Sign in to follow this  
maloney2121

"cuterebra" or nasal flies???

Just curious I was helping a buddy with his hunt and he was blessed with a nice buck. After cutting him up we began to prep the deer head to be boiled and found these grub look things in the head and throat area and just about freaked out. After looking into it a little more I figure they are "cuterebra" or nasal flies. I have a couple question hopefully some people would be able to help me with first of all is the deer meat still good for consumption? Is this something that should be reported to the game and fish? We went ahead and put the meat in the freezer for now but wont be eating it anytime soon until we find out for sure we can still eat the meat. Also is Bot Fly's the same thing? It would be greatly appreciated if I could get some Info so I know can help put my buddy's mind at ease and figure out what we can do with the meat.

I have seen flies or worms in the nasal passage of most of my coues. I ate them all, I am a little over weight because of all the mashed taters and gravy I had with them but other than thatthe doc says I am alive and well.

No worries here, eat the meat, most deer will have magets in thier sinus's, throat. The last mule deer I killed had a crazy amount and it got me worried a little. My taxidermist even said that it was the most he had ever seem. It will not affect the meat, just the animal's ability to breath.

http://en.wikipedia..../Tarantula_hawk

if they can't find a tarantula they lay eggs on any furbearing animal-rabbit, deer, cow, etc. the larvae become parasites and look like something out of star trek....

eat the venison it's fine. if you can't i'm in show low donations accepted....

lee

dude, that's just straight barbaric!

I will never see those wasps the same again!

James

we caught some big halibut in alaska and all fish had worms in them it was freaky they were somewhat translucent to the filleted meat but moving around we still ate the halibut.

http://en.wikipedia..../Tarantula_hawk

if they can't find a tarantula they lay eggs on any furbearing animal-rabbit, deer, cow, etc. the larvae become parasites and look like something out of star trek....

eat the venison it's fine. if you can't i'm in show low donations accepted....

lee

dude, that's just straight barbaric!

I will never see those wasps the same again!

James

There are quite a few types of Wasps that attack spiders around here. Usually they are about 3/4-1" and have a blue hue to them.

Don't make it on here much anymore and just saw this. I killed about a 175" muley buck in 1998 that had bot fly larvae in the sinus. The buck was emaciated and only weighed about 130#. The meat was so bad that the dog wouldn't eat it. Now muley meat is never as good as WT but generally, it is edible. I attributed his physical condition to the parasite infestation. I have had a hard time eating mule deer now, period. I would probably not be able to eat WT if I found one in this condition, either.