Sign in to follow this  
gotcoues

E-Scouting

When I go to Heaven, my kids will still be hunting all our spots and hopefully their kids too!

I do like the different responses, again to each his own.

I definitely agree with the statement that when you tell someone to go some where, the multiplier effect can be endless.

I wise,salty dog on this site told me "loose lips, sink ships" when we both knew we had a good thing going at that particular time.

Hi,

I am one of your new e-scouters. Trust me when I say I completely get everything said from sharing some info to not a word will ever leave my mouth. I am an offroader as my other hobby. Most are very protective including myself in that hobby as the greenies and govt is always trying to stop access to the trails. I am also willing to help out the new guys though if they seem like good people, but I won't do it on open forum. If nobody had ever helped me out when I started hunting and offroading I would have had a lot of years longer to find new trails and hunting spots.

I would never ask for help though if I wasn't willing to help others. I don't live close to this years hunting area and have not hunted there in years so I am ok with soliciting a little help, but I fully plan to get at least one good scouting trip in to help actually narrow down my planned hunting area. I have had tons of experience in my normal hunt area but got skunked on the draw there this year.

Harley

I can honestly say that I have never once asked a man to show me his honey hole.

• Like 1

i think its funny when people get butt hurt when asked for help. some act like you just asked them where they hide the naked pictures of their wife haha.

i wont ask because of this. ive seen too many guys just get plain weird about it. personally i will help anyone out there. its all part of the game for me i guess. then if i see them later with something hanging in their camp im happy for them.

no one out there has a spot or honey hole or family spot if someone beats them to it haha.

• Like 1

I've found some really great folks online that gave me some good tips, so I don't mind passing along what I know, omitting anything I want to keep for myself, of course.

• Like 1

I agree with both sides of the argument to a point. Some people just get too worked up over it. No one is forcing anyone to give up info. If you're that worried about "you're secret spot" being discovered then don't hunt public land.

I am willing to bet that most individuals who are "just getting into hunting" really wouldn't expect that asking for info/help would be rude. If you don't want to share then don't, if you can- then welcome to the club. You're the only one who loses if your blood pressure goes up. (I mean that generally- not at anyone in particular)

Having said that, READ AZG&F FIRST it's step up to help first time hunters. A big shout out to all of you who have helped me!

It's not so much the fact, that us older hunters don't want to give up too much info on an area....cuz we don't ;)

Back in the day we didn't have computers, google earth, hunting websites, to make things easy. We invested sweat equity, and boot leather. Got rained on, froze our butts off, and all the other hard knocks of hunting, and learning an area.

The simple fact is .......we earned what we learned. Nobody handed it to us on a digital platter.

Nothing wrong with helping someone out, or pointing them in the right direction, if they are good folks willing to put in the effort.

Helping people that are lazy, uncommitted, and looking for the easy way out ,is another matter......

• Like 6

Helping people that are lazy, uncommitted, and looking for the easy way out ,is another matter......

+1

I motion that from now on a newbie with less than 5 posts must submit their current fat to muscle ratio, workout regiment, diet plan, blood type and any prior convictions before information is shared. Or before they receive Obamacare whichever comes first.

jk but on a serious note chronic laziness and mosquitoes are the same- they both suck. :)

• Like 1

I remember quite some time ago, I think it was July of 2007 when a gentleman posted on this very site looking for information for his daughter's first elk hunt. It was in a unit that he had never been in before and a unit that I was pretty familiar with. I offered up some information and even met him out in the field to show him a few places. Now this same guy is one of my closest friends and has been there during some of the most memerable hunting experiences of my life. Heck, I was even his bestman when he married his lovely wife 2 years ago.

I guess the point I'm trying to make here is to never look down on an E-scouter and although you don't have to give them your most secret spots, give somebody some pointers if you can. You may be blessed tenfold because of your willingness to help others! ;)

-Tracy

• Like 8

The crap about before the internet nobody shared info is bull crap. I grew up in payson and I remember the info about certain deer and areas spread at the bars,football games ect... You could find out info at gas stations or anywhere groups of guys met for coffee. Same info just a differnt delivery system. If you like helping people go for it. I have helped out alot of guys and have had alot returned over the years and will continue to help out others. I like meeting others and will help out total strangers out in the field. I would suggest to the guys out in the field that act like they are some kind of hunting god is to chill out and maybe you might meet some all right new friends that won't mind helping you pack out a critter.

• Like 1