Outdoor Writer

My COPD Ram

I just want to say thanks for all the kind words for helping out Tony but I need to clear up a few things. First of all I really didn't do anything special and it was a team effort between Tony, his son Keith, and myself. Tony having COPD was a big factor on this hunt and I want to say he did really well. I won't get into the hunt and let Tony tell the sory but I will say he made an excellent stock over 700yrds and made a perfect shot at 175yrds.

I came to Az in 1973 and Tony's stories in Az Hunters & Anglers were among many of his articles I read. Over the years of reading his stories in many publications I became fasinated with his writing. I dreamed of the hunts he wrote about. When I heard he had drawn a sheep tag after 40 plus yrs I knew I wanted to be on his hunt more than anything. I was just hoping he would say I was welcome after offering.

I can't tell you how much pleasure it has brought me to have been part Tony's bighorn hunt. Tony has hunted more places than I could ever imagine and I never got tired of listening to his stories.

This might have been Tony's hunt but believe me I got more from this hunt than anyone could ever imagine.

TJ

• Like 3

Congratulations to Tony, Kieth and TJ for getting it done after 40 years of putting in for a tag!

Just so everyone knows, I ain't ignoring you!!! I've been on the golf course since we got back in town. :rolleyes:

Seriously, though, I haven't felt well over the last two days, but I certainly want to say a hearty thanks to all for the congrats. Even if it was more perfunctory than sincere for some, I still appreciate it. And as soon as I feel up to it, I'll put a little tale together.

Now for some unfinished business....

First off, TJ you're too modest, but I ain't gonna go all mushy and carry on. ;)

Next...some other folks need mentioned

When I first posted about getting a tag in 45C on CWT, I received a PM here from Louis Crum (CWT name: lcyardball) who had a tag in 45C last year and killed a nice ram. Since that first PM, he has provided a wealth of information and input via PMs here and regular email.

Next is Ernesto C. who contacted me last week to see if I wanted him to help. He spent a day opening weekend scouting in the unit and saw two decent rams. So when we arrived on Weds., he drove north from Yuma and picked us up in his truck. The four of us spent the rest of the day glassing the area in and around where he spotted the two sheep. Unfortunately for me, he had to leave on a deer hunt in Sonora early Fri. Still, he was prepared to rejoin the hunt when he returned the following week.

I had also spoke with Corky Richardson before I had left. He and his son Russell were getting ready to leave Fri. afternoon to come join us for the weekend. My wife Ellen managed to get him on his cell phone in time.

And then there's our own Amanda. Although it took her a day or two, she had her horse all saddled and was heading down on Fri., as well. TJ and I had been in contact with her throughout our preparations. Shortly after the ram was down, he called her and told her she could put the horse back in the barn. I think she was a bit disappointed because she wanted to be there for the kill. I wish she had been.

Lastly, Ellen deserves a big kiss. She spent most of Sun., Mon. and Tues. pre-cooking food for us. We had lasagna, chicken parmesan, pulled pork, pork tenderloin, steaks, smoked brisket, ribs, roast beef, spagetti w/sauage & meatballs, cole slaw, potato and macaroni salad, etc. etc. In fact, since we planned to stay the course we had enough vittles to last us at least two weeks and more in the freezer at home for restocking purposes.

So stay tuned and I'll try to get the "story" up before the weekend.

Tony:

I'm a native Arizonan --- been reading your articles in various publications since my granddad introduced me to the outdoors way back when. Can't begin to have an inkling how you felt right after having pulled that trigger. Yessir --- scratch that one off the bucket list, finally! My most sincere congratulations on a job well done ..

I had to look it up as my vocabulary is lacking:

per·func·to·ry (pschwa.gifr-fubreve.gifngkprime.giftschwa.gif-remacr.gif)

adj.

1. Done routinely and with little interest or care: The operator answered the phone with a perfunctory greeting.

2. Acting with indifference; showing little interest or care.

In the state of Arizona this is truely a once in a lifetime hunt! Hopefully there aren't any perfunctory congratulations!

Cannot wait for the story. Its going to be good!

I was a bit remiss in not mentioning two other people.

Mike Daily is supposed to be the guru in the Yuma area when it comes to the Kofa refuge. His son had drawn a tag for 44BS, so Mike had put all his concentration on finding him a noteworthy ram. He did that. In the meantime, he also provided me with lots of info via email and text messages. I have no doubt that Mike would have stepped up if I had gone deeper into my hunt.

The last person is Tony Campbell from Kingman. When I posted my request to rent someone's RV both here and on Monster Mulies, Tony sent me a PM on MM. In it, he offered his 25' 2005 toyhauler for free over the duration of the hunt, but I would have had to go pick it up in Kingman, then haul it to the Kofa. With a tow limit of 8800-lb GVW, that would have been a chore behind my Durango. BUT...until TJ returned from his elk hunt and offered his 5th wheel, it was my only option. Plus, even after I told Tony we were all set, he was prepared to haul his trailer down and help on the hunt if I needed some. So although Tony was a complete stranger to me, I have to thank him for his kindness.

trophyhnter,

Didn't mean to confuse. :D But yeah, you got the definition spot on. 'Nough said.

Tony, CONGRATULATIONS!! :) It was an honor to finally meet you and also an honor to meet your son and the "Great T.J." Sorry I could not stay longer to help you but......

CONGRATULATIONS!! YOU ARE THE BEST!!

Ernesto C

He looks great Tony. That is an awesome mount and I will have to keep that in mind if I ever draw a tag. Glad I was a part of your hunt. :)

TJ

Looks nice, Tony! I know you waited a long time --- you should really enjoy looking at that on your wall ...