Sign in to follow this  
AZ_SAWBUCK

What's the craziest thing you have done while out hunting?

Walked a mile out of camp, after glassing a few hours I glassed back to camp and the ridge over, saw my buddy sitting at camp and deer 300 yards or so the opposite direction of camp! I almost ran back to camp and got him. We tried to flank the deer I saw, when I went to climb up a rock face the top half of a boulder (250+lbs) cracked off and fell on my foot!!! There were scorpions in the crack, lots of them! So I pulled my hand back which helped the rock smash my foot further. Now for the stupid part... I hunted 2 more days. Ended up not taking my boot off after that (actually helped) when I couldn't handle the pain anymore I drove into town and found out I'd broken most of my foot bones and two toes! I'm now the proud owner of two different sized feet.

• Like 1

/>

Craziest thing I've done while hunting was bringing Trphyhntr along with me. If you've ever met the him you'd know what I'm talking about, or I could just refer you to the post above!

lmao. i blame you, pouring 70/30 captain and cokes at camp. which reminds me, we putting in for a late bull hunt? i'll bring the fireball.

Can't figure out how to post the gif with the dude jumping into the car but yes, I'm IN! Bring on the lions den!

oh ya, the den is where i picked up the squaw

horn huntin' end of february 1997. my '73 waggoneer did not run too well when the temp was much below zero.

wind came up after dark in the transition part of 4b about 9pm. up to about 70mph. blew the fire logs across the two track and under the jeep and into the bedroll i had laid out. stomped out the fires and crossed all my fingers 'n toes that the jeep would start-it did. after about a half mile-right on top of a bare ridge in the old wildcat burn-that ol' jeeps carb froze solid in that little winter breeze. by then it was blowin' near 90 with a little wind chill.

IMR 3031 is a good powder for 257 R and worked well for an amc 360cid carburetor that night. thawed it out with a little blaze on the manifold and ended up sleeping on top of a concrete camp table at the old tonto creek campground. oh almost hit a mule deer doe on the 504 headed out for the low country.

turned out to be my best shed season ever......'course i never did find a horn until may 1st!!!

lee

I don't think mine is so much crazy as careless but a few years ago I got the bright idea to go out camera in hand and try to call in some cow elk for pictures. I'm working my way down a ridge over in 27 and hear a branch pop behind me. I slowly turn to find a big ole black bear about 25-30 yards away coming right up behind me. I tried the waving my arms a yelling routine but he wasn't having it he just sat there staring at me. Finally I set down the camera and nicked an arrow and began to slowly back away. He stare for a few more seconds then backed off circled around me keeping his eyes on me the whole while and eventually dropped down off the hill. Whole scene probably didn't last two minutes but seemed like an hour. Lesson to remember here is elk drop their calves early in the summer and blackies like easy meals so you can call in more than cow elk with calf noises.

The following year I walked up on a lion sleeping under a tree 40 yards away on the same ridge. I had a tag but all I had was a quiver full of blunts and field points so I took some snap shots of him with the little camera and walked on after he got tired of my attention and bailed.

I've had a few. I've killed a buck suffocating him with a ziplock sandwich bag. I've killed a pig by burning him out. I've had to lower a deer on a frame out of a canyon by lowering him down a cliff with rope. And a few more. :)

/>

/>

Craziest thing I've done while hunting was bringing Trphyhntr along with me. If you've ever met the him you'd know what I'm talking about, or I could just refer you to the post above!

lmao. i blame you, pouring 70/30 captain and cokes at camp. which reminds me, we putting in for a late bull hunt? i'll bring the fireball.
Can't figure out how to post the gif with the dude jumping into the car but yes, I'm IN! Bring on the lions den!
oh ya, the den is where i picked up the squaw

Sounds like my kinda hunting camp! ha

• Like 3

I just remembered about the one time we smoked a javelina out of a cave. My friend Larry and his son Perry were chasing javelinas outside of ajo up in the mountains and Larry spotted one go into a cave. Turns out the cave went in about 10 feet then made a dog leg. We couldn't talk that little bugger out to save our lives. So Larry came up with the idea to wrap some toilet paper around a ocotillo limb and light it on fire. Once he had the TP flaming away he jammed it up the cave and a few minutes later that pig came rolling out of there smoke pouting off of it! Not sure if it was from the TP or the fact that pig was in full after burner coming out of there! LOL

Maybe not crazy back then but now it might be a little. We had archery deer tags in 36B in 1984, my father, my brother (12 yrs) I was 14 and my best friend (14 yrs) and his father all went down to do some archery hunting down south. We started to set up camp and noticed 2 of our sleeping bags didn't make the trip, blew out on 1-19 somewhere. Oh well Nogales wasn't too far my dad said. We set up camp and then the wind started to howl, it actually blew over our buddies tent. My father said screw it, today will be a miserable day to hunt let's go to Nogales and pick up some new sleeping bags. Well by the time we got to Nogi, the two dads had convinced us to go across the border for some good ole mexican food and whatever. Well after we ate we wound up at a place on Canal Street, literally there was water running down the street hence the name. We go into this dark building and all cram into a booth. My father asks us what we want to drink and this is where I had my first beer. I forget what brand it was, but I can tell you I liked it, but what showed up next was the ugliest, not a tooth in her grill Senorita that I had ever seen. I really had no comparison but she was skanky. She asked us something in spanish and both fathers just laughed and said no gracias. We all had 1 more beer while the dads just snickered. We finished up and went back to camp, wind never let up all day and through the next, tags wern't filled but what a memory it was.

Gotta love dads.....

• Like 1

I'm a little hung up on the zip-lock bag buck suffocation death... want to hear more about it! Incredible.

Back in NYC when I was growing up my friends Uncle Pauly did that all the time.

Sounds common... maybe now that we have to carry zip lock bags to put our paper tags in once we bag a buck.... we just might see more zip lock buck suffocations in the near future.. :ph34r:

Seriously? Suffocating a buck? We owe these deer a lot more respect than that! And you should pack out your trash any how.... its not a new rule.