Sign in to follow this  
gotcoues

E-Scouting

I have enjoyed helping friends, neighbors and even strangers on hunting and fishing opportunities for almost 40 years. Shared free advice even though I was a registered guide. I have been on both sides of this debate. Offered advice to friends on a few "honey holes" years ago and now all of Bisbee and Wilcox hunt there every year so I have given up on those former spots with many fond memories. Now much more cautious on my advice which I know offends some. But I am offended also as it seems the morals and integrety of today's hunters are significantly lower than the former hunters. I see/hear people stealing trail cameras, data cards, tree stands and being possesive and confrontation in the woods like they own the place. I've had people put salt licks and cameras up within yards of pre-established setups. We have enough challenges from the tree huggers, anti-hunters and many of the so called "environmentalists" that have infiltrated the USFS and AGFD. I wish hunters would foster more harmonious relations in the woods like what we used to experience 30-40 years ago. And some where along the line we seem to have lost the "pack it in pack it out" philosophy and now find forests trashed up with garbage left behind. No wonder land owners are reluctant to open their gates to all hunters. I'll get off my soap opera for now but I sure would like to see a return to former ethics we used to enjoy years ago!!

everyones so paranoid that once its been put out online - the world knows and everyone with a tag or whom ever thought of hunting the unit will be flocking to that exact spot for yrs to come !

helping people out with the name of a canyon or road or tank isn't really gonna effect anything. especially when theres over 1000 tags in a 3 month period . Most these units are huge - so givin a little info to a beginner may help him get started . the majority of the units regular hunters know the areas and some may say its the best spot they ever found - others may have not ever seen deer there and would never even consider wasting time there agin.

As most know deer are spread through out most units high and low . been to spots where told to find bunchs of deer to not find a single track .

time changes areas along with mother nature - roads are closed due to flooding- areas fenced off due to burns- it stops everything but foot travel . newbies will turn around and leave but the guy who knows there are big bucks wont let anything stop him .

So I doubt if I give a little info out and it will stop you from hunting your favorite spot because another truck is parked in the area.

good luck to everyone who has a tag .

I was lucky to draw a Dec. 21 -- whitetail - I'll be hunting the 7 springs area - of maybe yellowjacket canyon . find me if you can ! big red ford- its about a 1 1/2 mile hike into the remote tank I hunt!

• Like 1

everyones so paranoid that once its been put out online - the world knows and everyone with a tag or whom ever thought of hunting the unit will be flocking to that exact spot for yrs to come !

helping people out with the name of a canyon or road or tank isn't really gonna effect anything. especially when theres over 1000 tags in a 3 month period . Most these units are huge - so givin a little info to a beginner may help him get started . the majority of the units regular hunters know the areas and some may say its the best spot they ever found - others may have not ever seen deer there and would never even consider wasting time there agin.

As most know deer are spread through out most units high and low . been to spots where told to find bunchs of deer to not find a single track .

time changes areas along with mother nature - roads are closed due to flooding- areas fenced off due to burns- it stops everything but foot travel . newbies will turn around and leave but the guy who knows there are big bucks wont let anything stop him .

So I doubt if I give a little info out and it will stop you from hunting your favorite spot because another truck is parked in the area.

I was lucky to draw a Dec. 21 -- whitetail - I'll be hunting the 7 springs area - of maybe yellowjacket canyon . find me if you can ! big red ford- its about a 1 1/2 mile hike into the remote tank I hunt!

That's your truck I've been seeing there near my remote tank/honey hole that I have been hunting for generations and no one else it entitled too!?! I'll just get there before you do. ;)

nothin finer than sitting on my favorite saddle - way before dawn as I've know exactly how to get to it even on the darkest of nights. sit and wait and watch headlights / lamplights comin up the road/ trail in the distance - just after legal shooting light here come all the deer , being pushed by the guy who probably is hunting the area for the first time - all he hears is a shot up the canyon - my hunts over !

• Like 1

In my unit they usually come in a day or two ahead of time, set up camp, then proceed to serious scouting. Your scenario elkoholic would only work in my case if you open season up a day or two early!

I'm open to helping others with lots of things, but I don't make it a habit of giving out specific info on the areas that I consider a honey hole. I've argued with my husband many times about sharing "our spots." He is of the mind to share with most anybody and me on the other hand feel I put wayyy too much effort into finding those spots and would prefer to keep it quiet. When the word is shared (even not on the internet) it spreads plain and simple. I would never ask anyone for their special spots either. I find it rewarding when I put things together myself as far as locations.

I definitely search the internet for all kinds of tips and info. I myself have never primarily hunted WT and never in 6A. I have hundreds of unanswered questions, but I'm mostly waiting til I have tried myself first and am ready to ask specific questions. It's going to be pretty much all new territory for me and much to be learned, but for now I'm working on figuring it out.

I wouldn't mind being guided in the direction of a member who hunts WT with a bow and does not primarily sit a stand or blind. Feel free to contact me if that's you!

Love that attitude. I met a guy out in some of my prefered stomping grounds a couple seasons ago who's turned into a good buddy. He's the only other person I've met out there who's brave/dumb enough to hike as far into that nasty crap as I do, so now we try to work it together rather than to bump into each other.

• Like 1

Love that attitude. I met a guy out in some of my prefered stomping grounds a couple seasons ago who's turned into a good buddy. He's the only other person I've met out there who's brave/dumb enough to hike as far into that nasty crap as I do, so now we try to work it together rather than to bump into each other.

Did you just call me dumb? LMAO! I know it wasn't me , but again thanks for showing me that spot! :)

I think if you can help out a fellow outdoorsman, why wouldn't you? It seems to me that this is exactly why there should be s site such as Cwt.com...a place for us to come together and share knowledge. Nothing brothers me more than when someone asks a question on here and you get the smart a** comments like "here we go again". It must be part of getting older because I was definitely a lot more secretive when I was a young buck. Please do all of us a favor and help out those in need and you may just make someone's dream come true.

Did you just call me dumb? LMAO! I know it wasn't me , but again thanks for showing me that spot! :)

Great buck in your avatar. Wasn't that take in that spot you promised to show me????? :ph34r:

Personally I don't know if specific spots are all that helpful for the new coues hunter. What is most helpful for them is learning the proper hunting methods and how to glass. The animals can be anywhere but finding them is the key.

I had a buddy tell me there were no deer in a really good spot. I couldn't believe it...turns out he had no idea how to glass.

• Like 1

I think most would agree, theres nothing wrong with asking and theres nothing wrong with replying either. I think most have issues with specific information said over the forum for then entire world to see, rather then the details said in a PM.

I know a lot of guys cringe when they see 'their' spots being divulged by others who may or may not hunt that unit.

a guy pmd me and i gave someone a bunch of good tips, he didnt even message me back.

That is why I get so irked. People that "eat and run"

I shared a bunch of info on unit 27 with a member recently via P.M. and I was glad to help.

a guy pmd me and i gave someone a bunch of good tips, he didnt even message me back.

That is why I get so irked. People that "eat and run"

I shared a bunch of info on unit 27 with a member recently via P.M. and I was glad to help.

I also shared a bunch of info recently about 27. I got a thanks in the end lol but that was it. its ok though i guess I wasnt expecting a cookie or anything but still.