Sign in to follow this  
rschaumb

Trophy Javelina

Well I started off my pig hunt with hopes of killing a blonde pig I had seen the previous year while hunting whitetail. The group with the blonde one had been hitting our trail cam irregularly but we knew it used the area. After opening day went by without seeing the pigs or any fresh sign I went to bed hoping the next day would turn out better. Around 10 in the morning came and still hadn't seen anything so I figured they had gone over into the next range of hills and was about to head that way. Then all of a sudden I see a dark object 400 yards away and I checked with the binos and sure enough it was a javelina and there were more around it all feeding. And the blonde one was with them. To sum the story up, after about two hours of stalking the group several times and being busted each time; after drawing my bow back and almost decided to fill my tag on a normal dark javelina but deciding against it each time; I finally got it done. I was just full draw on a pig at 25 yards as it walked a circle around me and I almost let an arrow fly. I take a few more steps and there's the blonde one facing me at 33 yards but hadn't seen me. He turned ever so slightly and I let it fly through his neck and front shoulders. He ran down the hill 20 yards and expired. It's hard to get a specific javelina out of a group when they are all around you. Normally I just shoot the first one that gives me a shot opportunity, but I'm glad I passed up those other shots. I'm going to have him shoulder mounted and then later whenever I get a really dark javelina I'll mount them side by side. Enjoy the pics and thanks for reading.

post-6185-0-47906300-1388809260_thumb.jpg

post-6185-0-83203300-1388809274_thumb.jpg

post-6185-0-48166100-1388809358_thumb.jpg

post-6185-0-76004000-1388809377_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

That's amazing! What a rare trophy you have there. You should have a full mount done if you can swing it. Places like Cabela's or Bass Pro would pay big $$ to be able to reproduce that. Congratulations on a trophy of a lifetime!

Congratulations on a rare trophy for sure. Thanks for sharing.

TJ

Super sweet blondie! Was that a boar or sow?

Keep an eye on that herd and see if any little blondies show up in the pack from his procreative abilities!

Keep an eye on that herd and see if any little blondies show up in the pack from his procreative abilities!

Speaking of which there is a sow out there that is a little lighter. It's face is actually split down the middle, light on one side and darker on the other. And it's baby was blonde. So here's hoping :)

That is pretty cool. I shot a pig with more of a blondish hue to it last year. Nothing compared to that one. What an awesome trophy.

Congrats!!

/>

Thanks guys. It was a boar. Probably had another year to be full sized. But it was an average sized pig.

Standing out likea soar thumb, he might of bit been able to last another year

Awesome! way to stick with it!

Cool looking boar. Hopefully he passed on the genes to make enough blondies that you'll be able to keep seeing them out there. Good job on having the willpower to hold out for the one you wanted.