Sign in to follow this  
bowhuntaz1

Is this lion sign?

I'm pretty sure it is; but had to ask. So I found what I believe to be Lion scat. I have found the same sized scat every time I go up to this spot. The piles are always found within a 10 yard square. It is filled with bones and fur.

post-3620-0-01932000-1338917316_thumb.jpg

post-3620-0-97721600-1338917436_thumb.jpg

I also think that this is a lion scrape.

post-3620-0-74638500-1338917644_thumb.jpg

Like I said, I'm pretty sure it is from a lion. just looking for conformation.

Thanks

• Like 1

how to id lion poop :: Instructions

Look at size. Generally, the scat of a mountain lion is roughly the same size as dog scat, making it fairly distinct from the much smaller scat of bobcats and the larger scat of deer, elk and other bigger mammals.

Check out the composition. Cougar scat has a fairly consistent composition. However, one of the most noticeable features of cougar scat is the presence of a fair amount of hair, usually the remnants of the animal's last meal.

Look at the shape. While mountain lion scat is similar in size to dog scat it has some noticeable differences. Mountain lion scat has distinctly rounded ends. The scat is also divided into fairly clear segments, each of which is roughly one inch in diameter.

Pay attention to the location. Like most cats, mountain lions are fairly deliberate about where they put their droppings. Mountain lions often leave their scat in the open. For example, you'll find it on the middle of a trail. In many cases, the animal gathers a small pile of debris, such as a pile of twigs or leaves, and then defecates on it as a territorial marker.

</p>

The black pile was found 3 feet from the scrape. I have found the same piles with in a 10 yard square at this same spot. It had elk fur in it with large bone fragments. The LeatherMen is 7 inches long

I heard if you take it and put it a completely different area with a camera on it you should get lion pics. They are very territorial and will eventually come check it out. House cat urine works really well to!

Sure looks like it to me and the last picture is what we call a "lion scratch". A tom's way of marking his territory so to speak.

I heard if you take it and put it a completely different area with a camera on it you should get lion pics. They are very territorial and will eventually come check it out. House cat urine works really well to!

This method seemed to work for me in getting a lion to pose(slow down) enough for a trail cam pic. On the house cat urine ........? Can you just leave the entire house cat ?

DT

• Like 3

I believe Lion or a giant bobcat that was plugged up. I was taught that the only droppings that turn white after being in the environment for a while is that of a cat.. I am not positive I was taught the exact truth but whenever I see white dropping in a good spot on private property and set a leg

This topic reminds me of a book I planned on creating a few years ago.

Title was going to be:

"Know Your $HIT"

Started gathering all my full color field photos of different species, prints, sign, scratches, dung etc

Then I couldn't quite figure out how to finalize it with a bonus scratch and sniff example of each species on the pages.

Family still thinks I'm crazy but I always figured a lot of outdoors people would buy one copy just to get the laugh if it was on the shelf at a sporting goods store.

Could even make them special stateby state editions.

Who knows could still happen?

:blink:

• Like 2

This topic reminds me of a book I planned on creating a few years ago.

Title was going to be:

"Know Your $HIT"

Started gathering all my full color field photos of different species, prints, sign, scratches, dung etc

Then I couldn't quite figure out how to finalize it with a bonus scratch and sniff example of each species on the pages.

Family still thinks I'm crazy but I always figured a lot of outdoors people would buy one copy just to get the laugh if it was on the shelf at a sporting goods store.

Could even make them special stateby state editions.

Who knows could still happen?

:blink:

Dan I think you should jump on this idea! You seem like your the right person for the job!

• Like 1

I was having a hard time getting the live photos I wanted for my book of every animal eating their natural forage, kills etc and then doing their thing to make the book that much more authentic.

It is going to take a lot of time to complete for sure.

Thanks,

The only sure fire way to tell if it's lion scat is to put it in your mouth, chew it up real well and then decide if it taste like lion.

Very cool Dan! Hope to see it out one of these days!

The only sure fire way to tell if it's lion scat is to put it in your mouth, chew it up real well and then decide if it taste like lion.

I laughed out loud. My girlfriend asked me why I was laughing and when I told her what I read she asked "really, does it work?" Then I proceeded to laugh and cry harder. She is definitely not the outdoors woman type.

• Like 2