Sign in to follow this  
Bowsniper Jr.

2nd archery coues

Sorry about the long read, I like to write. :D

At about o'dark thirty, my dad (Bowsniper) and I stumbled out of the camper and started tromping on over to our coues spot. Once we finally got there and set up, we started to take turns taking naps. At about midmorning a couple of forkies finally came by. But the dang rude deer just wouldn't give me a shot. So they just putz around, munchin on an acorn here and there, all the while with their butts facing me. Then they just kinda stumbled off. :( Geez, the nerve of some deer. <_< So we just sat there the rest of the day, only seeing a doe every now and then. Maybe I'll have better luck tommorow. -_-

So we changed spots, hoping to have better luck than yesterday. We got in the blind and all set up right when it started getting light. This one doe comes by, and I just berely move my head to get a better look at her, and she looks straight at me. It was almost like she could see through the netting and into the blind. She was looking straight at me and into my eyes, almost like she was looking in my soul. It was creepy. :blink: Now she's not just peeking in my soul, but she starts stomping her foot while she stands there. Then she starts wheezing. That woke my dad up. So now she is stomping and wheezing, almost like to a beat, all the while giving me a cold, hard, death stare. Then she sprints, stops, looks back at me with those cold eyes, and then trots off. :ph34r: Ok, a doe that acts like a 100' coues buck while some does don't even run away when you unzip a blind and stand up. I guess different deer have different personalities.

Anyway, at about midmorning, these three bucks come by. One is a 3 by 2, and the other two are forkies (all with eyeguards). One forky was slightly bigger than the other, but the smaller one was a lot prettier. Right when they come by the 3 by 2 presents me a shot at 20 yards. I was accurate out to 20 yards, but that was target practice, it's alot different on the hunt when your knees are jumping up and down with your heart jumping out of your throat. I didn't feel like I would make a very good shot, so i passed. Just like the day before, they just putzed around for about 15 min while I was just trying to take deep breaths. Finally, the pretty forky gives me a shot, and I take it. Whoosh, and he's gone. At first I thought that the shot was too far back, but when we see the blood trail, we start to think that I might have clipped a lung. When my dad sees all this blood on the side of a tree, from about 15 or 20 yards away from where I shot him, he says "He's dead, I just know it." And my dad was right, about 100 yards away, my buck is laying under a tree with half an arrow sticking out of him. So it turns out that it was a far back shot, but since he was quartering away (which I didn't notice at the time), the arrow sliced up his liver and went right into his lung. Sure there was a lot of blood, but it started to get sparser at the end, and we might not have found him without that string tracker, that thing is awesome. :P

So thats the story of my second archery buck.

Thanks for reading! :) - Bowsniper Jr.

post-4313-0-66832200-1346540641_thumb.jpg

GREAT STORY. I felt like I was there! Congrats on knowing your limits and passing a shot that you are not comfortable with! Great buck and great hunt! thanks for sharing!

AWESOME JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats on your 2nd Coues!!

RIGHT ON LITTLE MAN!!!!!! You are going to be a Coues huntin machine. I bet you hit your 100' mark before you are 16. Congrats again and way to teach em DAD!!!!

Way to go Daniel! You showed tremendous patience and self control. I am one very proud papa! :D

Dad

Congrats! You have done something that 70% of bow hunters will never do.

That is right. I've been bow hunting fo 20 years and still have not got my first buck! You have out done me already. Great job! And even greater, knowing what your comfortable shooting range distance was and sticking to it.