Sign in to follow this  
Scooter

Starting to panic... Lots of questions!

That's why I love CWT.com!!! Never even met y'all but looks like there's lots of good sportsmen around to help!!!

Another question- what's the best way to learn how to quarter an elk (I keep hearing about the gutless method?) other than waiting until you shoot an elk???

YouTube it, there's a bunch of "how to" vids online. Outdoor edge has some good instructional vids, and some good knives.

• Like 2

That's why I love CWT.com!!! Never even met y'all but looks like there's lots of good sportsmen around to help!!!

Another question- what's the best way to learn how to quarter an elk (I keep hearing about the gutless method?) other than waiting until you shoot an elk???

YouTube it, there's a bunch of "how to" vids online. Outdoor edge has some good instructional vids, and some good knives.

Great Idea!

What big browns said about getting the elk in the right position to gut or use the gutless method is the key when by yourself. Use rope to tie off legs to near by trees but after using the gutless method last year I won't be gutting an elk ever again. Super easy and we didn't really know what we were doing. I watched a few you tube videos and was good to go.

• Like 1

Heck, we tied the legs for my cousin's bull and we were on flat ground! Just makes things easier. The gutless method is easy, but even after i break down an animal, I end up digging through them guts anyways, lol.

Antmo23 I take it you are a liver and onions guy like my grandpa was.

Antmo23 I take it you are a liver and onions guy like my grandpa was.

Let's just say I've been watching too many episodes of bizarre food, lol. Liver, kidneys, heart, tongue, heck, even some superstition mountain oysters for those that are more adventurous. If it tastes good, eat it! I was always told to eat watch kill, which is the reason I ate so many flies as a kid(thanks Dad!).

• Like 1

The gutless way is the way to go in my opinion. To do it good I would recommend 2 people. Kinda hard with one.

Hope this is not to graphic, but hear it goes

With the elk laying on its side U cut from the head to its rump. Down the middle of its back, Like u were capping it. Then start skinning the animal. I then cut around the ankles then skin down to it. Or pull the legs threw.

Now that u have the skin off on one side, You have the second person lift up on the front leg and you cut it off threw the tissue no bones to cut. Now the front leg is off.

The hind leg is down similar with your buddy lifting the leg you will cut the meat around the pelvis bone and down the back bone a little ways, around the inside to the ball joint.{be very careful here as the internals are real close} But u take your knife and work around that ball joint in the pelvis and the leg comes off with out cutting threw any bones as well.

Then I take a fillet knife and fillet the back straps off.Then I fillet the neck and brisket off in one shot.{fillet knife works real good for these steps}.

Put hide back over the animal and flip and do the same thing on the other side.

Once done with both sides cut down the last rib cage bone the last 1/3 towards back bone and down the back bone a little ways. With your buddy pushing in on the internals u can take your fillet knife and fillet the tenderloins out.

Some people take the meat between the rib cage and some times by law u have to. But once it is cut out it dries up quick.

This leaves u with very clean meat and is not messy at all. And cools the meat down quickly {very important}. plus you are getting rid of alot of bone. U can go farther if you want to reduce weight.

It makes for easy hanging to. Heart Liver Sorry I will Pass on that.

Hope this was not to graphic. and I hope it helps you. Good luck on your hunt

• Like 1

Did it myself last year with a dull pocket knife (do not ask!) in less than 2 hours and it was very clean and easy. Just watched a bunch of videos first. This year it should be less than an hour by myself with a good knife. Tie legs up and keep the cape spread out. That will keep the meat very clean.

+1 on gutless and the elk101 videos. I think I even saw a downloadable file that you could save on your phone in case you were in a real bind in the field and forget.

This thread is a testament to what I love about CWT...lots of folks volunteering to help and that's no joke. Heck if the timing was right I'd drive up from Tucson to help you pack one out! :D

Good luck and have a great hunt!

My archery tag is mid-November, and being a first-time elk hunter I have thought up some questions as I've been talking to people and reading everything I can. I am an experienced hunter and outdoorsman, but I've never taken on a solo hunt for this long... and if successful, with this large of an animal.

1. Do you have to "book" a meat processor near where you hunt? Or do they just have space available because that's what they do every year?

2. How many coolers and what size should they be? How many Game Bags?

3. How much freeze dried food for a 13-day hunt? How much Water?

4. Do some of the hunters go on a bivy hunt or are most of the guys trailer/tent camping? Which do you think is better?

5. How helpful are other hunters as far as getting the meat packed out? I know I'd sure help someone out if I came across them solo hunting out there- am I an anomaly?

As much as I enjoy doing bivy hunts, a November hunt does create some issues from a weather/gear/rations standpoint. For Arizona hunts, water is typically my limitation so I base my plan on how much water I want to carry/what my available sources are going to be. If sources are limited (often) I leave extra water at my truck and hike back every few days. It's not ideal, but is the best formula I've come up with so far. I typically carry 100 oz of water for 2+ days for drinking and cooking freeze dried food. If I'm going to set up a spike camp and the hike back to the truck is punitive, I will pack an extra 100oz to leave at camp. The extra water is not an option if I'm carrying camp as I go.

Here's what I typically take for each day for food for August/September hunts: 1.5 oatmeal packs for breakfast (I alternate between 1 and 2 each day); a protein bar for mid morning snack, about 4oz of trail mix, an ounce of jerky, another protein/power bar for mid afternoon, then a MTN House for dinner. I pack my food in individual gallon ziploc bags so I know what I have each day and put the trash back in the ziplock. Most people tend to eat more in colder climates because you spend more calories keeping your body temperature normal.

Personally, I don't see much use for a bivy hunt in AZ unless you're going into a wilderness area or deep in a canyon. Pretty much every unit in the state has enough (too many, IMHO) open roads to get you close enough to your hunting spot to worry about bivying in. The extra walking both ways in the dark does drain your energy, but the tradeoff is usually increased comfort in the way of real food, less pack weight, a more comfortable bed, etc. Plus, if you get some serious November weather moving in or you get a bull down, you don't want to have to double back to pick up your spike camp.

Many hunters will be helpful packing out animals - if they're around and have a good pack. I've run across a lot of hunters who don't even have a pack or plan to retrieve the meat they've tagged. Often times, when you get something on the ground the other guys are out trying to do the same and your clock is ticking. Likely you will have cool enough weather so you won't have to have everything out in one day.

Best of luck on your hunt!

check it out... pretty cool!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_7AHA2TyqHo&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Ffeature%3Dplayer_embedded%26v%3D_7AHA2TyqHo

James

Jay scott outdoors has a good one as well for the video.

I think this is the one I used last year. Watched it like three times and then remembered it for when I did my elk. All by myself, it was not bad. With a second person and a sharp knife, I would have been done in about 30 minutes. Surprisingly easy after you start the process!!! And as long as you do not puncture the insides when cutting (trust me, bad idea!!!), then you will be fine. Have water very close by in case an accident happens and you need to wash guts off meat quickly.