Sign in to follow this  
idgaf

Reality Break

I remembered at the last moment that I had a javelina rifle tag for my stomping ground in 36c. My intent was to go traditional and hunt with my dad's 1975 Shakespere Super Necadah that I found in his backyard recurve. My second option was to take my cabinet queen out for a dance. I have a 1945 model 70 30-06 with a lyman alaska factory mounted scoop with a weaver quick detach mount. Best laid plans usually go out the window and this was no exception. I intended to load some ammo for it considering you can not by a cap for a cap gun at walmart right now. I ran out of time and grabbed my dad's recurve, my bow, my daughters 243 and my 357. I was going to hunt with something.

Opening morning I left my house in Show low at about 4:30 am headed for the area where I spent 9 days chasing rumors and myths about double drop tine bucks and 190" class typical bucks that once roam the desert flats and I did not see in all that time archery hunting the rut. I sign into the ranch and head straight for my camping spot with my weapons secured on my trucks back seat. I get nearly to my spot when a thick horned muley crosses in front of me and stops at fifty yards to taunt. As I am reaching for my camera and then the batteries it bounces out of my view and spooks a herd of Javelina. With the herd running down the arroyo I am trying to find an accessible weapon to no avail. I sheepishly laugh tell myself "typical" and head to my parking spot.

I get out grab my dad's Super Necadah ultra modern (in 1975) recurve and through my 357 in my pack and go. I spend the day shooting cactus patties and putting stalks on quail breaking three of the four ultra modern (in 1981) fiberglass arrows that were in my quiver. I get to an arroyo that is absolutely loaded with tracks which I follow to my goal getting within range at about twenty yards. I nervously release my last non broken arrow and wiffed by about three feet. Javelina are running everywhere when I remember I have my pistol in my pack and I miss three more times at well under 30 yards. Good shooting day on my part.

Day 2 I decide that Javelina are not the reason to have a Javelina tag and use this time for a conditioning regime for when G&F awards me my Sheep permit and climb the rockiest steepest area I can find.

post-4480-0-60301500-1362023175_thumb.jpg

post-4480-0-59107500-1362023456_thumb.jpg

After seeing a half a dozen deer and a giant squirrel I get off my rocky perch have a sandwich and a negro modelo and decide to get back to the flats. I forgot my camera at the truck deciding that I would not need it I walked a little further and then see a couple of does. I watch them as they bounced about twenty yards farther and see a couple more does and a 170 class buck. Thinking well that is about the biggest buck for the area another buck comes out making the first buck look small and my camera is 2 or 300 hundred yards away in my truck. I could kick myself for that. I guess I needed a reminder that I should always be prepared.

I walk the washes again and stalked quail to 10 feet, examined old pottery and looked at some black flint substance that I believe my predecessors made their broadheads from. I get to a spot that looks just to good with tracks and rootings. I reach into my pocket and grab a bear call I have had for years and called for a few moments when a big gnarly boar comes out of his napping place and sees what the noise is all about. This time I grabbed my daughters 243 making the 70 yard off hand shot an afterthought and taking an animal with ammo I reloaded for the first time. I was in my bed at home by 10. Nice break from reality.

post-4480-0-30534700-1362026308_thumb.jpg

post-4480-0-14797000-1362025594_thumb.jpg

post-4480-0-14841400-1362026554_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I agree on a very well written write-up along with pics. Sounds like getting away and enjoying your hunt area was what you really needed and killing a pig was the icing on the cake. Thanks for taking me along in your story. :)

TJ

AZslim thats my goto call. I have called in nearly everything with it, even a bear. TJ, you got that right. My new overlords, um i mean bosses, are being very thorough on their potential investment with me, keeping me on my toes and in business mode constantly.

Great write up & congrats!