is just an educated guess and looking from a distance.  You can tell by the juvenile strips as they are called.  Also, the head shape and just general over all appearance, even without looking at the teeth.

Anyway, thanks to all that post pictures of lions they have taken.  I for one always enjoy seeing them and hearing the story.

Thanks.

dogman68, Your post is incorrect.........firstcoueswas80 NEVER ( harvested 2 lions) OOPS on your part :P And your taking a wild guess at the age of the lions, I think you are way off...It's kinda tricky to tell the sex of a lion. There is one way that works though, If there is a dark spot about 5 inches away from its anus then likely a tom, a female lions black spot is alot closer to its anus.

25-06

Dogman68 Said first coues got himself a kitty. :P .He probaly meant the two lions that Casey and his friend harvested later in his post

LOL-

Thats why Dogman said "et al. " which means "and others."

As a rookie I got a question? I have been told that some lions keep some spots/stripes on their forearms even as adults? Is this common Dogman?

This last cat off one of the cams seemed to have that forearm stripe?

385007.JPG

nice to meet you dogman.its always good to see a lion hunter is rubbing elbows with us deer hunters.I like to go over to the shadetree website once in awhile to read all the stories those guys post about their hunts.hope you enjoy the forum.

wade

how come i am the only person being pointed out in this conversation?

honeslty, the reason that i did not know he had testicles is i didnt know where to look! i thought if he would have had a pecker and testicles, they would be out there in the open like a deer.

no judging the size of the cat: in the picture where i am standing with it, keep in mind i am a honest 6'3 255 lbs. not a smal guy and that cats feet are only 3-4" off the ground, the "et al" part, my buddy has shot a few cats and he guessed them both to be around 2 years of age. he may be way off, you may be way off no real way to tell until i take the tooth to the AZGFD.

i will be the first person to tell you that i dont know squat about lions. the first time i had EVER seen a lion was from about 20-25 feet away, while i was raising my rifle to shoot it! i do however, think that the cat i shot is a little older than you guessed but i am not sure.

but welcome to the forum anyhow.

Casey

Don't be defensive about your cat experience man! That is one heck of a story and I would be proud if it was mine.

Rock on dude! I won't forget your story!

As far as identifying the reproductives, I've had some house cats that the VET misidentified.

how come i am the only person being pointed out in this conversation?

honeslty, the reason that i did not know he had testicles is i didnt know where to look! i thought if he would have had a pecker and testicles, they would be out there in the open like a deer.

no judging the size of the cat: in the picture where i am standing with it, keep in mind i am a honest 6'3 255 lbs. not a smal guy and that cats feet are only 3-4" off the ground, the "et al" part, my buddy has shot a few cats and he guessed them both to be around 2 years of age. he may be way off, you may be way off no real way to tell until i take the tooth to the AZGFD.

i will be the first person to tell you that i dont know squat about lions. the first time i had EVER seen a lion was from about 20-25 feet away, while i was raising my rifle to shoot it! i do however, think that the cat i shot is a little older than you guessed but i am not sure.

but welcome to the forum anyhow.

I wasn't knocking your lion experience Casey. I was congratulating you. Yes, I was talking about the two lions in the picture on the tailgate of the truck. From the photo, tht was just my opinion.

The first lion I ever killed way back in the 60's was a 123 lb. lion that I thought was a female due to no Juevos hanging there. Someone that knew something pointed out the black dot etc.

Didn't mean to rattle anyone's cage, nt my intent.

well, the way i look at it, and i am well knowed as the smartest guy in the world and i really like to fish, an animal is just as big as a guy says it is. and when it comes to lions, as long as it's dead, it can be as big as the guy who shot it wants it to be. that's just my superior opinion. now bow before me. HEY BULLWIDGEON, I SAID BOW!!!! Lark.

I look at it about like Lark does. I shot a lion 2 years ago that had to be 200 pounds if it was an ouce and lame old game and fish told me it was only 1year to 18 months old. Stinking liars. Lark whatever you say, besides someone told me once that arguing with a codger is like arguing with a pig, you just get all pissed off and the pig is still a pig. You codger....

Bret M.

P.S. I have never caught a bass under 7 pounds or trout under 3 pounds. Take that

Hey just a lion question. Do lions in Arizona differ in size acording to region? Like are the cats in southern Arizona larger on the average than northern cats? Just curious.

azyoung

i think cat size has more to do with genetics, remoteness, age (which is directly tied to remoteness, because the live longer in wilder country, and the availabilty of food. big toms begat big toms. as long as they live long enough and eat enough. and you be quiet bullwidgeon about codgerdom or i'll have one o' my people thunk a knot on yer head. Lark.

I think the G&F Dept will clear this whole age thing up in a few months when they send the age results to Firstcoues.

Lions do keep they stripes on the inside of their front legs. I have killed to mature toms and both have them. the younger of the two they aged at 6 years.

I have to confess that I didn't know the sex of my first one due to the "hidden package" until a friend pointed out the nards.

Well that's my .02.