Sign in to follow this  
brian390

Any luck on first season turkey?

I have seen a couple stories about how the first season turkey hunts went. Anyone else get into some, or have any luck? There has been some great weather this year, so I hope to hear more stories.

Not for me. I got into them friday morning and this morning but they flew out of the roost in a direction I wasn't expecting and were almost silent when they hit the ground. Never had a bird respond or show any interest in calls either.

On way home to gilbert now. We were on turkeys every day. Buddy finally got the shot this morning. Medium sized tom with 9" beard and 3/4" spurs. I'll post pic later wont let me now.

Here is the picture. They would gobble good till around 8 in the mornings.post-8184-0-27020700-1367180032_thumb.jpg

Couldn't even hear a gobble in 3C. Not much sign of turkeys. Saw a few hens while driving but other than that nothing. Turkey numbers are extremely low in the unit. Time to start backing off on the tags before they are extinct.

I live in 3c and I think the over the counter tags realy hurt the turkeys here.Just my opinion

I hope my memory isn't starting to fade a little. I've been waiting for the second hunt to start this friday and got a call yesterday from my Dad that our hunt actually started last friday on the 26th. :o Holy crap, and I'm working. Cutting the work day short today and running up after work and hopefully get to hunt before dark and tomorrow before it ends. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come. :lol:

TJ

I hope my memory isn't starting to fade a little. I've been waiting for the second hunt to start this friday and got a call yesterday from my Dad that our hunt actually started last friday on the 26th. :o Holy crap, and I'm working. Cutting the work day short today and running up after work and hopefully get to hunt before dark and tomorrow before it ends. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come. :lol:

TJ

Oh my!! TJ get out there!

TJ

Just dont forget your anniversary this yr. :)

TJ

Whoops! Good luck to ya TJ! Oh... And +1 on the anniversary!!! LOL

First thing to go

I think I am way ahead of you

Hurry ,run Forest run!!!!!

Just got back Sunday. My daughter took her tom opening morning of the junior hunt. No talk but we found a tom with five hens and slipped in on them. Hen seen us and started to leave but the tom stood there in full strut until my daughter got close enough to shoot him. My son got his big tom saturday late in the day. Not much talking in the mornings or in the evenings. Were able to call my sons bird in but he didn't gobble at all until he was right ontop of us. Will post pictures later. I think they have not started breeding yet due to the cold spring. Lots of hens still grouped up........

TJ

Wow, thats all I can say!!! I hunted 6 day's in a row, I finally took one this morning. The last 4 day's have been pretty tough, I only heard this bird gobble 2 times. He gobbled once about 5:30 so I made my way to where I thought he might be about 600 yards away across a canyon and waited. At about 6:30 I heard one gobble way back by where my quad was parked :( and then about 5 seconds later this sucker gobbled about 100 yards away from me. I gave him about 5 minutes and then did some soft cuts and purrs. To make a long story short about 30 minutes later the whole flock shows up about 75 yards away just kinda milling around looking for me. I got caught facing the wrong way as the showed up about 120 degrees from where I thought they would. Finally this guy decides to come have a look and when I thought he was 30 to 40 yards I rolled over with my gun and had to pick him out amoungst several hens. Sunday and Monday mornings were the slowest day's for me, I only heard about 3 gobbles each day.

post-3437-0-61069800-1367455224_thumb.jpg