Sign in to follow this  
azcouesfanatic

Worth the Wait!!!!

So my January has been very busy leaving me very little time to hunt. I headed out Saturday for only the second time this year. Along for the ride was my younger brother.

First light found us both behind the Swarovski trying to find a good buck. Taylor spotted the first deer and why he was directing me to the deer he spotted I found four more deer. The four deer I found turned out to be two bucks and two does. It was still early and the sun was not up yet so I was having some trouble evaluating the deer.

One of the bucks appeared to have a huge frame but I could not see many points. I put the spotting scope to work and when the sun finally came up I could see the buck had a giant frame with a great spread but he did not have much for tines. I decided he was worth a go and off I went.

I covered the mile pretty quickly and during my hike over to the buck he decided to move away from the other deer and bed down. The buck traveled approximately 700 yards away from the other deer before bedding. Once the deer bedded it was go time. I managed to get to 100 yards and the buck stood and changed positions before bedding again.

I was able to sneak 55 yards closer and it was time to wait him out. After waiting for approximately 30 minutes I heard something to my left. I turned and saw a doe 50 yards out feeding my way. I figured she was going to blow the stalk but she just hung out and fed. After 15 minutes the buck stood up and started making his way towards the doe. He went behind a bush and put his head down and I came to full draw.

The buck stepped out at 40 yards and I sent the arrow on its way. The hit was a little back but the buck only went 30 yards before bedding down again. I was able to stalk up and get another arrow in him and I had my first spot and stalk coues deer.

Its not my biggest buck but I will gladly wait 351 days for another tag. I had a great time with my brother and the stalk came together perfectly.

The buck has 17" beams and a 16" inside spread. He had two eye guards on both sides but he busted one off. I rough scored him at 85".

Hope you enjoy.

post-3635-0-93542400-1326679628_thumb.jpg

post-3635-0-16560400-1326679637_thumb.jpg

Man - spot and stalk coues with a bow has to be one of the hardest things for a hunter to achieve, along with spot and stalk pronghorn, and you've done both. Great job - my hat is off to you. Huge congrats.

Way to go Brian!!!

Congrats brian, franco told me you had killed a buck. I now know how hard it is to spot and stalk coues.