Sign in to follow this  
coueser4

Want to get into reloading

I have really been wanting to get into reloading for a long time now. I don't know too many people that do it themselves so I can't get many tips there so I thought I'd ask you guys.

I am hesitant on the startup costs of it first of all. I see the prices at bass pro and other places and that's a little discouraging.

Is there any types or brands that are better than the others? Does it even matter? I'd be happy with something simple if it does the job?

So what all is needed really? Where can I go to get the best how to tips? I know there is videos on YouTube that I have seen and I'm a quick leaner and I know I would love the hobby.

Any one on here have any extra equipment they would sell me?

I will be reloading for a .270, .223 and 7mm/08 right now. Hopefully will get into something in the 6.5 caliber with more experience.

Thanks in advance for any help!

It's not as hard as it might seem. Get a reloading manual and read it a couple of times before you buy anything. There are some good videos on youtube also.

i have an rcbs rockchucker i have had since 1970. there is a free phamplet from rcbs on reloading basics. also the front part of the hornady reloading manual.

Where are you located at? My phone does not show your location if there's one posted

post-5908-0-10977300-1364481857_thumb.jpgpost-5908-0-71294100-1364481879_thumb.jpgpost-5908-0-77181800-1364481902_thumb.jpgI have a RCBS Reloader Special press that I will sell for $60.00 cash or trade You pay shipping

i started handloading in 1994 with a pound of imr 3031, a set of used .257 Roberts dies and the Lee 50th Anniversary Reloading kit i bought for 75.00.

i always thought i would upgrade the various items but never did. i have sent custom hunting ammunition all over the world with friends that i loaded off that little lee press. you can still buy a 50th anniversary kit for around a hundred bucks.

there is always a better press, a better scale, a better trimmer, a better priming tool but i have reloaded over 10,000 wildcat, rifle and handgun rounds on this set up over 20 years. its all about an accurate powder measure and patience.

the .270 is an easy round to load for-a pound of h4831 will load up over 100 .270 rounds. .

good luck and be safe,

lee

You can find reloading data online very easily. Most of the powder manufacturers offer it for free online. If you're going to shoot one brand of bullet then buy a reloading manual. I have a few but I use the data on these sites much more often. The manuals aren't worth it IMHO.The ABC's of Reloading is a good book to read. Here are some good links: http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

http://www.nosler.com/Reloading-Data.aspx

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/default.aspx

http://www.ramshot.com/load-data/

Thank you for the responses so far guys! I am located in Mesa. I'm excited to get into it like I said. Just not sure what I need to get but this info is helping.

Desert Muley thanks for posting your press. I don't know much about them so I will pm you.

If any one else wants to jump in and suggest anything on equipment that would be great.

Like some others here have suggested, I recommend getting started with the RCBS rockchucker start up kit. Around the holidays I usually see it on sell for about $250. This is what I started up with and then added on from there. I once priced out all the components in the kit separately and it was about double the price. I am actually going to be loading up some 223 rounds this evening or tomorrow evening so I can go shoot my new AR on Saturday. I live in Queen Creek and would be happy to show you how to get started if you are interested sometime.

Same here if you need help, I also live in QC.

Thanks for the offers and info everyone. I have been looking into reloading and what I need to start. I see several kits out there. And I see some have suggested to get additional items beyond that.

I would really like to take advantage of items that save time and also increase accuracy and precision in reloading. I really didn't know exactly how extensive the process was or could be until I started looking into it. Then you add different brands and variations of the tools it's even more broad and difficult to narrow down what would be best to get.

So a couple questions that I'd like to hear what your responses would be.

1. What would be the bare necessities to be a successful reloader? Also any specific types of tools or brands? Also best value for that matter if you wanted to add.

2. What would be the extra goodies to get to help save time and increase precision and increase accuracy from load to load? Types of tools and brands if you want to add

I appreciate any and all input.

You will need calipers and a way to measure head space and COAL. Either the hornady LnL or the RCBS precision mic. A good, solid bench in a location that does not have a lot of drafts.

I think everyone on here might agree but if you have extra time that's helpful. Cause for me I seem to go through a lot of it when I'm reloading.....

• Like 1

If you are going to do bottle neck cases you will also need a trimmer to cut back the cases after a few reloads. I also suggest a primer pocket uniform tool and a flash hole tool too.

You will also need a case mouth reamer after trimming the case. Case lube is a personal preference but Imperial Sizing Wax and one of the spray lubes are what I use. You will also need a tumbler.