Sign in to follow this  
apache12

lower quality 6x20x40 or higher quality 4x14x40?

this isn't really a Long Rang question but I thought the people involved in long range shooting might have good opinions.

If I was shooting no farther than 500 yards does it make more sense to spend the same dollars on a lower glass quality higher power scope or a higher quality lower power?

I'd really like to get a Zeiss Conquest HD5 in 3x15x42 but I think I'd have to settle for the Zeiss Conquest 4x14x40. Or would it be better to get a lesser quality longer range like a Weaver Grand Slam 6x20x40?

I guess is 6x20 overkill for only shooting to 500?

I'd go with image clarity over magnification. A coues in the shadows is dang near invisible sometimes and higher magnification doesn't always mean a sharper image.

+1

I find myself enjoying a fixed 16x over my variable 22x much more. With the clarity and brightness, I don't notice the images being much smaller and it's easier on my eyes.

M

Make sure you check out cameralandny.com, they have some pretty good deals on optics.

The better glass... Although the weaver scops are surprisingly good so look at them both. The one thing you did t mention was weight and Zeiss are some of the lightest available.

The better glass... Although the weaver scops are surprisingly good so look at them both. The one thing you did t mention was weight and Zeiss are some of the lightest available.

The new HD series are surprisingly heavy, at least compared to similar scopes.

I would go with reliability and clarity of the Zeiss HD, plus you get more elevation adjustment than the old conquests.

I have the Zeiss 4.5-14x40 Awsome scope plenty of power for whitails past 500 yards.

Go for the zeiss you cant go wrong.

Always better quality glass vs higher magnification.

I would suggest going with the Zeiss 4.5-14x40, send it into zeiess and have them put a target turret on it and you are good to go.