Sign in to follow this  
couesdeerhntr

What do you guys think about scent control

I agree that they are all a waste of money. They are useless as soon as you hike anywhere because of sweat in my opinion. Having the wind in your favor is the best way to control scent

When I still was dumb enough to smoke, I used a cigarette to keep track of where my scent was going. I quit smoking a dozen years ago after a heart attack, but have considered using something I saw in Zimbabwe. The PH had a gauze bag filled with ashes that he shook when he wanted to know how to approach the buffalo I shot.

Bill Quimby

The wind and campfire smoke get it on your clothes and lift your shirt and get some in there too

I have tested this and for me it works.the animals are use to campfire smoke controlled burns and forest fire

smoke.

Seldom Drawn

I use my insurance card and see my therapist 5 times before hunting, he then allows me to think for myself that I don't stink.

As JLW said I'm a scent lock freak. I love to still hunt and get in close. I use the body wash, detergent, spray, wipes, deodorant, heck if the wife wants a hug before I leave, she get sprayed down as well. I hunt with a few people that smell like an ash tray that is taking a number 2 and shocking, they never see much game. I won't even ride in the same truck with them anymore because If I can smell myself when I get out, I'm pretty sure the deer can to. I like to take the top layer off when I get back to camp and either get it in my scent lock bag or throw a little dirt on it.

Ps. I'm also that guy that rubs up against a juniper tree every 30 minutes or so. Grab a branch with some berries and rub them onto my gloves, hat etc..... Works wonders.

3:00 am posting thought I had some yotes jump in the back yard and grab our dog, I'm on red alert over here.

• Like 2

Field and Stream conducted a test with a K9 in the July 2011 on the importance of wind. They also did a test in Aug 2009 using the products used for scent control. Mythbusters also did an episode where they tried to fool a drug dog using all the popular products with hunters today. The results? Fail. I don't think we realize just how powerful a deer's sense of smell is. My opinion is that you will never be scent free to a deer, dog, bear, shark, ect... It certainly doesn't hurt to use the stuff (except the pocketbook). It's just my opinion, but I think it is just moneymaker. Those products are paying huge money to the hunters on TV and advertising to push the importance of it. Just play the wind.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/hunting/2011/07/sniff-test

post-4527-0-09266800-1384618871_thumb.jpg

Guest wdenike
Scent lock or scent eliminator= snake oil. lol

I think these products mostly just make ya feel that ya did your best. And nothing wrong with that as when we do anything, ya want to try your hardest. But after 50 years running hounds. I will just say this. When it comes to a strong cover scent I think all will agree there is nothing stronger than skunk spray. Well a hound can get sprayed in the face and still go on and tree the game we are hunting for, a little later in the same day. And I believe all wild animals can distinguish multiple scents, and there is no way to eliminate all your scent. And unfortunately a little goes a looooong way. So I would just play the wind, and don't smell like a hog or hooker and more often than not you'll do quite well.

Take care, Willie

Anyone with bottles of scent away or some useless scent locker clothes they don't want to store any longer, I will take it off your hands.

• Like 2

You can fool everything but their nose. If the wind isn't in your favor it doesn't matter what you use. Only thing I do is wash my clothes in scent killer. Check the wind!

i believe in scent control WAY more than camo. you cant fool their eyes, if you move theyll see you.

I used to use scent blocker spray, but not anymore. Unless your entire body is encapsulated in something, you are going to produce odors. Guns and bows smell also.

I just keep the breeze in my favor, and use a little plastic snuffer bottle of baby powder to check the wind.

• Like 1

I've noticed that I usually get heard or seen long before I ever get winded. It may help if your sitting a blind but if your hiking in AZ it's usually to hot to keep from sweating buckets which probably no scent control can cure. Maybe that's why I'm not a very good bow hunter :-)