Sign in to follow this  
218buck

scope for a1000 yard gun

Looking for recommendations for a scope for a long range rifle anyhelp would be greatly appreciated

Hey man 1000 yard scopes include, Nightforce NXS, or G7 and U.S. Optics are the best glass a civilian can buy. Huskemaw, Zeiss and Swaro will get you there too. All scopes mentioned can be made to use turrets.

I think there are more than just those, and some for less money too. SWFA is supposed to make a good scope at a reasonable price. Vortex has a couple of reach out and touch models (Razor, Viper PST, Viper HS LR). I have read some stellar reviews of the Weaver Tactical glass, which is remarkably inexpensive. Then you have some of the high end Burris like the XTR, high end Bushnell like the Elite Tactical, and I don't know I'd leave out Nikon either. They have a couple of super high end models that look great. Sightron has some great offerings, and then there's S&B (which I don't think should be left out of the high end discussions). The new stuff from Steiner looks pretty serious too.

I've been shopping them pretty hard ... You can spend anywhere from $700 to several grand. Price kinda dictates who you go with really.

There are a lot of choices it really depends on what you are using it for, if you have a configuration you are after (reticle, weight, MOA, MIL, focal plane, etc), and what your budget is. I think the best values (<$1K) are Vortex PST, Sightron, SWFA, Bushnell, Burris, and Weaver. Leupold, IOR, Nightforce, and Vortex Razor are in the middle ($1K-$2K) with Premier, US Optics, Schmidt, and Hensoldt the very expensive ones at the top of their class (+$2.5K). I am currently using a Nightforce NXS, Leupold MK IV E/RT, and a Vortex PST on different rifles. I will say the NXS feels the best and seems to be the best thought out of the three but it is not a huge margin from the Leupold. For the money the Vortex is a really solid value just not as refined as the other. It kills me to say it because I am not a leupold guy but my go to rifle in 7mm RM wears the Leupold as it is the best combination of light weight and function, it has a funky Horus reticle that will take it way past 1K yds without the dials if needed, although I would rather dial it in.

Decide what options you need and it may narrow your choices. First focal plane, illumination, zero stop, special reticle, adjustment range, magnification range, all add to the price. One thing you want from the beginning is mil/mil or MOA/MOA matching reticle & turret adjustments unless you already spent time in the military and are comfortable with something else. If you are just starting our I would suggest Vortex or Sightron, you can find all of the options, great warranties, and very good glass. I liked the Weavers but the choices are limited.

Shooting the targets way out there is a blast have fun!

There are a lot of choices it really depends on what you are using it for, if you have a configuration you are after (reticle, weight, MOA, MIL, focal plane, etc), and what your budget is. I think the best values (<$1K) are Vortex PST, Sightron, SWFA, Bushnell, Burris, and Weaver. Leupold, IOR, Nightforce, and Vortex Razor are in the middle ($1K-$2K) with Premier, US Optics, Schmidt, and Hensoldt the very expensive ones at the top of their class (+$2.5K). I am currently using a Nightforce NXS, Leupold MK IV E/RT, and a Vortex PST on different rifles. I will say the NXS feels the best and seems to be the best thought out of the three but it is not a huge margin from the Leupold. For the money the Vortex is a really solid value just not as refined as the other. It kills me to say it because I am not a leupold guy but my go to rifle in 7mm RM wears the Leupold as it is the best combination of light weight and function, it has a funky Horus reticle that will take it way past 1K yds without the dials if needed, although I would rather dial it in.

Decide what options you need and it may narrow your choices. First focal plane, illumination, zero stop, special reticle, adjustment range, magnification range, all add to the price. One thing you want from the beginning is mil/mil or MOA/MOA matching reticle & turret adjustments unless you already spent time in the military and are comfortable with something else. If you are just starting our I would suggest Vortex or Sightron, you can find all of the options, great warranties, and very good glass. I liked the Weavers but the choices are limited.

Shooting the targets way out there is a blast have fun!

What is the magnification on your scopes this stuff is all new to me so i really appreciate your help i keep readig on all these scopes still not sure what i want i have not heard anything negative about the nightforce also good reports from leupold what reticle do you have on yur nxs thanks J.R.

Almost every scope I have is a mil type reticle. If just starting it seems MOA may be a bit easier and more people seem to teach and talk in MOA now. NXS is 3.5-15, MK IV is 6-20, PST is 6-24. They all work nd are very solid, the Leupold is the lightest, the NXS the clearest at full power. Almost all scopes lose a little clarity at the edges when canked all the way up, the NXS is better but partly because it is lower power.

If I didn't emotion it don't cheap out on rings and your base, plan on this for your budget.

• Like 1

I plan on waiting for the Vortex HS XLR FFP which will come out this fall. I also plan to top it off with a 20 MOA one piece rail between the 2 1000+ yards will be very easy to accomplish. I have looked at the nightforce and would love to have one but money is tight and the Vortex model will do everything that 1000+ gun can do. They are around 850.00 which is about half the price of the Nightforce. Take your time and if you would like to see the Nightforce scopes in person our local gun shop (Desert Eagle Guns) have all models in stock. Good luck.

• Like 2

The Vortex looks like a great value with all the bells and whistles!

I will have to check one out as well.

I looked through a Vortex PST FFP 4-16x50 at Sportsmans Warehouse in the North Valley. Hard to get a read on glass clarity in a store, but it was impressive. The only thing I will say is that the reticle disappears against a dark background on lower powers ... about 4-7 or so. That is a bit disconcerting. You'd have to use the thicker outside mains to do your aiming on low power, kinda like a European Reticle. If you aren't going to use the reticle to range or hold over your target, it might be better to have one with SFP. Guess it depends how you will use it. Some other manufacturers may have thicker reticles at lower power. You'd have to look at them.

I have the leupold vxiii 6.5x20 x50. With varmit redicles. The varmit redicles get me out to 600 with out guessing and 700 if u hold head high on coues deer. Very impressed with scope!!! Just ordered a turret to get me the last 300 to get out to 1k. Turret cost $65 dollars threw leupold and they make it accordingly to the bullet u shoot. Also the benefit of have varmit reticles is if I don't have time to set turrets, use reticles as long as not much over 700.. The scope is still $1k I believe the same as when I bought it years ago!! Well worth the money have all the confidence in leupold they have been making the best scopes for years with a great warranty .

i have vortex hs lr on all my long range guns...great optics, spot on turret adjustment, and i like the half min. elevation adjustment too, you get more elev. in one revolution

I use a leupold mark 4 with the ff. It is hard to part with close to 2k on a scope but it is worth it. The mark 4 is worth every penny, but the night force is better. I personaly wont shoot anything without a front focal.