ready2hunt

Mechanical or Fixed Broadhead

I just got my package of Grave Diggers in today when I got home. Initial thoughts, "meh." I'm having a super hard time getting excited for ANY broadheads this season for some reason. :mellow:

Have you had a chance to shoot them yet? If so, let me know if they shoot like your field tips. The more I look at these shwackers the more I like the concept of the virgin blade deployment after the hide/bone penetration. I also like that they fly like field tips...I am really hoping to sink one in a deer this year

R2H, where are you located in the valley? I just got them in the mail today when I got back from scouting since Thursday. I need to pick up a broadhead target to test them out, because I am not going to tear up a bag target this close to the season! LOL

All the broadhead companies seem to have THE secret, as much as I like to try to trust their videos, I know how much those things can be edited so I don't consider them all that much. Who knows! I'll post how I like them when I get the chance to shoot them a few times!

I am in East Mesa area. Those grave diggers look like they do some nasty damage though....I see why you wouldn't want them near your bag haha

G5 montec cs for fixed they fly just like feild tips and have great penetration! Also slick tricks a a very reliable fixed blade as well!

As for mechanical I would go with something like a shwacker!

+1

Every thing I've shot with the G5 montec has never gone more than 50yrds. On my bear and deer I found my arrow stuck in the mountain 20 yrds behind where they were shot. Shot placement, shot placement, shot placement! But things happen. Like....bone that will deflect, break, twist, etc. Reducing cutting effectiveness and in some case complete failure. construction on one piece BH reduces that and allows the BH to cut as effectively as possible as long as possible. If you don't get complete pass through then it just sits in there and grinds away as the animal moves,cutting even more.

I love the one piece construction, almost indistructable. Very little room for failure. Unlike other broad heads. I lost a bear 2 yrs ago to a 4 blade replaceable BH(yes they were tightened I'm very paticular)The bear pulled the arrow out. When I found it 2 blades were gone, still in the bear. 1 blade was bearly ( ha, ha) hanging on severely broken and fatigued. Obviously worthless and the last remaining blade was still in place but twisted.

I have shot rage's with success. I was very impressed when I shot a javelina with one. At the release of my arrow, the pig turned towards me. The arrow hit just below eye, penetrated the skull, down the throat and stopped in its vitals. I couldnt believe it. The broadhead was still intact.

As for a fixed blade.. The muzzy 3 blade is hard to beat.

As for a fixed blade.. The muzzy 3 blade is hard to beat.

Yep

I have shot G5 100gr. Montecs for some time now i killed a small bull at 49 yds and forgot to adjust for wind which pushed my arrow forward and ended up pinning both front shoulders together. I found the broadhead burried in the bone on the opposite side then took it and killed a pig with and never even sharpened it. I also shot a pig this last year head on at 30yds and burried it to the fletching through the front shoulder. These little guys are solid, but i too have been wondering about mechanicals and have some buddies in close with Randy Ulmer and have been hearing great news about the Ulmer Edge ( deploys like the shwacker with a muzzy style tip and a pendulum for the blades to swing around and bounce off of bone) and i think i will give them a shot this year. But any well placed head = backstraps !

I love the rage broadheads! Massive entry and exit holes on every animal i have killed with them. They are also very accurate i shoot mine out to 80 yards with no problems at all. The only down fall they do open up in quivers that aren't designed specifically for the rage.

I agree with all of this. The animals I've killed with 2 blade Rages looked like a hatchet went through them. They also fly just like field points. However, I've drawn on and elk and pigs and had to let down multiple times due to Rages prematurley opening in the quiver or on my stalk. Needless to say, I'm a fixed blade guy now. If you don't move much (ie hunt from a stand or blind) I am a huge fan of Rages. If you are a spot and stalk guy and move a lot, go fixed blade.

That all being said, almost any broadhead will work fine for deer. The differences between most broadheads are marketing gimmicks IMHO.

I agree. When I'm in a stand I use Rage. On the ground I use Slick Trick. This is the buck I took in August with a Rage. I missed the heart and lungs. It still did the job. He ran about 140 yards. It was impossible not to see the blood trail.

Thats really convenient he ran 140 yards and died on a blanket :D

I hunted last season with mechanical blades. Then while in the field two of them popped out and since that time they never stayed in (rubber bands broke). The two times I was able to draw on my game I had to double check the blades - not what I need to be worrying about.

Since then I have switched to fix blades - I am not dealing with the other issues this season. Lord knows I already have to think about while preparing my shot; worry about blades working can be eliminated.

I hunted last season with mechanical blades. Then while in the field two of them popped out and since that time they never stayed in (rubber bands broke). The two times I was able to draw on my game I had to double check the blades - not what I need to be worrying about.

Since then I have switched to fix blades - I am not dealing with the other issues this season. Lord knows I already have to think about while preparing my shot; worry about blades working can be eliminated.

Same exact thing happened to me. I can't keep them in my quiver after a day of walking thru the woods. Very frustrating to say the least. Any time you have a moving part or parts something will go wrong sooner or later. This is the reson I traded my drop-away for a biscut.

However, I did like the job the swacker did for me, last year, and I will probably use them again this year since I mostly blind hunt 75% of the time. :)

TJ