Sign in to follow this  
az41mag

My lunchtime buck

Well, I thought I would share my recent deer hunt. To sum up a long story; I located three very mature bucks that morning, and then lost them when moving to the next ridge for a better shot. Isn’t it funny how sometimes they just seem to vanish? After glassing hopelessly the rest of the morning, I decided to find a shady spot to eat lunch. I found a shady spot to eat my lunch, and across a wash there was a buck starring back at me. After about a 2 minute starring contest he eventually presented me with a perfect broadside shot, and the 140 gr. Accubond from my 7mm mag at 127 yards dropped him. Needless to say, I didn’t get to eat lunch until later that evening, hence the name “lunchtime buck”.

He’s no monster, but for my first deer and hunting solo I am very happy. Being that this was my first successful deer hunt (with many unsuccessful deer hunts under my belt); it sure is a good feeling when everything comes together and it all works out. When all the planning, preparation, scouting and time invested finally pays off, it sure is worth it. Good luck to all those with upcoming hunts.

post-5555-0-13697300-1351795307_thumb.jpg

Here is my 1969 Rem 700 in 7mm Mag. I refinished the stock, installed the recoil pad, and glassbedded the action just prior to my hunt.

post-5555-0-08174200-1351795488_thumb.jpg

This is a shed I found in one of the areas I was hunting... just couldn't find the buck that it came from. I'm guessing this guy was a fighter, a couple of the tine tips are broken and there are lots of chips and scrapes.

post-5555-0-13731000-1351795596_thumb.jpg

Congratulations! Great looking first buck. Sometimes you just have to be in the right place at the right time. What unit were you in?

Congratulations on a nice buck. Nice to see someone else appreciates a 41 mag. Nice job on the rifle stock. Looks like a nice set up.

Congrats on a nice first buck, it is very rewarding when it all comes together!

Very sweet Buck! Congrats to you man, well done. I will post pics and story of our hunt next week, hopefully my brother tags out before then. It's been tough so far, been seeing tons of forkys just no big boys yet. Congrats again Clint