Jbird

Killing small bucks

I've tagged far more mature bucks than little ones, but the little ones do taste better. To each their own. . .

My personal opinion is that reducing the number of December tags would have a bigger impact on a units trophy potential than point restrictions.

Big bucks are rare, specially in october with all the pressure they do not come out that is why the get big. if i had a tag and don't see any deer i will shoot anything with horns.

point restrictions was heavily debated in pennsylvania a few years ago. ultimately they decided to pass a point restriction law. I am not 100% positive but I think it has turned out to be a positive/successful thing. after a couple years into the program success rates are back up and the average age, size and antlers of the harvested deer are bigger than before the program was implemented.

• Like 1

I have always been a fan of implementing a 3 point or better rule. What all you meat hunters are failing to understand is with better management you have better numbers which means increase for opportunity and eventually should be just as easy to shoot yourself a healthy 5 year old 3 point than a 2 year old spike. Some of you with trail cameras are well aware what just one year can do for a buck.

• Like 2

Jbird,

You have done a lot of talking, but we have yet to see any 'proof in the pudding". How about some pictures of big bucks you've killed with a knife, bare hands, or less then 100 yards with a rifle? Or are you all talk and have never killed a mature buck?

With over 7000 posts to my 34 it seems you've done much more talking than I have. I never said I've killed many - or any big bucks. I don't use cameras or bait to find deer. I don't use deer to prove how good I am. I don't shoot baby deer. I don't take " maybe" shots. I have the same box of ammo I bought 10 years ago with 10 rounds left. I put in plenty of work to hit what I aim at. I know my deer rifle. The rest are just toys. My .50 is my big toy. I hunt on the same mtns, mostly on my property, and shoot one round at a deer I know I can kill. I give half the meat away. And I don't think all that much of myself. But I do call it as I see it.

And now I see I have to move on. I'm also waiting on word about where to go. I hope to go back east and help for a few weeks. My job/profession allows me freedom to do what I want.

" don't get hung up on scores. Get hung up on hunting" lark

Where is he anyway?

Probably doesn't post any more because of haters like you jbird. Do us all a favor and don't post your crap anymore.

Honestly enjoy the hunt, but if trophy is your thing good, just dont fence me into it please.

You wouldn't be fenced in. Many units would have this restriction. If you wanted the opportunity to shoot a spike or two-point you could put in for one of the units without the restriction. If you have no desire to shoot a spike or two point, like mylself, you could put in for a unit with the restrictions and have a better chance at a big buck.

I would agree that the restriction should not apply to youth and archery hunts.

Seems to me that if everyone only shot "big bucks" then there would be lots of hunters going home empty handed. Then, there would be a bunch of deer. Then, Fish and Game would issue even more tags to try to thin the herd. Then, even more hunters would not shoot baby deer. Then, Fish and Game would issue even more tags. You get the idea. We all should be mindfull of the future of our herd, and should honor the game with the best ethics, of your choice, that are within legal methods. And yes, I have a cartoon avatar because I am a lazy road hunter that can't even shoot a spike.

I know new mexicos rules the two point with eye gaurds is a legal animal

Sorry that is not the definition of a legal buck in NM....forked horn antler is all that is needed...NO eye guard. That rule was changed years ago.

Thats a tough one to behonest. Sometimes you just jump a buck and the blood gets pumping and you don't have time to see if its a fork or a three point. But that would be nice to see the spikes and forks get mature and put out trophies. On the other hand, I think it would be a good idea to "weed out" the ugle looking small 3 points and leave the pretty looking ones to get bigger. Just me.

I hate how some people tell others how to hunt and what they should shoot!

Completely agree! It's funny how tough people get sitting behind their computer. People say things that they would never say person to person.

Jbird,

You have done a lot of talking, but we have yet to see any 'proof in the pudding". How about some pictures of big bucks you've killed with a knife, bare hands, or less then 100 yards with a rifle? Or are you all talk and have never killed a mature buck?

With over 7000 posts to my 34 it seems you've done much more talking than I have. I never said I've killed many - or any big bucks. I don't use cameras or bait to find deer. I don't use deer to prove how good I am. I don't shoot baby deer. I don't take " maybe" shots. I have the same box of ammo I bought 10 years ago with 10 rounds left. I put in plenty of work to hit what I aim at. I know my deer rifle. The rest are just toys. My .50 is my big toy. I hunt on the same mtns, mostly on my property, and shoot one round at a deer I know I can kill. I give half the meat away. And I don't think all that much of myself. But I do call it as I see it.

And now I see I have to move on. I'm also waiting on word about where to go. I hope to go back east and help for a few weeks. My job/profession allows me freedom to do what I want.

" don't get hung up on scores. Get hung up on hunting" lark

Where is he anyway?

Probably doesn't post any more because of haters like you jbird. Do us all a favor and don't post your crap anymore.

Well said! By the way stomp good shooting and congrats on your deer! I've always been a firm believer if you have the right tools, knowledge and practice anything is possible!

• Like 1

I can almost bet I've have a 3x3 hanging on the wall that is smaller than most for 2 pts or forks...I have glassed plenty of 3 pts that were 2 year old deer, also this weekend in NM I found a 2 x 0 that was legal even with an antler restriction... I did not shoot it.

There are plenty of big bucks in EVERY unit... just go find them, don't restrict me from hunting in any unit because you want more alleged larger bucks.

• Like 3

Jbird, I dont know what horses butt you crawled out of, but you need to learn to shut your mouth. The state regulations state that it is LEGAL to shoot spikes and forkies, so people shoot spikes and forkies, now you know more about wildlife than Game and Fish....... some have said that people get tough sitting at their computer, hope I run into you out in "Bambiland" I will tell you straight to your face what I think of you !!!!!

My dad and Grandfather brought me up to hunt, funny that they also taught me that it is better to keep your mouth shut and thought a Jackass than to open it and remove all doubt !!!!

Till we meet again !!

• Like 2

I agree that there is nothing wrong with shooting a spike or forky if that is what you want. I am not trying to be sentimental but I personally would rather kill a buck that has had a chance to live for awhile. Never really had the desire to kill juvenile animals, even when I was young. Guess I got it from my Dad. Just like there is nothing wrong with going to the lake and catching a limit of 10" trout and having a fish fry if that is what you want. I would rather put the 10 inchers back in hopes that I could come back in a few months and catch him when he is 14". Just my preference. Just like some fisheries are managed for trophy fish with mimimum sizes, I would like to see G&F manage some deer units for trophies with a minimum size just like has been done successfully in some other states.

The giant 109" forkie someone posted comes to mind. It would really suck to have to pass up on that one. I would like to see more mature bucks out there though.