bigfatbeginner

Coues Hunting in Arizona. . . questions from a beginner

I admit I am a beginner hunter in the state of Arizona. I shot many deer growing up, but it was in Mississippi. Hunting in Arizona is way different. If you're drawn, you only get a small window of time to shoot one deer. Plus, we rarely had to go more than a few miles from home to hunt, so we didn't have to pack in or out. So, I have several questions. I'm not asking for you to give me all the answers but I will be most appreciative if you could point me to some reliable resources. My wife and I want to get a coues deer in Arizona this year.

1. If I am going to apply for a December hunt, when should I do my scouting?

2. What signs should I look for while doing my scouting?

3. Why is field dressing necessary? (we never did this because we took the entire deer back home and dressed, processed it.)

4. What calls work best on Coues deer in Arizona?

5. What resource can I get to learn how and when to call Coues deer?

6. If hunting with a .270 caliber rifle, which ammo should I buy? brand? other specs?

7. Is it okay to quarter the deer in the field to make it easier to pack out?

8. How long after shooting the deer do I have to get the meat on ice?

Welcome to the site and hold on tight to your saddle because this is going to be your best ride ever. These are great questions and you certainly came to the right place. Unfortunately I'm not in a situation where I can answer any of your questions. I better get back to work. :)

TJ

Welcome. Hunting these coues deer is nothing like eastern whitetails...so you're starting out right by asking all these questions. It will take a short paragraph to answer each question, so I don't have that time right now either. I am sure you will get a lot of input in the next couple days.

In short, get the best binos you can afford...at least 10x...12x or 15x is better. Also a good tripod. Be prepaired to sit and glass for many hours.

You have a few questions on field care of the meat. Be prepared to skin and quarter in the field, and pack out. Typically, we have mild temperatures during deer season, so usually it is critical to get the hide off ASAP so the meat can start to cool. The flavor of the meat will be affected.

The quickest way to "get in the game" is to hook up with someone experienced in hunting coues.

As TJ stated, hang on 'cause the ride is a blast.

I admit I am a beginner hunter in the state of Arizona. I shot many deer growing up, but it was in Mississippi. Hunting in Arizona is way different. If you're drawn, you only get a small window of time to shoot one deer. Plus, we rarely had to go more than a few miles from home to hunt, so we didn't have to pack in or out. So, I have several questions. I'm not asking for you to give me all the answers but I will be most appreciative if you could point me to some reliable resources. My wife and I want to get a coues deer in Arizona this year.

1. If I am going to apply for a December hunt, when should I do my scouting?

2. What signs should I look for while doing my scouting?

3. Why is field dressing necessary? (we never did this because we took the entire deer back home and dressed, processed it.)

4. What calls work best on Coues deer in Arizona?

5. What resource can I get to learn how and when to call Coues deer?

6. If hunting with a .270 caliber rifle, which ammo should I buy? brand? other specs?

7. Is it okay to quarter the deer in the field to make it easier to pack out?

8. How long after shooting the deer do I have to get the meat on ice?

1-well if you really want a Dec, tag or (to get drawn) your chances of getting drawn are not that great! becuse most people (hunters) want that rut hunt! unless you go after the second to last hunt that ends around Dec. 5th!

2-out here in the desert we really dont look for sign like people back east do!...we sit behind a pair of Bino's with 10x power or better and glass!..glass!!! and more glassing!!...just when you feel like you got blood running out of your bloodshot eye's you glass some more! :D really!

oh yeah a tri-pod is a must to mount your bino's on!..thats how you find those little bugers!!

3-even in winter you have to get them dressed out ASAP! becuse they will spoil quick and get the hide off not to long after feild dressing them as well they are a small deer but the heat will go bad an you dont want that!!! they are good eating!

4-i have not had any luck at callin deer in but some people have!!........GLASSING! GLASSING! GLASSING! :D

5-i guess there are books out there that can help you on your deer hunt! i dont remember the name of the book! i think Dawyne Adems put one out!!...in the book he will tell you "GLASSING is where its at"!

