AZLance

What handheld GPS do you use and why?

I still use the garmin emap. it's been discontiued for awhile but i still love it. I just ordered the oregon 450. should be here this week. I didnt do the 450t as reviews were not the best with the preloaded maps not having trails and other things.I am gonna get the south west 24 topo. there are also other sites that you can download free maps to your gps as well. All around garmin makes several good units. just look up reviews on specific units and that should help you narrow it down. As with any reviews there are positives and negatives.Just need to sort out what what matters to you. I hope i made the right choice. And for ahile i will carry both till i know the 450 is sound and reliable.

I have a Garmin Astro 320. I have hounds so it works 4 types of GPS collars for the dogs, but also is amazing for when the hounds are at home. I can mark everything with already pre loaded icons and names, and also custom ones for naming un-named roads, marking trees, scratches, kills, water holes, anything you can think of. I have a custom hot pink case on it and 5 or 6 different antennas for it. Honestly, I love the unit more when I don't have the hounds then when I do.

I use the Back Country Navigator app on my smart phone. $10. Multiple maps. Topos. Sat images. Can download areas and save em for when you don't have service. Works in airplane mode to save battery. Saves waypoints. Records your track. Good as any GPS I've used.

Cabellas had a flyer not to long ago with a Smoking price on the 62s and I think garmin has moved to the 64. The 62s will take the chip and it is a great tool to have.

Plus one on smart phone I use one of my old touch screens with an extended battery. Way better than my old gps's.

Just a heads up. Midway USA has the Garmin 62ST on Clearance for $231. That's $218 off. I just bought one and they have about 20 left at this point.

Garmin rino 530HCX. Don't think they make them anymore but I love it. Possibly because I never had maps on my other gps units and now that I do it's awesome!

• Like 1

Cabelas just put the Garmin 62s on sale today at $199.00 and free shipping. Don't think they will stay in stock at that price very long.

Garmin 60CSX rocks. I especially like to use the all points of interest feature, which shows springs, tanks, creeks, mountains and anything else that you would want to know about while hunting or exploring.

• Like 1

ive been using some sort of etrex since 2002. its worked great for me all over the world but i too have been wanting something better. i am just so used to it.