Sign in to follow this  
Non-Typical Solutions

Nerf Gun Suspension

A 6-year-old boy was suspended from the James McGee Elementary School in Pasco, Wash. for talking about his toy Nerf guns with classmates. The Pasco School District decided to overturn the suspension on Thursday after speaking with the child's parents.

On Feb. 28, Noah, a first-grader, was sent home after another student said she thought he had a gun with him when he talked about his toy Nerf guns that his family had recently bought him during a vacation.

The young girl who had overheard Noah reportedly stated that she felt her "health and safety were threatened." Noah was immediately suspended despite not actually having any toy gun, let alone a real gun, with him. Noah's father, Mike Aguirre, says he still punished his son for talking about the Nerf guns with classmates at school.

School officials said the issue is covered in the district's discipline handbook which Aguirre disputes, saying that there is no provision prohibiting students from talking about guns, toys or not.

The parents met Monday with district officials which resulted in Noah's suspension being downgraded to a "disruption," instead of a threat, despite no evidence of a threat ever being established. The parents also felt their son was singled out, pointing out that other students involved in the conversation received no punishment.

"After a review it was determined that no disciplinary action is warranted and all record of the incident will be expunged from the student's record," a school district statement sent to the Tri-City Herald said.

Just last January, children talking about a toy Nerf gun in the Bronx caused a lockdown at two elementary schools and a large police response.

The same month at a Long Island high school, a 6-hour lockdown was triggered due to a student's toy Nerf gun on campus.

In two separate incidents, two 6-year-old students in Maryland were suspended for simply making gun gestures with their hands. One said "pow" and the other simply made the gesture while playing "cops and robbers."

The liberal infestation in our school system.

When I was in elementary shool back in the early to mid 1970's, we had a hardnosed school principal. If we got caught fighting on the playground, he would threaten making us offenders put on boxing gloves and having it out. Not a bad thing really. Can you imagine the liberal outrage if that happened in todays wimpy world. I was a bit of a rebel in my day(Still am ;) ), I got suspended twice in my senior year because the school monitor and I, did not like each other. I wouldn't take any crap from him. One weekend a bunch of us went up to Sabino canyon for the day, and I happened to run into this school monitor. He was smoking dope out of a bong with his friends. Never in my life have I wished more for a camera, then at that time. When he saw me, looking at him, a picture would have been worth a million words. I certainly would give a picture of that moment to the Sabino high school principal. The school monitor never said a word to me again during the remainder of the school year.Imagine that!

Our current school systems are going to heck in a basket.

I have a feeling both my son and my daughter are headed for this kind of trouble in school. He's 4 and already a crack shot with a nerf handgun, and my daughter is always fighting him for it, lol.

Oh no! I may be in trouble with my school. Our drama program uses glue guns when they are building sets, we have calking guns in our shop class, our PE program teaches archery, and we have a bunch of old Springfield rifles in our JROTC classroom. Heck, we even have our own competition Rifle team! Better send the PC police after me. They will find everyday at our school starts with the Pledge of Allegence, and our teams pray before games.

• Like 5

In my classroom shop I have on display two gun stocks that my son made while attending gunsmithing school, a sketch of the gun he made for me, elk antlers and deer antlers hanging on the walls, a dead cow skull, a fishing pole, and we say the pledge and our wrestling team has a word of prayer before competition...........and I have some of the best kids in the world come and go through my classroom every year and they do just fine.......

• Like 1

In my classroom shop I have on display two gun stocks that my son made while attending gunsmithing school, a sketch of the gun he made for me, elk antlers and deer antlers hanging on the walls, a dead cow skull, a fishing pole, and we say the pledge and our wrestling team has a word of prayer before competition...........and I have some of the best kids in the world come and go through my classroom every year and they do just fine.......

That's my kind of classroom. Those who look at education from the outside often only hear the rarer stories like the nerd gun. They don't get to see all the wonderful kids that we get to work with every day. Spend o couple days in most of our rural schools and it will rejuvenate your faith in our youth.

Oh no! I may be in trouble with my school. Our drama program uses glue guns when they are building sets, we have calking guns in our shop class, our PE program teaches archery, and we have a bunch of old Springfield rifles in our JROTC classroom. Heck, we even have our own competition Rifle team! Better send the PC police after me. They will find everyday at our school starts with the Pledge of Allegence, and our teams pray before games.

I know that Wyatt Earp is smileing right now. :D

and now you have a drone circling your school.

It could have been worse, he could have had a big sugary drink or got a note from the school telling his parents he was fat. cause you know its the school districts job to raise our kids, not educate them.

We can all order the latest fashion in "Drone wear"

http://www.guns.com/2013/03/11/stealth-wear-new-fashion-designs-for-counter-urveillance/

I was worried about that ...................

Wow, wonder what would have happened to my daughters, maybe have to move to a new school district. My girls were in 2nd & 4th grade, came back to school after Christmas break, all students got to stand and tell about what their best present was, my girls really liked the Ruger 10/22's Dad got them.

Wow, wonder what would have happened to my daughters, maybe have to move to a new school district. My girls were in 2nd & 4th grade, came back to school after Christmas break, all students got to stand and tell about what their best present was, my girls really liked the Ruger 10/22's Dad got them.

It is amazing the things that want us to talk about and the things they don't want us to talk about......