fatfootdoc

broadheads for elk?

I tried those Rocket Ultimate Steels a few years ago and found them to be not user friendly. I cut the crap out of my fingers trying to put them together. I have always enjoyed the Muzzy 4 blade and they come with practice blades for sighting them in.

I use Rocket Steelhead 100's for everything, I believe they fly straight and I zipped one all the way through my elk 3 yrs ago. . . he walked 40 yards and kicked one time. Never knew what hit him, the arrow was ten feet out the other side of him and broke ribs in and out. I am sold.

I like the ultimate Steel 100s alot. Rocket is now making a Ultimate titanium 100 that has a 1" cutting diameter. Lately I've been thinking about switching to the Sonic 100s does anyone have any experience with these?

FFD,

95% of the broadheads out there will perform how you want when place in the right spot. However, each archer needs to find the one that works for him/her. Muzzy's and Thunderheads have probably killed more animals than anything else over the years, but I don't like them for a few reasons. First, they were designed for slower shooting bow's (270 fps or less) 15+ years ago, and second while they can fly well at those speeds, they require soooo much more tuning at the 300+ fps (like many of todays bows shoot.) to get good groups at 60+ yards. It's all going to come down to your personal setup and preference. Field tip consistency is relative to many things. You will hear every person out there say "Shoots just like my field tips"...usually not true but they may shoot similar at shorter distances like 40 yds and under. For my set up, I would chose the following: for strength I'll go with G5 montec's or Shuttle T-locs, for sharpness and distance I'll go with Shuttle T-loc's and Ultimate steel bacon skinners, for cheapness (jackrabbits / yotes) I like ultimate steels (6 pack instead of 3). Many shops (like Bull Basin Archery in Flag) will have several brands of "test" broadheads for you to try, although bring your own target in their range. This kind of service can save you tons of money on broadheadss you wouldn't want to shoot at your elk. In the end; how your bow is tuned, how much you practice, and how much time you want to spend tuning arrows/broadheads will determine how much you like a particular brand. By the way, I don't want to tune broadheads so I choose one that flies great right out of the box. No tuning necessary. This year it will be Shuttle T-Loc's in 11M Bull and 5B speedgoat. Good luck with your hunt.

Colorado Archer

"Pick a small spot then make it Bleed!!"

I shoot Muzzy 3 blade 100gr and have had nothing but good luck with them. Word to the wise, if you choose the Muzzy's they DO NOT fly like your field point, so when you sight in be sure and use the practice blades.

i shot the bull in my avatar pic last year with the rocket steelhead 100. He was broadside and I hit him in the dead center of 1 of his rib bones. the broadhead broke that rib in two and proceeded through him and broke the exact same rib on the other side of him and stuck out of him about 1 inch. I was very pleased.

the reason i chose those broadheads was because of their accuracy and ability to fly exactly like your field points.

Doesn't matter what broadhead you use if you can't hit him in the vitals. Go for the lungs!!!

I really like the way those rocket sidewinders look I bet they would be devastating on an elk with those new bone crushing pathfinder tips.

I shoot steel force. They have very good penetration, and fly vey good for me. I have killed 1 elk, 1 mule deer, 1 black bear , 2 javelina and a turkey with them and never had a problem. I hit my Bull last year quartering away, and when I recovered the arrow the broadhead was still razor sharp.

No one can go wrong with Slick Tricks, never will break unless you hit a rock head on and needs very little sharpening , does pretty well holding it's sharpness and the accuracy is so good that we can only shoot 1 or 2 arrows at a time...otherwise we'll slice off fletchings

ket Ultimate Steel 100's are awesome. At first glance you do not think they could hold up, but it is one tough little piece of metal. I shot last years bull at 24 yards and the arrow passed through both shoulder blades and landed 10 yards past from where he was standing. In this picture you can see the exit wound on his right side.Joe_001.jpg

I also shoot the 100 grain muzzy,from quail to buffalo they have never let me down. I am now shooting a 06 bowtec with them and have a 60 yard pin with great success and my 02 martin has a 80 yard pin and be accurate to a pie plate, I think what ever broadhead you decide spend the time to make it work for you. I try to shoot 10 arrows every day, year round. practice and practice and get to know your set up. when the time comes to shoot that bull, the arrow will hit where you aimed at. mike

Has anybody shot the Montec G5 and had any luck. They seem to shoot the best for me . They also seem like there is less room for failure being a one piece broadhead. what do you guys think.

Hey Jason, I love the Montec G5's. I was hesitant at first 'cause they seem like a big chunk of steel! But, they fly awesome for me also. I shoot the 100 gr. and killed my last bull with them. I ended up taking a "smoker" shot on that bull at close range through a hole in a cedar. I thought he was broadside but later found out he was quartering toward me. The arrow slid along his shoulder blade, long ways through a couple of ribs on the way in and on the way out and stopped, hanging half way out along his opposite hip! I needed the penetration on that risky shot and got it with that broadhead. Very accurate, tough, and dependable.........nothing to fall apart or rattle loose in the quiver. JIM>

If you're not concerned about resharpening, G5 Montec all the way. They fly great and cut well - just very hard to resharpen to shaving sharp, IMO. This will be my first year shooting Slick Trick but after about 2 years of nothing but praise on the BowSite I figure they are worth trying out. Also, take a look at the ReadHead "BlackOut". It's just a G5 Striker with 1" cutting diameter but you won't believe the sharpness out of the package. (BTY, the G5 Striker is a Wac'Em knock-off but a little better, IMO.)

Good luck!

J

Good topic with and great info!!!!

B)

Based on a recommendation from Randy Ulmer two years ago, I switched to Rocky Mountain Snypers (mechanical, 1 3/8 inch cut). He uses them for all his hunts. I have shot and killed a pig and a coues and a turkey with them with excellent results. Full cuts on the entry wound. Before I killed the coues, I was so jazzed that I missed and hit him in the very end of the ear. The broadhead even expanded as it went through the ear, and gave me a full cut in the end of the ear. That sold me on the Snyper. I will be using them on elk without a worry, if I ever get a tag!

bowsniper