Sign in to follow this  
sniper

Got my bear!

I had been calling all day with no success. I was targeting bear/lion and only managed to bring a few fox, which barked at me repeatedly. Since archery deer just opened, lots of people were out driving around and I figured I was making my stands a little too close to the road.

Around noon, I decided to hike in a little ways to try to get away from all the noise. I parked the quad and was about 2 miles in when I found a small meadow in the middle of some thick trees. I snuck in and was going to place the caller down somewhere while trying to figure out the best place to set up. I looked up on the STEEP mountain side in front of me and saw something big moving in a bare spot. I pulled up my binos and....IT WAS A BEAR! I ranged it at just over 500 yards.

The thought to just drop down and shoot it came to mind, and then maybe to try calling it....Well, there was just too much thick stuff between me and the bear and if I tried calling it, I would not be able to see it until it got right on top of me, if it even made it in to the meadow. I was already out of breath and I quickly ran to the far edge of the meadow, as close as I could get before the thick brush blocked my view.

I threw my pack over a large downed tree and placed my .308 over my pack, ranged it one more time at 434 yards and tried to steady for a shot. I was breathing so hard that I could not hold it steady! My heart was pounding and sweat was pouring from my face. The bear was moving slightly and if it moved much further out of the bare spot on that mountainside, I would probably never see it again. I knew that time was critical here, but I couldn't just throw a bad shot at it. Finally, I took a few deep breaths and slowly squeezed one off.

The bear reacted and ran down hill about 15 feet into some thick brush. I felt good about the shot but there was a pretty big angle as well as the distance. I picked up my bino's instantly and tried to look for movement in the brush to track the bear. I didn't see any. Time to hike!

This mountain was so steep. I was hustling to get up there and was slipping and sliding all over. The terrain was thick manzanita, scrub oak and random bushes. I weaved myself through them and made my way up. I got to the bare spot finally found some blood! Once I found the blood, there was a large blood trail that led me down the mountain. I thought I kept seeing it laying there, as I saw a dark spot in the thick brush ahead of me. Finally, I saw what I thought was a round ear, and it was!!!! A really nice dark brown sow with thick fur and nice full head. Judging by the size and teeth, I would guess it is an older bear. I was very happy with the size of the bear it looked huge! The shot actually hit the bear perfectly. Through and through both lungs. Left a great blood trail and she expired quickly. I wish she made it further down the mountain though!

Now I am on a STEEP mountainside and have this monster bear. I didn't think it would work so good to skin her out at that angle and I tried to drag her, but I could barely budge her. The only way to move her was to free the bear from the trees that stopped her sliding and let her roll down the hill. I did this several times, as it got caught in some trees every 10 feet. Finally I got to a flat spot at the bottom. I took a few pics and spent the next hour skinning her out. What a job! And of course, it starts to rain....HARD! I have no idea how to estimate what a bear weights, but just the hide with the head inside must be around 90-100 lbs..I loaded my pack with meat, slung my rifle and threw the bear hide over my shoulder. Still raining, I carried the bear all the way to the quad, which took nearly 45 minutes at a pretty fast pace. My shoulders and neck are killing me!

What a great experience. I was very lucky to see the bear at that moment, but also remember that you put yourself in positions like that for success. I decided that I needed to get further into the wilderness to see animals and I did. After calling in a bear for my buddy last year, I finally tagged out!

DSCN1457.jpg

Dane that bear is huge!!! Congrats sniper!

Huge congrats on a huge bear! That is a great looking bear. Thats going to make an awesome mount!