StanB

Arizona Unit 27 Archery Elk

My dad and Brother drew Archery bull tags in 27 this year. Thats his 2 archery bull tag in 3 years in 27. Him and i kinda got into it when we were putting in so i jumped on my own app and didnt draw and now i feel like an idiot :/. Oh well can wait to get out and help him and my bro tag out! IM PUMPED

• Like 1

I too have a 27 tag this year i will be doing a ton of scouting in hope of a 350 class bull.I hope it will rain this spring so they will grow big.will any of the wheat the game and fish come back up this year?The cow my son shot last year was snow white she was so fat.

The aerial seeding started to come back in about a week ago. Not supposed to be as much grow back in this year but will be interesting to see.

I have a good buddy that I'll be helping that drew the 27 archery bull tag with only 3 bonus points. The rest of the family struck out with many more points. Go figure!

Draw reports from this year are not out yet but in 2012 it took 10 pts to make the bonus pass for 27 Early Archery Bull.

Crazy that so many people drew with so little points. I talked a friend into putting in for archery elk and told him that it would take him 10 years to draw. He had zero points whatsoever and surprisingly drew this same tag. Not sure what choice it was on his app.

Sounds like from all the responses (thanks) that the hunter safety point has not had the same impact with other applicants as it seems to have logistically with my family members.......maybe just an anomaly for us.

The first round of the draw is for the bonus points. 20% of the tags goes to the highest bonus point holders. 10% to out of state. After that the bonus points go out the window and it's strait up luck of the draw for the remaining 70% of the tags. So it's better to be lucky than good. As far as 27 goes if that winter wheat comes back in the burn area it will be a great hunt. I hunted unit one last year and it was the best time I've ever had.

10% percent does not automatically go to out of staters. They can draw up to 10% of the tags they are not assured the tags. So if there are 100 tags only 10 tags can go to out of staters but it does not hit the 10 all the time. With the amount of high point holders the bonus points round of out of staters can sometimes pull the out of state allotment before the regular draw. Especially on the units most sought after like 9,10,1 and 27.

The last time I drew a 27 late rifle tag, I was in the 20% pass. That was 2005. I hope I get another one before I go to the happy hunting grounds.

1, 3a, 8, 9, 10, 27 early archery haven't had a NR tag drop out of the bonus round the last 4 years, including this year (2013) and both unit 7 hunts had all their NR tags pulled in the bonus round this year also. Only 8 early archery hunts were available to NR in the 1-2 pass for 2013.

Unit 27 early archery had an increase of almost 500 resident apps this year; roughly 130 additional NR apps.