Sign in to follow this  
el diablo

New hunting license structure

This may have been brought up already but looking at the new fee structure and seeing that the new license are good for 1 yr from the date of purchase I was thinking. If your putting in for the spring hunts and buy your new license in September its good unitl next September. So you would basically have 2 hunting license for the rest of 2013 and just donated 1/3 of your 2013 license fee to the G&F? If so they're once again making out or is there some kind of prorated refund?

You can only buy 2014 licenses at G&F or online at G&F. If you buy it now until Dec. 31st it is good from Jan. 1 to Dec. 31st 2014. Starting Jan. 1st 2014 the license is good for a year from date of purchase. The new rates don't start until Jan. 1 2014. I still had to pay $15 for my girls youth hunting family license that I bought on line last week.

Ok, so I just bought my 2014 license online, and it is good from Jan 1 2014 thru Dec 31 2014

But next September(9/2014) I will need to buy a new license to apply for 2015 spring hunts, and this license will be valid from Sept 2014 thru Sept 2015, even though I already have a license...

My question is, will I have to buy a new license in June 2015 to be able to put in for the Fall 2015 deer/elk hunts, since my previous license will expire prior to the hunts?

If so, I will have licenses that overlap from Sept 2014 thru Dec 2014 and again from June 2015 thru Sept 2015... And this repeats every year... Meaning I will lose a few months off of every license (basically a new license every 8-9 months)???

I talked with a lady at game and fish and she mentioned two things, but said nothing's set in stone yet. You would just need a valid license to apply for a hunt and a valid license during your hunt. And you will probably be able to tell them what day you want your 365 to start on. Just not sure how far in advance you can do that. So you have your 2014 license that expires at the end of December. When putting in for the Spring hunts you will probably be able to use your current license to apply for the hunts. Then just before Jan 1 you'd need to buy a license and have it start on Jan 1.

That's the only way that is going to make sense with this structure. And the lady said they'd cross that hurdle when it came. Not sure why they wouldn't have it all figured out before they came up with this structure but it is what it is.

I believe form this coming up in the meetings I attended you put in your license number you currently have and do the draw then if drawn you better remember to get the license when your current one runs out. I see this getting folks into trouble.

Funny thing is i though this would be a good thing but now I think i will be buying my licence in January anyway.

• Like 1

That's the way it works in Utah. As long as you have a valid license you can apply even if it expires before your hunt.

I thought this was a bad idea. Was there really anything wrong the way it was? I too see people getting cited for not having a valid license. At least the old way you knew you had to have a new one for the Jan 1st hunts and could buy it ahead of time.

It would be nice if they allow you to purchase ahead of time and predate the starting point, especialy the first year with most hunters having the whole year due to putting in for the Spring hunts.

Ok so if you can put in with your current license as long as you have a valid one for the hunt (if that's what they're doin) you shouldn't have to buy a new license to put in for the spring hunts as long as you have a 2013 license. That's not the case though. Sounds like they shoulda had all this figured out before starting it.

• Like 1

As it says in the regs this is a one time situation. It works a little differently THIS application period.

• Like 1

prolly the best way to do it this time would be to buy now and buy again next october even though your good til december 31, in order to get the bennys of this structure otherwise forgo the spring hunts. you are going to lose out a couple months this time only.

the following years you just buy in october or whatever works best for you.

trust me it's going to be a good thing to be able to put in for multiple draws. if you do it right you should be able to put in for spring draw elk draw and the fall draws all on 1 license. you won't forget to buy again because you will want to put in for the next draw. you just have to bite this 1 bullet.

no different than buying a new license for the following year just for your spring hunts when you are still good til december 31 with you current license.

James

This seems like a bad thing for Game & Fish to me. Non-residents, whose licenses cost much more than a resident, will only need to buy a license every other year to apply for big game tags like elk. Since they normally have to apply for quite a few years before having enough points to draw, they can simply apply late in the application period one year, then at the beginning of it the following year, and so they will get to skip buying a license every other year. That seems like it will put a significant hit on the amount of money G&F will collect, which will offset anything they hoped to gain by increasing the cost of the license. Seems like the only one that is going to be paying more is the resident that has to buy one each year.

• Like 1

It seems like we are in a strange transition period now. As I understand it, you have to buy your 2014 licences now in order to even apply for the 2014 hunts. You are still under the old pricing structure, but your license is no longer valid for all of 2014 - just up until the point you bought it in 2013. I like the old "calendar year" system better.

/>It seems like we are in a strange transition period now. As I understand it, you have to buy your 2014 licences now in order to even apply for the 2014 hunts. You are still under the old pricing structure, but your license is no longer valid for all of 2014 - just up until the point you bought it in 2013. I like the old "calendar year" system better.

If you buy it now, it is still valid till dec 31, 2014. It's valid from January 1 till the end if the year.

Brian