Seldom Drawn

Why do people want to hunt Goulds so bad?

original population in Az was wiped out by early settlers, the ones here now were planted by AZGFD, NWTF, believe Quail Unlimited and a couple other Orgs in addition to F&G in Mexico where the birds were trapped. They have beautiful irridescent feathers and are a little bigger than the Merriam's that are here also.

Must be the 40mph winds at 6AM here in Flagstaff :rolleyes:

Winds have been pretty brisk down here in Tucson lately but I can remember the majority of my turkey hunts around Flagstaff involving way too much wind as I was trying to listen for a gobble. Only good new is that when you do hear them you know they are within a 100 yards of you... :ph34r:

The question should be why wouldn't you want to hunt Goulds! Lol

the ability to hunt completely unpressured birds. With so few tags you dont get the circus that goes with all of the people. When you have completely unpressured birds, they really respond well to calls. Nothing like it.

If you could go elk hunting to a destination that had not been hunted or hunted extremely lightly, and you knew that you would not run into any other hunters, I'd bet you'd have the time of your life. You would probably be ran over as soon as you hit a cow chirp. Same thing

• Like 1

For me it's because goulds tags just are not that difficult to draw :) :) :) lol. I agree with everyone else here. They are unique and not that many people ever get to hunt them especially here in the US. Plus you have to have one if you want the royal slam of turkeys.

Here is the story of my second AZ goulds.

http://www.coueswhitetail.com/forums/topic/24892-my-second-az-goulds-turkey/?fromsearch=1

Brian