Sign in to follow this  
MULEPACKHUNTER

kiabab antlerless

Thinking I am going to put my daughter in for doe hunt way north but with the hwy being shut down how do you get up there now? Planning on hauling the mules up and heard there was a long dirt bypass through the res? Will most likely end up in the saddle mtn wilderness but not for sure yet. Need to look over the unit map

I agree! Highway 89A will get you right-up on the Kiabab with no problem!

BTW, that is an AWESOME hunt for the kids! ;) Have fun and good luck!

S.

:)

• Like 1

Agreed. Unless you are planning to go to Page for some reason your route won't be affected. Good luck. IMO one of the best Jr. hunts

With the deer draws coming, I couldn't resist posting these links. My kids are all a bit older now and I don't think we'll be back up there again (at least not for a Youth hunt). We've had some amazing great memories there over the years!

Have fun up there!!!

S.

:)

http://www.coueswhitetail.com/forums/topic/21483-junior-kiabab-hunt/

http://www.coueswhitetail.com/forums/topic/35932-2012-junior-deer-hunt/

i was up there this weekend hiking rim to rim, driving in saw about 150 deer and this buffaloes, first time i see this guys in the wild roaming freely, they had a good winter, good calf production.

post-3041-0-24198200-1369892588_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

That photo of the bison (buffalo) was taken in the big meadows just north of Demotte Park if I am not mistaken. I have seen the bison up there a few times.

As for the Jr. hunt in 12A, my oldest daughter took her first mulie up there when she was 11. That was over 10 years ago, and I still remember it well. Great times, and a blast for the kids since you see so many deer.

I put my younger daughter in for a deer hunt up there this year too, she will be 11 by the time the hunt starts if she gets drawn.

Thinking I am going to put my daughter in for doe hunt way north but with the hwy being shut down how do you get up there now? Planning on hauling the mules up and heard there was a long dirt bypass through the res? Will most likely end up in the saddle mtn wilderness but not for sure yet. Need to look over the unit map

MULE- saddle mtn wilderness is in 12e. this is a great hunt for youth. you should not need horses . 23 per cent chance; if you get drawn you will see plenty of deer. ron

MULE- saddle mtn wilderness is in 12e. this is a great hunt for youth. you should not need horses . 23 per cent chance; if you get drawn you will see plenty of deer. ron

Ya I saw that right after I started researching the unit, bummer that area looks good. One thing I have noticed so far is the road situation is bad up there. The one thing I really think in my opinion that really needs to change in AZ is there are way way way too many roads and too much access. I look at the maps and it looks like the human vascular system!!! Nothing worse than riding along or hiking along and you are thinking how beautiful the area is and how quiet and serene and then bam there's a road. Oh and then guess what another road 200 yards up. I know as I get older and cant run around in the hills I will be happy to have access with roads but even then our wild areas usually have a truck driving around in them and able body or not that is depressing. App has been sent in so I will be so stoked if my daughter gets a tag and we will spur on the AZ economy and head up for some family time on or off the road.

I can tell you I was very thankful for the numerous roads last year in 12AE. I shot my deer 1.5 miles and 5 canyons over from my truck, and what I thought was the closest road. After dressing it and starting to pack it out, I spotted a truck on the ridge above my deer. Made getting it out the next day MUCH easier!

But, there are still plenty of secluded areas that are far away from roads up there, just need to hike into them.....like I thought I was doing.....