huntitup

Amazing bull a 10 year old may never top!!

This whole thing started when my buddy and I got hits on our cards the same day not knowing who or what the anticipation began. Well it turns out I got a late bull tag in a separate unit and his card hit wasn't for him but for his 10 year old sons very first hunt!! I have never seen a father so happy about a hunt of any kind. Lets just say this started a lot of firsts, he had to take a hunters safety and teach him how to shoot a high caliber rifle and of course you have to buy him a new gun that he can use. Well my buddy spent the months preparing his son as they would go out and practice shooting weekly. It didnt take this little guy long to prove that 200+ yards was well within his capabilities he was hitting soda bottles dead center at over 150 yards. He had done so well with the new .243 that dad thought he should step up a caliber( just a really good excuse to buy a new gun and not have the bride get mad if you ask me) so off they went and dad bought a new .270 for this much anticipated elk hunt!!

Well season was getting closer and closer and my buddy was loosing more and more sleep!!! I had to remind him several times that he will be ok and it's not even your tag haha! Opening morning came and you have never seen a 10 year old so excited for anything. They had done a lot of scouting and knew where they wanted to be at first light! As the morning went on they were seeing bulls just no good shots( we all know how tough getting a new hunter/kid a really good shot can be) as they day went on they more and more bulls just nothing would come together! That evening they had a good opportunity on a group of cows with a few spikes I had told my friend to give this hunt a few days before spikes became interesting not because I wouldn't shoot a spike but more because its the first day and he would get to experience a few days of being with his boy hunting!! And this was the first elk tag for either of them. Needless to say the spikes lived to see another day!!

So day 1 was over and the excitement only grew for this young hunter. He got to see so many elk and got to attempt a few stalks and almost got a few shots he was so excited for the next day. Well to make a long story short the next morning was a lot of the same the bulls were there we just couldn't make it happen. On the way out of the first spot headed to another spot the boy yells hey dad some elk!! Dad looks over and immediately says bulls bulls get the gun ready. Dad grabbed the shooting sticks and set them up in the opening the little guy knew exactly what to do!! He threw the gun into the sticks and settled In behind the scope quickly he picked them up in the optics. After a brief 1/2 second decision dad told him which one to put the crosshairs on and like a seasoned hunter that has done this for years BOOM!! For a second it caught every one off guard he had sent a round off not more than 2 seconds from identifying the target and even more impressive was the shot placement I mean he flat smoked that bull he didnt go any where haha! On the hike up the hill to recover the bull nobody knew what he had just done the little guy was so excited he never looked at horns and didnt really care. He said walking up to it maybe its a 6 point hahahaha!!! Ya buddy it's probably at least a 6 point. Ill let the pictures do the rest of the talking what an amazing bull and even more what amazing memories this young man will always have of his first hunt with his dad!! Congrats little buddy and great friggin shot wow!!

post-2680-0-68540100-1386237189_thumb.jpg

post-2680-0-53265300-1386237232_thumb.jpg

post-2680-0-14290800-1386237308_thumb.jpg

post-2680-0-06005800-1386237363_thumb.jpg

post-2680-0-04967500-1386237419_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

The first picture looks odd because the horns were completely covered in frost!! We have seen a few pics of this bull before he broke up and he had a kicker off the right beam just behind the 4th that matched the left side as well as an entire tine snapped off between the g2 and his third that we don't know much about and he has about 6" of his forth missing and still he taped 396"!!

Well I have to say that since that bull went down I could not be more happy that it went to a young hunter!! That's a bull he very well may never top, absolute pig. Congratulations on your trophy.

Wow, what a story! Great bull and what preparation they made before the hunt! All that adds up to a great experience for both of them. Congratulations the little fellar and his pa!

That is an amazing bull that Most people will never top 10 years old or otherwise. Congrats young man!!!!!

What a great story! I love to see kids having success. This is a great bull, and I know the group will cherish the memories for a lifetime. Congratulations to all.

Amazing bull! congrats to your son.

awesome bull and congrats to you and all involved. Like Mthomas had stated, If i didnt know better, that is that bull that pinedoney took pics of. great bull and congrats again