Pine Donkey

Bike Seat Buck

Garrett, my 17 year old son and Mark (MJE1) have been hunting hard in the same area for three years. They scout year around, and have really worked hard to identify all the quality bucks in the area. They have named several bucks they see as potential shooters; one of these they call the bike seat buck because of the unique coloring on his face. They estimate this buck to be between 100 and 105.

post-2989-0-24348100-1326769956_thumb.jpg

During the third week of December they packed in ground blinds 3 1/2 miles and set them up. Each of them has passed up smaller bucks waiting for one of the chosen few to show up. Last weekend Garrett passed up a tall 3 x 2 that would score about 85. I told him he is crazy to pass up such a nice buck with a bow. His argument is that last year he took a nice muley, and the year before he took a small coues, both with a bow. He felt with all his and Mark's hard work, and all the good bucks they have seen, he was holding out. Well his plan all came together Saturday morning when the Bike Seat Buck took a trail that passes his blind at 40 yards. One well placed arrow later and an 80 yard tracking job, Garrett had his buck.

post-2989-0-00937200-1326768045_thumb.jpg

post-2989-0-15795800-1326768373_thumb.jpg

This buck is 9 inches smaller on his right side than his left. Our taxidermist said this is because he had an injured left rear leg. Due to this injury, his hoof became very thin and long.

post-2989-0-74769000-1326769180_thumb.jpg

In addition to the deer he has been seing, he has pigs visit his blind everyday. A week ago he took his 7th pig. This is his 5th with a bow. This sounds like a big number but it is not when you consider that at this rate, in 30 years he will be approaching TJ levels, and in 40 years he will be nearing Quimby levels.

post-2989-0-32120500-1326769460_thumb.jpg

Wow, these kids now days are good, Dad must have taught them real good ! Huge Congrats to your son, Pine Donkey. His hard hunt paid off, but then again when your 17 maybe it wasn't so hard to hike in 3 1/2 miles loaded down big time. :rolleyes:

Very nice buck

1326771799[/url]' post='290047']

Wow, these kids now days are good, Dad must have taught them real good ! Huge Congrats to your son, Pine Donkey. His hard hunt paid off, but then again when your 17 maybe it wasn't so hard to hike in 3 1/2 miles loaded down big time. :rolleyes:

At 17 I had a passion for hunting, but not the knowledge or dedication. By the time those had developed, I was not fit enough to take advantage of it.sad.gif

Sounds like Garrett and Mark have been putting in alot of wear and tear on them boots of theirs. Congratulations to Garrett on shooting the Bike Seat Buck. What a great looking buck. Holding out for this buck couldn't have been easy on the nerves. It will look good hanging beside the Geogia buck.

I am honored to have my name mentioned in the same sentence as legendary Bill Quimby but apples to oranges.

Garrett has already set the pace for most 17yr olds and is on his way to becoming a great hunter. You can't tell me it had nothing to do with his upbringing. ;) Pine Donkey, you have got to be, and I'm sure you are, very proud of his accomplishments so far at such a young age. Can't wait to see more of Garrett's future success. :)

TJ

Nice job Garrett! That is a really unique buck. did he bust his eye guards off or just not grow any? I didn't think there was any deer left down around Tombstone. Thanks for sharing.