Sign in to follow this  
Blade

Molli's Elk

I had the privilege of going along on my cousin Molli’s youth elk hunt this weekend. A good time was had by all.

During the weeks leading up to the hunt the evenings were spent out at the range practicing shooting. She came to be a good shot with both a rifle and a pistol.

As we headed out before daylight Friday morning the hunting party consisted of Molli and four other relatives; Steve, David, Francis, and I. Molli went with Steve and we all split up going to four different hills to glass. As it began to get light enough to see I spotted a bull on a hillside across the canyon. I kept glassing and could make out the hind end of an elk in the brush. I radioed in that I had two elk one bull and the other I couldn’t tell. I kept glassing and spotted a third which was definitely a cow. Francis came over to the hill I was on and spotted three more cows on the same hillside. Where these elk were at was going to be difficult to get to so we watched them for a while hoping they would keep moving out. The elk bedded down so we decided to not disturb them and moved on. Meanwhile, Steve had spotted another cow in a different canyon. We made our way around and spotted the cows again about 600 yards across a canyon and moving; a difficult shot even for a seasoned marksman. We decided to pass and headed back to the house to eat. That evening Molli and I sat in a blind by a tank but didn’t see anything.

On the morning of day two David couldn’t go so the hunting party consisted of Molli, Steve, Francis, and I. Steve was on the same hill he was on the day before as was I. Molli went with Francis to a check a new area. Just after Steve and I got set up on our respective hill tops, Molli and Francis spotted a herd of elk feeding in a meadow. They made their way in closer until they got within about 300 yards. Molli got a rest on a fence post, took aim, and fired a well-placed shot hitting the left shoulder and left lung. The elk got up and hobbled into the tree line. Steve came and picked me up, we met up with Molli and Francis and the four of us began following the blood trail. We didn’t expect the elk to go far but after about an hour of tracking the blood trail became faint and we started getting worried. Francis called a friend, who is also named Mike, to help track the elk. After about another hour of tracking Mike started trailing up a steep hill. Mike was higher up the hill and Molli and I were at the bottom of the hill. Just as I was thinking to myself there is no way a three legged elk with one lung is going to climb that hill mike yelled down to us there she is. Molli and I ran up the hill and just on the other side there was the elk barley able to stand. Molli put her down and the celebration began, followed by some hard work getting the elk out.post-6835-0-09439000-1384101814_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Congratulations! Way to get out there and get r done!

its nice to find them right away for you and the animals sake, but experiencing that emotional roller coaster is all part of hunting. congrats, big cow it looks like. lots of good eating.

Congratulations! Well Done!

Fantastic Molli! Way to hang in there and get it done!!!

A fine cow!! Congrats!

7mm-08 with 160gr Sierra game king over 38.7gr of varget. between my dad and I a fair amount of deer, elk, and bear have been shot using Sierra game kings with good bullet performance but not this time. She made a good shot but the bullet completely came apart on impact. Has anyone else had trouble with these bullets recently? Has Sierras quality gone down? I've been reluctant to switch to hippie bullets ( non lead) but after this I'm considering it.

The only game kings I've been around we're small caliber so that's not a good comparison. I've been shooting 150 swift scirrocos out of my 7mm STW with really good performance at all velocities. I've shot game from 60-600 yards and all of them look as they do in the advertisements. I'd look into them if you're making a switch.