Sign in to follow this  
BackwoodsHunter

Backpacking hunt

It never hurts to carry a extra pair of boot laces. They weigh next to nothing and can be used for multiple things. Whether a day trip or four day trip, if you're deep and break one it can really tear up your ankle in a hurry.

• Like 1

I saw with those mountain home meals you need water to cook those so I'd rather go with mre's

MRE's are full of salt and preservatives. You'll be drinking a lot of water after eating those things. Trust me, I lived on them for 6 months straight.

Good thing is, if you eat them, you won't need baby wipes....like for weeks.

• Like 2

It never hurts to carry a extra pair of boot laces. They weigh next to nothing and can be used for multiple things. Whether a day trip or four day trip, if you're deep and break one it can really tear up your ankle in a hurry.

I look at little things like that as just making sure you keep you stuff in good shape. I tend to just replace things like that when they look like they are getting worn out. It's not so much the weight laces take up but the space in your pack and that "may" be better served by something like para cord.

Sure you can carry plenty of stuff but on a backpack trip I'd rather suffer a hardship or two then plan for every circumstance especially on a short trip like four days.

I'd rather pack light and do without with the prospect (animal down) of packing out more than I brought in. The weather will have an influence on what you bring so watch it closely and then adjust on the day of your departure.

• Like 1

I always carry at least 50 feet of lightweight cord. It can save your life a hundred different ways, anything from shelter to snares and starting fires. Also makes it easier to tie up animals for field dressing and then securing the pieces onto your pack.

I'm bad about not carrying a tent unless the forecast calls for weather but as I've had to employ my emergency shelter building skills twice in the last two years (Yahoo's weather stinks!) I do carry a light weight bivy sack from SOL. I think it weighs in at seven ounces.

I keep thinking to try a water filter system but so far have relied on chlorine tablets. I've never gotten sick while using them but they take several hours to work so you have to remember to fill up your water at night so it will be ready in the morning. The upside is that they weigh next to nothing.

on the mre thing i went all mre on my hunt in 29 rifle this year and they were ok but at all cost even in deaths grip do not ever ever eat raisins out of an mre, holy moly i almost died, tasted like they were preserved with motor oil , worst thing i ever ate, nasty, i tossed them in the bushes, when i got done glassing there were three dead squirls with raisins next to them, true story. lol kidding for those who believed it. not kidding about the raisins just squirels. my military buddy says dont eat the milkshakes either they have had issues. maybe something to do with dead squirls

• Like 1

Haha Mulepackhunter thats pretty funny, ill be sure to keep that in mind. I keep 100ft of paracord in my pack at all times that stuff is awesome. I'm building up a list right now to get a trip together! Thanks for all the input.

If you don't want to do MREs or Freezedried Mountainhouse meals, another good option that I use a lot is using Knorr pasta sides and adding something like tuna or chicken from a foil pack. Makes for a nice warm meal and is a lot cheaper than mountain house meals. Also packs smaller too and less trash.

here is a link to the type of sides I am talking about. Safeway and Frys and most any grocery store carries them.

http://www.knorr.com/product/category/245726/sides

Also, if you want to save weight and the weather is going to be nice (which most of the time in AZ it is), you can use a bivy sack rather than a tent. I love my bivy sack! Adds warmth to the sleeping bag and stops the wind if it's windy at night.

Don't forget chapstick! That's something that I often forget and wish I didn't.

I take whole wheat bagels for both bfast and lunch options....they can stand up to abuse in the pack and fill you up. Cheese sticks and summer sausage are great options too.

• Like 1

One piece of gear I was pretty excited about last year was an army surplus gore tex bivy. It got great reviews on amazon, and I was able to get a used one in like new condition for less than 30 bucks. I used it under a tarp in the Colorado snow and was snug as a bug in a rug. The only thing I don't like is the end is open which leave you open to creepy crawlers. It is smaller and lighter than a tent, and would be great to have in an unexpected rain storm.

• Like 1

And a light weight tarp over ya in that hammock if it's cool or wet. Always nice to be up off the ground, specially when those crawley things come out. Anybody remember what happened to Lucas McCain when he woke up with a visitor in his fartsack?

Lots of great responses here and some really good ideas. I will second Cameron Hanes back country bow hunting book. There is a wealth of information there. Mountain house foods IMO are the only way to go to reduce weight and get enough calories. They taste pretty darn good too.

I do a lot of back pack hunting but for the most part anymore I pack in water (unless I have a water source) and a camp well before the trip and stash it prior to the hunt so I can have a little more comfort. For me that generally means a bigger tent and an extra sleeping pad.

If you are going to be packing into the wilderness areas out of cell phone range you might want to consider getting an emergency beacon. Either a SPOT or InReach. I will be purchasing the new InReach SE this year. You can communicate by short texts home with this device through your smart phone and your family can track you on a home computer. Carry a couple of light weight Mophie juice packs to keep your phone charged or a backpacking solar device. Just some thoughts to help keep your family a piece of mind and maybe give you something to do in thew evenings alone back at camp.

GBA

Go on a scouting trip for a night or two in the area and you'll quickly figure out what you need and what you want. Water is the key for the length if time and distance you can put under your boots. Don't skimp on the things that will keep you comfortable. No one cares how manly you are so might as well enjoy your time. :)

• Like 1