ready2hunt

Mechanical or Fixed Broadhead

Hey Everyone!

I really want to take deer this archery season and I am trying to decide which broad head to go with. I have been partial to Muzzy's but not sure why...I have yet to bag a deer with a bow and recently have been considering Rage Broadheads and I know that "Havocs" have been getting some press too.

I recently read a comment that said mechanical broadheads tend to be more accurate vs fixed due to the fact that there is less flight resistence which allows the arrow to stablize more quickly/accurately.

So here is my question:

Which have you found to be more accurate/effective (in kills, at the range etc) - A Mechanical Broad Head or a Fixed? What broadhead would you recommend? Obviously practice with either is a given.

I have shot a bunch of both fixed and mechanical broadheads. Some are good, some are not so good. If you put any decent broadhead in the right spot you are going to be tagging out.

I have been shooting Slick Tricks for a long time and have no bitches about them. They are accurate at extreme bowhunting ranges. They are an awesome, forgiving and accurate broadhead. I changed from mechanical broadheads to Slick Tricks and don't plan on changing anytime soon.

Fixed 3 blade cut on contact. No accuracy problems at all and good strong penetration. I like NAP Hellrazors and also like Magnus Buzzcuts which are different but love them.

I would never use a mechanical. Ever. No reason to. Even if there is a 1% chance they dont open, why risk it when fixed blades fly good and perform flawlessly? The broadheads i mentioned have always flown same as my field tips.

mechanical we shoot spitfire 100gr and thats it. fixed blade slick trick mags, strikers and wac'ems. all are very sharp and very very accurate. our broadheads have to have more than 3 blades. no more 2 blades for us.

I have shot and killed with both. I now and will always use Swhackers, they always open and have virgin blades cutting all the vitals inside the animal. If you are concerned about toughness, don't worry this head was designed with Elk in mind. I have missed shots, picked up my arrow and the head was still in tacked, a little sharpening and good to go!

I love the rage broadheads! Massive entry and exit holes on every animal i have killed with them. They are also very accurate i shoot mine out to 80 yards with no problems at all. The only down fall they do open up in quivers that aren't designed specifically for the rage.

Guest akaspecials

I love the rage broadheads! Massive entry and exit holes on every animal i have killed with them. They are also very accurate i shoot mine out to 80 yards with no problems at all. The only down fall they do open up in quivers that aren't designed specifically for the rage.

I agree with all of this. The animals I've killed with 2 blade Rages looked like a hatchet went through them. They also fly just like field points. However, I've drawn on and elk and pigs and had to let down multiple times due to Rages prematurley opening in the quiver or on my stalk. Needless to say, I'm a fixed blade guy now. If you don't move much (ie hunt from a stand or blind) I am a huge fan of Rages. If you are a spot and stalk guy and move a lot, go fixed blade.

That all being said, almost any broadhead will work fine for deer. The differences between most broadheads are marketing gimmicks IMHO.

I agree with all of this. The animals I've killed with 2 blade Rages looked like a hatchet went through them. They also fly just like field points. However, I've drawn on and elk and pigs and had to let down multiple times due to Rages prematurley opening in the quiver or on my stalk. Needless to say, I'm a fixed blade guy now. If you don't move much (ie hunt from a stand or blind) I am a huge fan of Rages. If you are a spot and stalk guy and move a lot, go fixed blade.

That all being said, almost any broadhead will work fine for deer. The differences between most broadheads are marketing gimmicks IMHO.

I agree. When I'm in a stand I use Rage. On the ground I use Slick Trick. This is the buck I took in August with a Rage. I missed the heart and lungs. It still did the job. He ran about 140 yards. It was impossible not to see the blood trail.

post-3620-0-61707300-1337732056_thumb.jpg

I agree with all of this. The animals I've killed with 2 blade Rages looked like a hatchet went through them. They also fly just like field points. However, I've drawn on and elk and pigs and had to let down multiple times due to Rages prematurely opening in the quiver or on my stalk. Needless to say, I'm a fixed blade guy now. If you don't move much (ie hunt from a stand or blind) I am a huge fan of Rages. If you are a spot and stalk guy and move a lot, go fixed blade.

That all being said, almost any broadhead will work fine for deer. The differences between most broad heads are marketing gimmicks IMHO.

With the Swhacker you don't have to worry about "premature opening," or if they will open at all.

I've seen mech's perform really well for some of my friends - particularly the Rage and newer G5 Tekans, and now I practice with them and have some in my quiver. But I've never shot at game with them. The very best perfoming broadhead I have used is the Muzzy fixed 3 blade. They shoot great out of my setup, and what they hit, they kill. I sold my G5 stikers, Montecs, most of my Slick Tricks (all very good heads) and kept my Muzzy's and Magnus stingers and buzzcuts.

If you shoot a lot of different broadheads, at some point you'll find the one that you trust - and it's different for everyone. For me it's Muzzy, but every setup and individual hunter is different.

Right now I am proficient at 50 yards without question. IMO that is. I can consistently hit the kill zone or size of a paper plate under range conditions to clarify. So if I am looking to extend my shooting range up to 80 yards (nothing beyond that) then a fixed broad head would not effect the flight pattern??

At this point since I have muzzy's and am more of a spot and stalk I suppose I will just stick with them. They are 3 blade.

I agree. When I'm in a stand I use Rage. On the ground I use Slick Trick. This is the buck I took in August with a Rage. I missed the heart and lungs. It still did the job. He ran about 140 yards. It was impossible not to see the blood trail.

That is just a crazy size exit hole!!!!! I have seen smaller exit wounds with my 30-06. If I do hunt from a tree stand or blind I am going to made the investment.....its well worth it from this picture.