twigsnapper

Things your huntin buddies do that drive you nuts : )

On two separate trips, several years apart, I've had hunting "Partners" that "forgot" to mention they could only hunt the opening weekend of our long planned full season Elk hunts...both had naturally rode all the way to camp in my vehicle (to save gas) before telling me of this little detail...both loudly complained that they did not speak up earlier because they knew I would make them drive themselves to camp....Ya think????...one "Partner" ended up renting a car for the trip home to Tucson from Flagstaff...the other had his wife pick him up in Flagstaff.....Turns out I burned some bridges with those "Partners" as they never even asked to hunt with me again.....What the heck, I thought my taking them in to town was a great demonstration of camaraderie and sacrifice.....

Good for you! I think most would have made them walk to town. :lol:

• Like 1

I got a hunting partner that snores so loud its ridiculous and keeps me from sleeping. We have hunted a lot together and no matter how far away from him I try to sleep he just wont shut up! Finally after quite a few years I invested in some ear plugs so I wouldn't smother him in his sleep with his pillow.

Besides...I would feel guilty suffocating my own dad ;)

Thanks old man for all the good hunts. Guess I am one of the lucky ones too...not to much to complain about.

On the flip side I don't hunt with people who are very inexperienced when I am looking to tag out.

If I am with someone that is not very experienced then I try to be patient....can't expect much from someone who doesnt know much.

My own father would have shot me & my brother years ago if he had got upset for messing up his hunts haha

• Like 2

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That is funny my dad is the same way he sleeps in a tent by himself most of the time about 50 yds from anyone else. It is a mystery of science how loud some people can snore it does not seem possible!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That is funny my dad is the same way he sleeps in a tent by himself most of the time about 50 yds from anyone else. It is a mystery of science how loud some people can snore it does not seem possible!

Glad I am not the only one! To be honest I think our dads got it figured out....as kids we would not sleep all night and then just sleep all day which shut us up. Looking back on it they probably planned that to have a quiet hunt.

People that think that in order to have a succesful hunt they have to kill their game.... and if they dont kill anything they get mad and are in a bad mood.

Ernesto C

• Like 2

Well I am the horse to pasture mentioned earlier, lol. Also in my defense she was hot and I called him in route to make sure I beat him to my house and we weren't late, but i was late for a fishing trip one of my last hitches home. Lol. But with Ant being my main hunting and fishing buddy my only real complaint is that dang long stride, especially on a guy I have 80-100lbs on.

But of our "tag alongs" it's being late on multiple occasions.

Whining that we didn't find them anything.

Asking for the main groups "honey holes".

People who never bring supplies.

Gripe #1: Being kind of new to the AZ hunting scene (military transplant to AZ)- I have had two or three acquaintences (they're not even at hunting buddy status) who always talk a huge game about "yeah, we need to go hunting" or "yeah, I'll show you a few spots" but can never seem to get out of the house... I know life gets in the way sometimes, but man- we had our first child in January and I was still able to get out for the rut archery hunt a few weekends, and then with a newborn able to camp out for my spring Javi tag a few days. My wife is awesome, I know that is the reason... But she is able to plan ahead because I plan ahead. And darn it if you say you wanna link up to go hunting/scouting, you need to follow through!

Gripe #2: Dudes who hate getting up early. On our Javi Tags this past spring, I camped with some really good friends- but they're not what I would consider good hunters. They don't like waking up early, and they'd rather plink targets and eat breakfast (to their credit, they bring only the best premium bacon) than creep around in the twilight getting to a spot.

I hate hunting by myself (safety), and thus since I haven't found my camo-hetero-AZ hunting soul mate yet... I gotta keep enduring the gripes.

This will be the first year I've had this annoying problem, but really hate when my hunting buddies get drawn for Dec. WT tags the same year I do.

I'm lucky to have a few hunt buddies that I've shared some awesome experiences with. And this year I had it ALL FIGURED OUT! I'd get drawn for the Dec WT tag in 33, the other would get an October tag, and the other would get OTC bow and possibily a November rifle tag. Helping them out is like having 3 separate hunts for me.

We all put in separate apps. I get drawn for Dec 33 WT. Then, I get the call from one buddy that he also got drawn for Dec. WT in 33 with only 5 points. Well at least I have the other buddy that can help out, afterall he only had 1 bonus point. Nope, he gets drawn for Dec WT also.

Looks like we are all waiting until December now....Jackwagons!

I don't hunt with very many people. Only two really and funny enough, they are both named Bruce. One is my bro-in-law. He's a New Zealand transplant, tough as nails and climbs like a billy goat. The other is a friend I met online and started hunting with. The most generous guy I've ever met and a great mentor. Both are always on time, bring great snacks and have great attitudes. I've been very lucky to make the freinds I have. No complaints what so ever. Nope... Can't think of one bad thing about either of them. I've actually argued with both of them at different times about who was gonna go after an animal that was glassed up... The twist is, I want them to go after the animal and they want me to go after it. That's a friend!

• Like 4

I would have to say all my friends are pretty good hunters we all hunted before we could drive,with our dads and after we turned 16 we started hunting together, going the range, spotlighting, all that fun jazz you can do when you live in the country and have a truck. We all started to help eachother on everyones seperate hunts in Hs and now that everyone is in college it's easier to just hunt together. Everyone definitely chips in and usually our buddy that fills his or our diesel truck with red diesel (shhhh keep that on the DL) doesnt have to chip in for food.Myself and our other buddy usually get all the food depending on how long the hunt is. The biggest rule in our hunting party is hitting the range or out somewhere in a field in eloy and practice shooting, because on every hunt there is hours of hiking and >1 minute of shooting and that's the difference between meat in the freezer and a filled tag or going home empty. It doesn't matter what anyone shoots as long as they shoot well.

• Like 1

I got a hunting partner that snores so loud its ridiculous and keeps me from sleeping. We have hunted a lot together and no matter how far away from him I try to sleep he just wont shut up! Finally after quite a few years I invested in some ear plugs so I wouldn't smother him in his sleep with his pillow.

Besides...I would feel guilty suffocating my own dad ;)

Thanks old man for all the good hunts. Guess I am one of the lucky ones too...not to much to complain about.

On the flip side I don't hunt with people who are very inexperienced when I am looking to tag out.

If I am with someone that is not very experienced then I try to be patient....can't expect much from someone who doesnt know much.

My own father would have shot me & my brother years ago if he had got upset for messing up his hunts haha

That's funny. I got to the point where I wouldn't let my Dad sleep in my tent. He snored like an entire herd of Buffalo.

• Like 1

Took a friend hunting once in Unit 27. The guy had a "Bear Phobia". He was deathly afraid of bears. He thought there was a bear behind every tree just waiting to get him. He wouldn't even sleep in a tent. He wouldn't even go a quarter of a mile from a road. It was very annoying.

• Like 1

I haven't read all the way through so this has probably been said, but my hunting buddies always kill bigger bucks then I do.... Sob's

I haven't read all the way through so this has probably been said, but my hunting buddies always kill bigger bucks then I do.... Sob's

Quit shooting the small ones.

• Like 1