Sign in to follow this  
PRDATR

9 year old accidentaly shot - hope it wasn't a CWT's family member

Just heard that a kid was accidently shot in the leg when passing a gun under a fence to his grandpa. He is in a Tucson Hospital (per the radio news) but has some serious damage. My heart goes out to the grandfather and the rest of the family and prayers for a full recovery.

Sad. Sure the gramps feels horrible. I can't imagine that happening to me. I would much rather be shot myself than have one of my kids shot because I was an idiot.

Good time for everyone to rethink how they pass a gun when crossing a fence or other obstacle. Hope the kid is ok.

Prayers for that young boy and his grandfather.

what are they doing walking around with a round in the chamber?

My heart goes out to those involved but for those of you who have children about that age please take what azslim said serious. I was tromping around the woods when I could hardly walk and got my own 410 shot gun at the age of 10. However, I wasn't allowed to carry a live round in it till I was instructed by my Granddad or Dad when it was time to shoot. When we crossed a fence I had to break open the gun and pass it over even though it was empty. It just didn't make sense to me at the time to do this with an empty gun. Safety should be taught for years before the shooting begins in my opinion. :)

TJ

• Like 2

I still do not keep a round in the chamber. I rarely have one in the mag either. It's just not worth the risk.

• Like 2

The only time I have a round in the chamber is when I am still hunting in thick cover. Even then, I have the barrel pointed forward and the safety on, as long as nonbody else is around of course

Hope the kid is o.k. It's a hard way to learn a lesson.

Had a cousin in Montana, Col in the Hiway Patrol, did 3 tours as a Green Beret in Vietnam, killed himself pulling a shotgun through a fence. One moment of inattention is all it takes.

• Like 2

I finally started rabbit hunting at age 15 by myself and put up the single shot and took out my Dad's semi auto 16ga. I jumped a rabbit and didn't get the shot off. Forgot to put the safety back on. Climbed over a log and accidently touched the trigger. BANG! Scared the shi!! right out of me. It has been etched in my mind forever since. I was one of the lucky ones. It can, but I hope it never does, happen to you. THINK SAFETY AT ALL TIMES! :)

TJ

• Like 1

Sad deal for sure. The news this mornin said the boy will be ok but has a messed up legg now.

I never have one in the chamber unless I am ready to shoot. Don't forget the safety on the gun can fail....I had an experience with that during my deer season. I had borrowed a rifle and when I shot my coues this fall, I put another round in the chamber to ready for a 2nd shot if needed. It wasn't needed and so I stood up and was going to remove the round that was in the chamber. All I did was move the safety and the gun went off totally unexpected. SCARED ME TO DEATH! Luckily for me and my hunting buddies, I had the barrel pointed in a safe direction. I have never had that happen before but it was a good reminder why I don't hunt with one in the chamber. I always ask those that I am hunting with to do the same.

I never have one in the chamber unless I am ready to shoot. Don't forget the safety on the gun can fail....I had an experience with that during my deer season. I had borrowed a rifle and when I shot my coues this fall, I put another round in the chamber to ready for a 2nd shot if needed. It wasn't needed and so I stood up and was going to remove the round that was in the chamber. All I did was move the safety and the gun went off totally unexpected. SCARED ME TO DEATH! Luckily for me and my hunting buddies, I had the barrel pointed in a safe direction. I have never had that happen before but it was a good reminder why I don't hunt with one in the chamber. I always ask those that I am hunting with to do the same.

I've been with 2 different people that had this happen... 1 was a new savage ( I mean brand new ) and the other was an old remington.. the guy with the savage had heard my story about the other guys mishap and had it in his head to always be conscience about the barrel and where it is pointed. ( which should always be the case!) the guy with the remington had it pointed in the back of my Expedition while I was on the passenger rear door putting mine in the case unloaded.... click of the safety and BOOM! I was like WTH! he was white as a ghost!!! my ears almost exploded, it was loud! shot a hole in the back of my suv.. bullet went through the driver side rear near the gas tank neck and through the rear door and stopped just before coming out of the b post.

I pray this kid is ok! Hard lesson for sure..

James