6-a 270. is fine cal, just learn to shoot it out to 300 yards you'll do fine!!

7-yes cutting up the deer is ok to get it out !! just get it cool ASAP!

Enjoy Arizona!

Viper hit the nail on the head there. Most successful coues hunters rely on optics. Glassing is the game when it comes to coues. The bigger the binos the better. Pick vantage points that give you good visibility and glass glass glass and then glass some more.

As far as when to start scouting there is no time that is too soon. I scout year round an try to keep tabs on bucks so that when I am fortunate to draw a tag I know where I will be opening morning.

My 2 cents while I had a moment.

• Like 1

some info from the non-forum part of this site should help you out.

http://www.coueswhitetail.com/2012/05/hunting-strategies/

http://www.coueswhitetail.com/2012/05/coues-deer-habitat/

http://www.coueswhitetail.com/2012/05/coues-life-stages/

http://www.coueswhitetail.com/2012/05/coues-deer-sign/

Also, you would probably really enjoy and benefit from The How to Hunt Coues Deer book available in the CW store:

http://store.coueswhitetail.com/hunting-books/

I have read that book cover to cover at least three times.......great read with valuable information and informative pictures. Duwane Adams also teaches glassing techniques!

Glass glass and glass some more...also helps to be in good shape to hike the hills and get to glassing locations.

My best piece of advice would be to see if anyone will let you tag along on their hunt or help you out on your hunt. You will learn a lot more from people who already know how to hunt coues. I know that I have helped out on a lot of hunts and will continue to do so as it allows me to get out on more tags during the year than my single deer tag.

Good luck and listen to the people on this site, there are some real experts lurking around here.

One thing to remember is that our deer population is significantly lower than Mississippi's. In the beginning, don't get discouraged if you can't find a deer -- even a doe -- every day you go out.

Also, while glassing definitely is the No. 1 way to hunt our deer, there are a great many good places where it does not work. In such places the techniques you learned "back home" could prove useful.

There also are days when deer simply do not move out of cover so they can be seen by someone sitting on high point a half mile or more away. Windy days come to mind.

When I was younger and fitter, I would slowly and quietly move upwind just below the highest main ridge of a mountain on such days and toss little rocks into brushy areas at the heads of little canyons that might hide a buck, always trying to stay in position and ready to shoot whenever one jumped up below or across from me.

I smile when I see posts by forum members saying disparaging things about those who hunt this way because I know it works when spending the day behind binoculars might not.

Bill Quimby

• Like 2

Bigfat- welcome. get out and see some coues way ( right now) before the season. get the book from amanda. start running 5 miles a day uphill. if you put in for a late dec tag be prepared to wait 5-10 years or more depending. your post doesn't say where you are. there are tags you can get each year in unint with a lot of deer.

When I was younger and fitter, I would slowly and quietly move upwind just below the highest main ridge of a mountain on such days and toss little rocks into brushy areas at the heads of little canyons that might hide a buck, always trying to stay in position and ready to shoot whenever one jumped up below or across from me

Bill, my dad taught me this same technique for both deer and javelina and yes it does work.

• Like 1

You asked about a load for a .270.....I use 130 grain Hornady bullets with 55.5 grains of 4350 powder. I used to use regular spire point bullets, but for the last few years have been using the SST bullets. The SST are very impressive and deadly, but a little less accurate out of my gun than the original spire points I used to use.

get some binos and a tripod and hit the hills right now. depending on what part of the state you are in bucks won't loose their antlers until the end of april/beginning of may. still a couple of months to get out and see some bone. get a lion tag and take your gun cause you never know when you might come across one.

my personal favorite time of the year to scout is in aug/sept. the grass is green, the deer are brown and the bigger bucks are not in the thick stuff because of their sensitive, velvet antlers. the heat and bugs are tough but take a bunch of water, some sunscreen and a thermacell.

good luck!