Sign in to follow this  
4Falls

I'd like to build a mountain rifle...

I have this crazy idea that I'd like to put together my own custom hunting rifle. Im not thinking of getting too custom just a good solid action and barrel, a comfortable stock and a decent quality optic. I'd like it to be light enough to pack in the rough country but still manageable in the recoil dept too. Something that I can use on coues, bears and elk.

Do you guys have any ideas?

.260 rem, or 308 built on a Rem 7 action, McMillian EDGE technology stock. Use solid bullets, and keep distances reasonable and you will kill them all no problem.

• Like 1

Light, manageable recoil and elk...that a bit of a tall order.

7mm WSM, Rem 700 action Mcmillan Edge and a high quality barrel would work nicely.

• Like 1

The optimum chambering options for small deer like Coues will be different than those for elk and bear.

You would be dealing with different bullet weights/construction depending on what you will be hunting.

What distances will you be shooting out to?

Consider the short actions, these will save you a little weight. Maybe a 300WSM, with a muzzle break to tame recoil.

Take a hard look at the Tikka T3 rifles. They are light, and the ones I've shot are incredibly accurate.

• Like 1

Bullet selection is more important than caliber IMO.

.284 - .308 both have a large variety of bullets to choose from and short action chamberings to build on.

Savage or Remington action
Vortex or Zeiss or Leupold scope.
McMillon or HS Stock (HS is cheaper but heavy)

Your best investment will be in the scope and reloading equipment.

Here is a gun I built years ago as a lightweight pack rifle. The barrel started out as a TC pistol barrel chambered in 7mm-08. I had a muzzlebrake added to make it legal rifle length, plus the barrel drilled and tapped so I could use a rifle forearm. If I remember correctly, the entire rifle with scope was about 5.5 pounds. David

post-561-0-28470500-1379089655_thumb.jpg

post-561-0-04746300-1379089675_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I had those same thoughts a couple years ago.I ended up with a SS. Tikka in .300wsm.It does kick in that caliber. I put a Kick ease pad on it and it helped. I used Talley lightweight rings and a light weight vortex scope.It shoots straight and is a great mountain rifle without spending alot of $. Sportsmans warehouse has their own version of the t3 with a fluted barrel that is even lighter.

No suggestions on the 6.5-284? I guess it isn't all the rage it was a few years back.

I like the .270WSM recommendation as well as the 280, 7mm-08 rounds. Are you planning on reloading or are you looking for off the shelf ammo accuracy and a quick turn package? I say Tikka or Savage.

If you are wanting/willing to reload and scrape along for better accuracy then you have a lot of choices for caliber. I tell most people to avoid all the added cost of a custom if they have no desire to work on reloading. You can get most of what you need off the shelf with some simple improvements, bedding or changing the stock etc.

I have one Tikka, my daughters .243 and I could run up a mountain with that little sucker and be fine. I was shocked at how well it shot right out of the box. They do have a 1 MOA guarantee so not much downside.

Low cost custom is Remmy or Savage action. I'd sure look at Tikka T3 Super Lite if you'll do an off the shelf.

Light enough to pack in the mountains and manageable recoil mean different things to different people. Are you 20 or 65? Have you had shoulder or neck injuries? What is your max range for elk and bears?

• Like 1