the_real_oneazbowhunter

road hunters

If you draw a good tag and can't your lazy #@% out of the truck and hunt, do the rest of us all a favor and find a new hobby!

I hate when bowhunters just sit in trees or on a ground blind. You shoud have to stalk your game! Better yet you should have to kill it with you bare hands.

Climb off the soap box.

+1 for road hunters

Edited by Sundevils79

What I can't stand is the people who sit around and pass judgement. Who are you to judge what type of hunting anyone is doing? As stated above, I'm sure that if you were on the road to get to your favorite glassing spot and saw a nice deer, you would just say oh well I did not walk the ethical number of miles so I won't go after him. What a joke. When I see other hunters on the road, I see them for a few seconds, and do not check up or in on them to see what they are up to. I simply wave to my fellow outdoorsman and continue on my way. Those road hunters paid for a tag just like you, they put a lot of money into the economy, and spent a lot of time away from their families/work to enjoy their time out doing what they like to do. Or, they may be disabled, or old, or sick, or anything. It's none of your ethical policeman business! Another thing I cant stand is men that act like babies. If everyone was walking through the hills, I bet your post would be aimed at those who dont glass, or those who are in "your" spot, or use salt, or sit water holes, or anyone who doesnt do things the way that you deem appropriate. Stop bashing your fellow sportsman!!!!

Wow, somebody needs a hug! Lol..

• Like 1

Not even a full moon and all sorts of people are restless! I watched the orange jeep in 36B run laps too, along with others, I hope they enjoyed their time in the field.

Just finished up with a late bull tag in 8. Tough hunt! I came home to a bowl of tag soup. We got to see a lot of people move through plans "A' through "Z", some even hung out at camp during the hunt. Hunters were desperate just to see something. It is interesting, but I don't understand when the "other guy" became one of the priorities of a hunt. It is public land, we get to share with those who hunt like us and those who don't, sorry.

Thanks,

Garron

Here's an interesting read. This is from the "where to hunt" section under mule deer for unit 10 posted on the AZGFD website.......

"Glassing, spotting-and-stalking, still hunting, and road hunting (using a vehicle to move from one spot to another and glassing along the way) are all popular and effective ways to pursue mule deer."

I thought road hunting was illegal, yet G&F is telling people to do it. Go figure.

• Like 1

The only thing illegal is shooting from the road or vehicle. As long as you leave the road and vehicle to shoot your good. How I understand it anyways.

The definition of a road hunter to me is someone who is not disabled and never leaves their truck and then shoots from it as well or the ones who ride in the bed of a truck with a weapon ready to shoot while their buddy drives them around. I normally don't like to get in to these discussions but in my opinion I don't consider someone road hunting if he gets out of his vehicle and sets up a tripod and glasses the surrounding area for game. I have even sat in the back of my truck to get the height advantage. Just saying! :)

TJ

Yet again another topic your not going to make everyone happy with. To each has their own style of hunting. Wont lie after 5 hard days of hunting getting in the truck for a night hunt to cover some ground feels good on the feet. tis the season to start and add fuel to the fire in these type of topics?

Yet again another topic your not going to make everyone happy with. To each has their own style of hunting. Wont lie after 5 hard days of hunting getting in the truck for a night hunt to cover some ground feels good on the feet. tis the season to start and add fuel to the fire in these type of topics?

+1

Not my primary method of hunting, but do put it to use now and then. To each their own. Just change your strategy to work in your favor.

The only thing that bothers me about the "orange jeep" story, is that they were "glassing" through their rifle scopes. I saw a young man "glass me up" through his rifle scope once......let's just say, he won't forget about that anytime soon. Hopefully he will pass that safety tip on to his kids.

The definition of a road hunter to me is someone who is not disabled and never leaves their truck and then shoots from it as well or the ones who ride in the bed of a truck with a weapon ready to shoot while their buddy drives them around. I normally don't like to get in to these discussions but in my opinion I don't consider someone road hunting if he gets out of his vehicle and sets up a tripod and glasses the surrounding area for game. I have even sat in the back of my truck to get the height advantage. Just saying! :)

TJ

I even know someone who eschews the tripod when possible and uses a windowpod to glass from right inside the vehicle. For shame. :rolleyes:

I did see someone road hunting the I-17 this year that was just bad.

nothing wrong with glassing from or near your vehicle... I mean come on you can spot deer from a mile away.

road hunter= someone who drives around until he sees an animal he would like to shoot. but driving your vehicle from place to place glassing at your stopping points is not road hunting. maybe the person is out of shape, disabled, old and can't get around so much.

