Sign in to follow this  
singleshot

Nice late season buck

Funny how it happens, the hunts I had been on earlier this year involved glassing up bucks at long distances, working into shooting range, waiting for a bedded buck to stand up, or frantically trying to re-locate a buck after the distance had been cut. This buck wasn't anything like that.

My son Dane, had a couple days off from school and work and we were anxious to get out and try and kill a buck in the one day we had available. We left the truck at first light and I was a little intimidated by how thick the scrub oak and mountain mahogany was on the nearby ridges. Great deer country but a little difficult to glass. When in doubt climb high and glass, so we headed straight up to the lowest saddle on the ridgline about an hour and a half hard walk away. We stopped and set up to glass a couple of times, and picked up a few deer moving off of the cat claw covered south slopes onto the thicker shadier north sides. One was a small buck that covered a lot of country with his nose to the ground out on the prowl.

Eventually we topped out through the saddle and found a place to set up and glass. The view was awesome, the country looked fantastic, but after several hours we only located 2 does. The hill we were glassing from was steep and the oak brush several feet tall and we were unable to see directly below us until we stood up to leave.

I spotted a doe feeding about 120 yards away and told Dane "lets watch her for a couple of minutes to be sure she's alone" Dane took a couple of steps to the side and immediately hit the ground. He mouthed "buck" to me and shouldered his rifle but the brush was too high so he had to stand back up. I took a couple of steps to the side just as Dane shot and it looked to me that he had shot high. The second shot confirmed he was shooting high. The doe started moving off and the third shot was high again. Understandably the buck started getting pretty nervous and I told Dane to hold low. This one made him jump straight up. Dane started to panic as he put two more shells in the magazine and chambered one. The buck was on the way out but his fifth shot connected and down he went.

We tend to plan for the long shot ( for most people ) 300 - 400 yards and his 300 short mag was sighted in for dead on at 300. The steep downhill angle, along with some buck fever and shooting off hand all were factors that came into play.

Dane's 300 short mag is a Remington model 700 that wears a triple A fancy piece of walnut stocked by his grandpa. Case over all length is really important in this rifle. I load 68 grains of Reloader 19, CCi 250 primers, 165 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips at 2.83 inches C.O.L.. Groups average less than .750 at 100 yards. The same load at 2.72 C.O.L. group size increases by almost .075.

Nice healthy 4x3 at 93 inches.

post-958-0-32300900-1325226243_thumb.jpg

post-958-0-51339200-1325226503_thumb.jpg

post-958-0-64360200-1325226652_thumb.jpg

post-958-0-20919200-1325226807_thumb.jpg

great story! Sounds a lot like my hunt with familiar country.LOL

Congrats!

Jeff