Sign in to follow this  
azcouesfanatic

Hypothetical Bear Questions????

I wouldnt shoot. In my opinion that is the other guys bear. He is chasing it legally. I wouldnt shoot an elk or deer if i saw someone stalking it either. There are plenty of bears outthere.

Haha Tyler. That's a good one. Do you pull that on your students as well. Do what you want but if you shoot it out from I front of someone's dogs you better be ready for more then just and explanation. When it come to bear hunters, they are a different breed the. Just hunters out to shoot a bear. They can get very serious about their dogs trailing a bear. I know for a Fact.

Haha Tyler. That's a good one. Do you pull that on your students as well. Do what you want but if you shoot it out from I front of someone's dogs you better be ready for more then just and explanation. When it come to bear hunters, they are a different breed the. Just hunters out to shoot a bear. They can get very serious about their dogs trailing a bear. I know for a Fact.

Yes I do pull that one with my students,

Let's just say if a bear was being chased by hounds, I would have no idea

If you can hear then it would be a different story for you

As for bear hunters being a different breed from majority of hunters, I agree with you, I have met bear hunters and had noting in common with them, they have a huge passion for the chase while I have the passion for putting animals down for a dirt nap

I've been on several bear chases with dogs, and even when the dogs are on a bear, there are still no guarantees. More often than not I believe, and have experienced, that the bears get away from dogs and or the hunter. If the dogs have the bear treed or are right on it’s heals it is one thing, that bear belongs to the dog hunter. But if the bear is running and the dogs are not to be seen, I think it is an open opportunity. After all weren't you on the ridge glassing first, and were you not the first to see the bear, dogs included? Just my two cents. I’m sure I will hear about it from many on here who disagree.

• Like 1

I wouldn't be glassing a ridge, but would be predator calling beneath it. Would be hard to tell if the bear was running to the call or away from pursuing dogs. Depends on how close or far away the barking is and whether or not I see a bear before I hear dogs barking. One could surely glass or call a bear in before its tracks are cut by dogs, and in that case, tag it. But, if dogs are in hot pursuit, I would back off. That being said, I was calling in 23N yesterday and ran into some hound hunters. I spoke a few kind words with them and headed off on the next FR road to call in an area more inaccessable to their rigs. And guess what? There was still plenty of room for all of us to share the forest, even with our different hunting methods.

• Like 2

Do what I do, shoot and then explain that you are a deaf person

I like Tylers answer.

You da man!!!! Prob the only one they can't get mad at!!!!

I recently was in a situation similar to this. I started walking up a mountain before daylight in an area where I had seen some bears. My dad and I made it to the top where the bears were right at first light and then we heard the dogs. There were dogs running all over the hill the rest of the morning. It really sucked to hike all that way to have it ruined. we did not ever see a bear but if I did I would have shot. There are many bears on the hill, how do you know which one the dogs are on?

• Like 2

I think it would almost be impossible to not know if a bear was being chased by hounds. If you were to shoot the bear, you're guaranteed to have a confrontation with an angry houndsman. At the tree, the dogs are tied up for their safety, an injured bear presents a big problem. If you wound the bear while the dogs aren't tied up, it can lead to disaster. Trust me, you don't want to face a houndsman if he feels you're responsible for the death of his dogs

If you go the other way and show some courtesy (and you have a tag in your pocket), you never know, they might let you take the bear.

You can always ask the two guys that went missing last year during the bear hunt. they ended up finding them with the crap kicked out of them and they were both locked in their own dog box on the back of his truck. There was an argument at a bear tree about whos dogs started the race first. The game wardens came into our bear camp to see if we had seen the guiys when tghey were missing. then stoped back by to tell us they found them all ther guys dogs were gone also. i dont know how it ended but this shouild go to show you they are serious about running bear up on the mountain.

You can always ask the two guys that went missing last year during the bear hunt. they ended up finding them with the crap kicked out of them and they were both locked in their own dog box on the back of his truck. There was an argument at a bear tree about whos dogs started the race first. The game wardens came into our bear camp to see if we had seen the guiys when tghey were missing. then stoped back by to tell us they found them all ther guys dogs were gone also. i dont know how it ended but this shouild go to show you they are serious about running bear up on the mountain.

Sounds like a great story, I want to know more about this one!

Sounds like a great story, I want to know more about this one!

+1