Sign in to follow this  
Cowman

Dad's buck

My dad had the good fortune of drawing a coveted AZ goat tag. His second one ever but first in 14 years. We were both busy with work all summer but managed two days of August scouting and then arrived in the unit on Tuesday evening before the hunt started. We were fortunate to see a lot of antelope and had several days away from work to enjoy the hunt.

We had seen several good bucks but none that Dad felt was a shooter until the night before the opener. We were trying to access a hard to get to spot and ended up a long way from anywhere trying to get there. We stumbled across this buck that evening and were very fortunate to get decent video of him and watched from about 500 yards as he tended his does. We left him at dark and made the hour long journey back to camp. After looking over the video, Dad decided there was no way he could pass up this pretty of a buck on opening morning. Some units are better known for producing giant bucks and ours wasn't one of them. So 3:30 the alarm goes off and by daylight we are sitting right where we left the buck the night before, gun loaded. After a few hours and some repositioning Dad made a great shot and hunt over!

Haven't put a tape to him but we are very happy. Enjoy the pics and video of the buck the night before the hunt. Check out the wicked cool pigmentation on one of the does in the video. Never seen this before on an antelope. Special thanks to my longtime friend for all your help and especially for getting us started in the right direction. You know who you are.

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aFAlmubI8pY?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

post-2258-0-68345000-1348631073_thumb.jpg

post-2258-0-12716000-1348631102_thumb.jpg

post-2258-0-62262000-1348631117_thumb.jpg

Gorgeous buck! Congrats to your dad!!! I also love the live footage, very cool to have....

Great buck! Congrats to your dad and I cannot wait to hunt with my dad when he has a tag of his own!

Great looking antelope. Congrats to your dad on filling the tag on a great buck.

Thanks for sharing your Dad's buck. Great picture of Dad and you. :)

TJ

Sweet looking lope! Great job on the pictures and video. Congratulations!

Congrats! That is one cool buck!

Oh yeah! Way to get it done Pal! Congrats to Pops on the dandy speed goat! Also thanks again for hanging out with us last weekend it was awesome to get Bloody!