az_shooter

Need A Good Recipe For Deer Tacos

Im looking for a good recipe for deer tacos, i have a bunch of cubed meat from my coues that i want to make tacos out of but i need a few pointers.

do you want to do the whole thing? In other words do you want to fry the tortillas or do you want to buy pre-made shells and fill them?

For tacos that I make from game meat, I usually use ground meat, but cubed meat would work if it's soft enough. Is it already cooked? If not, I would crock pot the cubed meat in a little beef bouillon (maybe add some green chilis to it)overnight until really tender and then use that for taco meat.

I learned how to make homemade tacos from my buddy Scott and love them!

I use garlic and cumin to season my taco meat, but Scott uses just garlic salt, so it's up to you what you season it with. You can buy taco seasoning at the store and just use that as well.

I use the soft corn tortillas, put raw seasoned meat on one half and then put the tortilla in hot oil in a deep frying pan to crisp it up. Shortly after putting the flat tortilla with the meat in the hot oil, you want to use metal utensils to fold it in half like a regular taco shell.

Once it's done to your liking, take the tacos out of the oil and let them drain on paper towels. Fill tacos with whatever you want. I use shredded cheese, chopped tomatoes, cilantro, lettuce and chopped onions. Taco sauce is nice too.

Some pics:

You can see a tortilla with the meat spread on it in the right hand side of pic. You can season the meat on the taco or pre-season the whole batch.

post-1-0-06852200-1325355341_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-85536700-1325355369_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-10947600-1325355710_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-48429300-1325355619_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

do you want to do the whole thing? In other words do you want to fry the tortillas or do you want to buy pre-made shells and fill them?

For tacos that I make from game meat, I usually use ground meat, but cubed meat would work if it's soft enough. Is it already cooked? If not, I would crock pot the cubed meat in a little beef bouillon (maybe add some green chilis to it)overnight until really tender and then use that for taco meat.

I learned how to make homemade tacos from my buddy Scott and love them!

I use garlic and cumin to season my taco meat, but Scott uses just garlic salt, so it's up to you what you season it with. You can buy taco seasoning at the store and just use that as well.

I use the soft corn tortillas, put raw seasoned meat on one half and then put the tortilla in hot oil to crisp it up. Shortly after putting the flat tortilla with the meat in the hot oil, you want to use metal utensils to fold it in half like a regular taco shell.

Once it's done to your liking, take the tacos out of the oil and let them drain on paper towels. Fill tacos with whatever you want. I use shredded cheese, chopped tomatoes, cilantro, lettuce and chopped onions. Taco sauce is nice too.

Some pics:

You can see a tortilla with the meat spread on it in the right hand side of pic. You can season the meat on the taco or pre-season the whole batch.

post-1-0-06852200-1325355341_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-85536700-1325355369_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-10947600-1325355710_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-48429300-1325355619_thumb.jpg

I'll be there in an hour. Better make me a big plate!

Casey,

we always make a lot because it's easy to eat a ton of these tastey tacos!! My husband said he never liked tacos before I started making them this way! It's making me want to go make some just looking at these pics!

Amanda

I've heard Scott's tacos are to die for. Hope everyone has a Happy New Year. We are having wings, shimp, and stuffed hot pepper. Then it's packing time for javelina in the morning. Don't get any better than than that does it. :)

TJ

It's a shame you cubed that venison. I like to cook a deer shoulder or a neck or several hocks in a Crock Pot until the meat can be shredded with two forks. While the meat cools, I saute a yellow corn tortilla until it is totally flexible, then drain and roll it around a small portion of meat and secure the tortilla with a toothpick. When you have three dozen, fry them in a deep fat fryer or a pot with about three inches of vegetable oil until crisp. Drain on paper towels and serve with pico de gallo, beans, lettuce and sliced avocados on the side. Yummm.

We also use shredded venison to make folded tacos much like Amanda's, except we also serve it with thinly shredded lettuce and use a can of stewed tomatoes (to which we add a good-sized pinch of crushed oregano) instead of fresh tomatoes. In addition to onions, we sometimes serve sliced radishes, too. I like a dab of refried beans in mine. My wife adds peas to hers. At any rate we serve them as Amanda does, with all the fixin's in separate bowls and let our guests choose what they want. We stuff the leftovers the next day with what we want and zap them in the microwave for 45 seconds or so.

Shredded venison also makes excellent machaca. Add the meat to green onions and their stalks cut into 1/4-inch pieces, a can of drained stewed tomatoes, a can of drained chopped green chiles, some cilantro, salt and pepper, and a sprinkling of olive oil and fry in a non-stick frying pan until most of the moisture is gone. It is best when the meat is very finely shredded and the shreds are about 2 inches long.

Bill Quimby

• Like 1

I make tacos similarly but I fold the tortillas over and hold them closed with a toothpick. Fry them until they are almost totally crisp, but still a little flexible so you can open them and fill with goodies like cheese, guacamole, onions, etc.

Here is the spice mix I use for Mexican food.

1 tblspn New Mexico or other dried chile powder

1 tblspn sweet Hungarian paprika

2 tblspn dried Cilantro

2 tspns kosher salt

1 1/2 tspn whole cumin seeds

1 tspn ground cumin

1/2 tspn coarsely ground black pepper

1/2 tspn ground cayenne pepper

1/4 tspn ground coriander

I add dried jalapeno's & onion's to it for field use and dice up a fresh pepper or 3 and half an onion at home. Just mix this up an add a couple spoonful's to the meat.

Bill's post just reminded me that these tacos make great left overs to eat out in the field while hunting. The refrigerated tacos were wrapped up in aluminum foil and tossed in our packs. We ate those tacos on our deer hunt for left overs and they are awesome when you are hungry while glassing! In fact we rarely made it past 10 am before we broke into the tacos!

Ok I'm hungry! Were are the tacos????

• Like 1

Tamale's are good for that too Amanda, eat them cold or get a small bed of coals going and heat them up in the husk, just have to turn them often, they're pretty tasty on a cold morning.

It's a shame you cubed that venison. I like to cook a deer shoulder or a neck or several hocks in a Crock Pot until the meat can be shredded with two forks. While the meat cools, I saute a yellow corn tortilla until it is totally flexible, then drain and roll it around a small portion of meat and secure the tortilla with a toothpick. When you have three dozen, fry them in a deep fat fryer or a pot with about three inches of vegetable oil until crisp. Drain on paper towels and serve with pico de gallo, beans, lettuce and sliced avocados on the side. Yummm.

We also use shredded venison to make folded tacos much like Amanda's, except we also serve it with thinly shredded lettuce and use a can of stewed tomatoes (to which we add a good-sized pinch of crushed oregano) instead of fresh tomatoes. In addition to onions, we sometimes serve sliced radishes, too. I like a dab of refried beans in mine. My wife adds peas to hers. At any rate we serve them as Amanda does, with all the fixin's in separate bowls and let our guests choose what they want. We stuff the leftovers the next day with what we want and zap them in the microwave for 45 seconds or so.

Shredded venison also makes excellent machaca. Add the meat to green onions and their stalks cut into 1/4-inch pieces, a can of drained stewed tomatoes, a can of drained chopped green chiles, some cilantro, salt and pepper, and a sprinkling of olive oil and fry in a non-stick frying pan until most of the moisture is gone. It is best when the meat is very finely shredded and the shreds are about 2 inches long.

Bill Quimby

Bill cut back on the oil and just microwave the whole pack of tortillas wrapped in a couple of paper towels for 2 minutes and that makes them pliable enough to roll them around the meat. but the rest sounds right on. try it you'll never par cook in oil again.

james