I broke my leg twice (diff times) broke my back, shattered my left foot including all my toes, ligament replacement/repair on left knee (acl/mcl/miniscus). I still hike around as much as possible but sometimes I only have so many miles in me!

If you have a problem with that Suck it!

James

• Like 1

nothing wrong with glassing from or near your vehicle... I mean come on you can spot deer from a mile away.

road hunter= someone who drives around until he sees an animal he would like to shoot. but driving your vehicle from place to place glassing at your stopping points is not road hunting. maybe the person is out of shape, disabled, old and can't get around so much.

I broke my leg twice (diff times) broke my back, shattered my left foot including all my toes, ligament replacement/repair on left knee (acl/mcl/miniscus). I still hike around as much as possible but sometimes I only have so many miles in me!

If you have a problem with that Suck it!

James

I feel ya bud. After years of powerlifting, martial arts and other contact sports abuse on the body, sometimes moving from glassing spot to spot in a truck is necessary. I still get a ways off the road and glass from those spots and then cover ground to get the shortest shot possible, but I wouldn't say that is "road hunting". Especially since it is only when I'm plum tuckered from prior days hunting hard.

So last year during my late bull hunt my buddy and I had scouted several different bulls leading up to our hunt and felt he had a solid game plan going into opening morning. Then Thanksgiving night (the day before the hunt) we got the first major storm of the year. We woke up to 18+ inches (and still accumulating) of freshly fallen snow and some really nasty wind. The bulls we had scouted had vanished overnight. We spent a grueling first day hiking up and down the mountains and didn’t see anything.

That evening, just as got back to the truck to head back to camp we saw a small group of bulls coming out of the trees into a meadow about a mile away. Unfortunately, we were losing light fast and had nowhere near enough time to put a stock on them. So we devises a plan to get up several hours before light and make the hike around the backside of the mountain to where we felt confident the bulls would be going back into the trees at sun up. The next morning we had another brutal hike through the deep snow in the dark to get into position, but managed to get set up about an hour before sun rise. We waited, and waited, and waited, but the bulls had once again evaded us.

Going into the hunt I had a bum ankle and foot (which it turns out I now need to have operated on in a couple of months) which I severely aggravated several times that second morning by stepping onto unseen rocks hidden beneath the snow. After another brutal morning and early afternoon we decided it would be best to head back to camp to rest my ankle, get some warm food, and take a little nap to rebuild some energy before heading back out later in the afternoon.

While my buddy took one truck into the nearest town for gas, I took the other truck to a small convenience mar that had Wi-Fi to email in assignment I had due for a class. As I headed back to camp I pulled over onto a shoulder of the dirt road that lead back to camp. It was the last spot where I could still get cell phone service. As I called my wife to check in and let her know how things had gone that morning, a flicker of movement in the rear view mirror caught the corner of my eye. The bull in my profile picture was charging full speed across an open meadow about 400 – 500 yards behind me. I literally threw my phone across the cab of my truck (freaking my wife out cause she had no idea what was going on, she just heard me shout and then the phone went dead) grabbed my rifle out of the back seat and took off running. I ran across the road and into the meadow a short distance. The bull which had been running almost directly at me then saw me and started to change directions. I didn’t give him a chance to get very far before putting a round from my 300 ultra mag into him. He was slowed and limping but still moving pretty good so I put another round into him. He only made it another 30 yards or so and crashed to the ground about 6 feet from the road. It may have been the all-time easiest pack out.

Anyhow the point of this story is that I had worked hard for this bull. I don’t know if some might consider this road hunting, but I really don’t care. I didn’t do anything illegal, and while this was not the way I had planned to get my bull, I feel fantastic about it and wouldn’t hesitate to pull the trigger again. Additionally, and I recognize that this is only my opinion, I think that anyone in my situation who says they would have done otherwise is full of it! Obey the laws, respect your fellow hunters, and have a great time. Don’t let someone who chooses to LEGALLY hunt in a manner different from you diminish a lifetime of great stories and memories.

A friend of mine was in 18a driving from glassing spot to glassing spot when he was observed by the game warden in the unit. The game warden stopped him an informed him that he was road hunting and could write him a ticket. He elected not to but did tell him if he observed the behavior again he would cite him for road hunting. I personally do not believe it's road hunting but like alot of game and fish rules it's up to the wardens opionon if you are in violation.

+1 for road hunters

+1 for nonroad hunters

+1 for all those who complain about road hunters and nonroadhunters

-1 for those that complain about those that complian....

Oh wait, Im complianing about those that complian about those who complain!

I say to each his/her own as long as you do it legally and safely! Road hunters make for less people in the hills with me and who knows, they may enjoy that type hunting!