Sign in to follow this  
willhunt4coues

CCW Permit

Okay I was going to take the class to get certified the other day and asked what the 100.00 was for. He told me for the training and he does the fingerprint and helps you on the application. He said I would have to send in 60.00 to get the permit. So thats 160.00 I would have spent. But anyone who knows me knows I have tons of time on my hands so I did some researching and found out that there are lots of different classes you can go through to get you certificate for the permit and guess what one of them classes are? HUNTER SAFETY course!!!! Yes if you have taken hunter ed all you need is the application (from DPS) and to get finger printed. So I asked the nice lady at DPS can I still get mine since I had taken the class 22 years ago and she said yes. So now I have to spend 60.00 for the permit and is good for 5 years and 20.00 for the finger printing. So I just saved 80.00.

I thought I would let you all know about this since nno one really tells you these little details. So if you have a hunter ed cert. go get your ccw permit. There are lots of perks to a CCW permit.

Seriously? I took the CCW class soon as I turned 21 and then had forgotten to renew it so I sat throught the whole thing again about 4 yrs ago. That woulda been nice to know back then.

I will say though, after sitting through the class twice there were definatley folks in both classes that probably have no business carrying a firearm or a sharp stick for that matter.

Thats good info to know. A lot of people have dropped the price of the class since the new law went into effect where u can carry concealed without a permit. I know caswells in mesa was offering the 8 hr class for $55 this month.

What are the benefits of having a ccw?

Not many other than not having to do the backround check when buying guns from a dealer. For me that's always a pain because I was born in Japan. So every single time my app gets delayed and I have to wait 2-3 days. Only other thing I can think of is it's honored in several other states where you are required to have a CCW (how often are we in other states?). I had retaken my class just before the new law was passed or I probly wouldnt' have even bothered. It's not like I'm buying new guns every other day.

One of the benefits of a CCW is being able to legally carry inside a bar or restaurant that serves liqour. You just can't drink while carrying.

One of the benefits of a CCW is being able to legally carry inside a bar or restaurant that serves liqour. You just can't drink while carrying.

You still cannot carry if it is posted "no firearms". There is no difference wether or not you have a CCW.

Is this really true? Wish I would have known that last year. Is there anywhere in writing that I could send someone to so they can verify it if they want to get their CCW?

You still cannot carry if it is posted "no firearms". There is no difference wether or not you have a CCW.

Yes thats true. If they have a posted "No firearms" on the property, doesn't matter if you have a CCW or not. But you do have to have a CCW to enter any establishment that serves alcohol, if it is not posted.

DCSHORTHAIRS if you were wondering if what I said was true about the Hunter Ed class being a qualifiaction yes it is I even called and they are sending my application for the permit. Here is what the statue states and a link to look for your self. These are all the classes which in turn will qualify you:

http://www.azdps.gov/Links/ARS/?l=13/03112.htm

N. An applicant shall demonstrate competence with a firearm through any of the following:

1. Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class that is available to the general public, that is offered by a law enforcement agency, a junior college, a college or a private or public institution, academy, organization or firearms training school and that is approved by the department of public safety or that uses instructors who are certified by the national rifle association.

2. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Arizona game and fish department or a similar agency of another state.

3. Completion of any national rifle association firearms safety or training course.

4. Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class that is offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies or other divisions or subdivisions of law enforcement or security enforcement and that is approved by the department of public safety.

5. Evidence of current military service or proof of honorable discharge or general discharge under honorable conditions from the United States armed forces.

6. A valid current or expired concealed weapon, firearm or handgun permit or license that is issued by another state or a political subdivision of another state and that has a training or testing requirement for initial issuance.

7. Completion of any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualification to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties.

8. Completion of any other firearms safety or training course or class that is conducted by a department of public safety approved or national rifle association certified firearms instructor.

If I am not mistaken, I also believe you are able to carry firearms into national parks if you have a ccw. Can anyone confirm this, This is a big deal if you visit the canyon for any reason.

I would really like to see AZ CCW classes like the FL ones were when I took it ages ago, it was focused on law and use of deadly force. The class started with everyone getting a copy of jury instructions.