125coues

BIG BUCK Down **Story and Pictures added**

After hunting opening weekend then going back to work for the week then going back to finish out hunt my buddy put the smack down on a big buck today.Pics and better story to come. This buck is a toad!

Sorry for making everyone wait to see pics of my friend Rodney's very first Dec whitetail tag. He has been trying to get a dec tag like most of us for years. We have been scouting the unit since he found out he drew his dream tag.

We hunted the first weekend of the hunt only to see one good deer in the 80" to 85" class and one very large forked horn and that was it on that weekend due to we both had to get back home and to our jobs. Also we had yet to see any rut action only a lot of snow and rain.

Finally after a week of work both him with his family and me with my wife were back at the hunting camp and fired up to see some good rutting action going on. WRONG, we spent hours behind our binos only to find alot of small 2 points. Finally my wife radios us she sees a good buck on a hill way off from where we are. We spent the rest of the day trying to figure out how to get to a good spot so we can relocate the buck my wife had seen. The closest we were able to get was a hillside over 800 yards away, so we spent the next day on that hill side with my mini rocket launcher(a 338 edge set up for 1500 plus yards). Disapointed not to see the deer we started to move to a different location only to have my friend keep looking back at the hill side once in awhile. Then he yells at me that we need to get back to our original spot because he sees the buck coming out of the trees into the small meadow again. Well we were to far to try to make a shot from our new location and were only able to watch as he moved over the top and not be seen again.

Well Christmas day arrived at our camp and my friend and his son and I were back up on that same hill side hoping to get a gift of seeing that buck just one more time. Our wifes were back at camp putting together a great Christmas dinner for all of us. We decided to stay put this time until it was time to get back to eat. So we waited and waited and waited some more but no buck. We decided it was time to get back to camp to eat the meal the wifes and his daughter had waiting for us guys and what a meal, we had a small prayer of thanks and dove into the food. After we finished Rodney said we need to get back out and do some glassing as we still had over 3 hours of daylight left to see some deer so everone loaded up and out we went.

Rodney said to meet him and his family out on a point that we can see alot of area from. We arrived at the location only to see 1 WT doe ,3 muley does and a handfull of small bulls and cow elk. Then Rodney said lets move to another spot and end the day at that location glassing.

When we arrived at the next spot I was getting my tripod and binos, Rodneys wife and my wife were already walking out to set up and glass and Rodney was, well honestly I did not see where Rodney went. When all of a sudden Jackie, Rodneys wife was running at me waving her hands and mouthing to me GET RODNEY,GET RODNEY,WHERE IS RODNEY THERE IS A HUGE DEER JUST BELOW THE ROCKS AND IT HAS ALOT OF HORNS. I wrote this in large letters because she was whispering but I am sure inside she was yelling very loud. I told her I did not see where he went and she pointed to me the direction she saw him go. What was only seconds I see Rodney walking back asking what was going on, I said get your gun and hurry over to where his wife was. I asked her if it was a wt or a muley, she said it has a lot of horns, she slowly took me to take a peek over the ledge to see it and that when I saw yes it was a nice WT buck just bedded down only 40 yards from us .I showed it to Rodney and the rest is history .He made a great down hill shot of 40 yards to kill his trophy .

It was a great Christmas present to someone who worked his butt off going out shooting at different yardages expecting to have to make that 500 to 600 plus yard shot, spending days in the field glassing, talking to area people about deer that have been killed in the unit trying to locate that area holding a good buck. Being discouraged of the last week of not seeing that big buck of a life time to having his wife locate one without the use of expensive optics not having to make that long shot at a deer.

I hope you enjoy the story and the pics,I ruff scored the buck this morning at a whopping score of 116 gross.

post-1911-0-44420700-1356572717_thumb.jpg

post-1911-0-12555700-1356572743_thumb.jpg

post-1911-0-30869400-1356572776_thumb.jpg

post-1911-0-80655500-1356572806_thumb.jpg

post-1911-0-62250500-1356572835_thumb.jpg

Rodney and his happy family!! On Christmas day.

post-1911-0-67273100-1356579290_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Pretty cool to have the family there for a big buck hunt!

Congrats!

Jeff

Beautiful buck! What a great Christmas gift; and to have the family and good friends by his side, makes it even more special! Congratulations to all!!!

Great story Mark. Congratulations to Rodney on an awesome buck.I could feel myself sitting there glassing along side y'all. Thanks for sharing. Rodney has good taste in friends.

TJ

That's a stud buck! I love all the character it has. Congratulations, and thanks for posting the story and pictures...it almost makes up for the tease :)