capoeirajosh

Which Pack??

Alright, I am having some trouble on deciding what my next pack is going to be. Right now, I just have a redhead stalker and use it as a day pack. Really doesn't have the room in there to haul out a significant amount of meat. I would like a pack that is going to serve well as a day pack, but also one that I could use on a backpack hunts in the future(5 - 6 days?). Something that will have the room for spike camp supplies AND room for hauling out meat. I am really liking the Eberlestock packs. There are a few that I am interested in. The M5 Team Elk Pack, the Just One(J34), the Blue Widow, and the Dragonfly. I am both a bowhunter and a rifle hunter. I consider myself to be mostly a deer, elk, and bear hunter. I have watched a bunch of reviews on most of these packs, but want to know some of your first hand experiences with them and your recommendations. Looking forward to your responses!!

A distinct alternative to your existing interest..

I have the Badlands Sacrifice (see avatar) for similar uses as you described. It packs out a boned out deer easy with cape and gear. It weighs less than 4lbs and can be packed/cinched up tight for use as day pack, or all of the straps can be loosened opening it up to 3,800 cubic inches for longer trips. It carries both a rifle and bow safely. Lifetime, unconditional warranty. Quiet zippers and buckles. I'm a big fan of Badlands, and if the Sacrifice isn't for you, maybe another product of theirs is worth looking into. My $.02. Good luck!

• Like 1

I had the eberlestock dragonfly for years. Problem I have with it is that it is HEAVY. I just bought a Kelty. Weighs like four lbs and was only 130 bucks!!! The more I get farther into the back country the more I realize how bad a lot of hunting packs are. I figured maybe I should start trying out packs designed for backpacking. Been impressed so far! my 2 cents

Guest akaspecials

I like to bring everything but the kitchen sink, so I went with an Eberlestock V90 Battleship. It's the most well though out pack I've ever owned. (I've owned Kelty's and Northface's thus far). The V90 is too big a day pack, but you won't go wrong with one of the smaller Eberlestocks.

I finally got to take my Kuiu 1850 out for a nice stroll in the desert and it is by far the most comfortable pack I've ever had the pleasure of wearing. The 1850 might be too small for 5-6 day trips, but as a day pack, or a 2-3 day trip, it'd be perfect. And it has a built in load sling that adds 2500 cu for when you tag an animal.

http://store.kuiu.com/product-p/60006.htm

I recently sold a " Just One" to a CWT member... really liked the pack but it weighed 7lbs by itself, great pack, but I could get a new pack loaded with spotting scope and tripod for the same weight as the Just One. After selling the the Just One, I looked at every pack on the market, (not to sound like a snob, but money was not factor).

Long and short I bought the KUIU 1850, got a great deal on Ebay.

However, I REALLY like the Croked Horn master guide pack....and almost choose it. The price is great and the features are nice. Check it out.

http://crookedhorn.com/cms_ver_03/store/crooked-horn-backpacks/master-guide-backpack-ii-detail.html

good luck I was obsessed with choosing a new pack, you will find a million different opinions decide what is important to you.

I have 3 different models of Eberlestock, a big Kuiu, and a Cabelas frame pack. I cant get away from the scabbard on the Eberle packs it just works way to well. That being said you really need 2 packs, one for your normal runs and an ultralight pack for multi-day use. My hunting buddy is a Badlands guy and uses their big pack for all of his hunting far or near. There are a lot of good choices right now and you are timing it right to be on the lookout for a steal on a used pack.

Right now my go to pack is the Team Elk pack which is extremely well thought out and has the scabbard. Great pack!

i have my badlands and love it but i was at sportsmans this weekend and was checking out the new underarmor packs there lighter then my badlands and look like there very well put together, thinking it may be my next pack

Out of the Eberlestock packs you mentioned, I prefer the Just one pack. I'm not as familiar with the Team Elk pack as it is a newer option from Eberlestock. I sold my Just One after I bought an outdoorsmans optics pack. I think the way the pack fits you and feels is more important than saving 2-3 pounds. The outdoorsmans pack is a work horse and will easily hold 100lbs and it distributes the weight extremely well. I routinely travel long distances with the total weight from 40-60lbs and I cant even tell I hauled the weight the next day.

Although the rifle scabbard on the Eberlestock packs is sweet, I hate the fact you can't sit down with you pack on and also if you slip and go down on your butt, your goin down on your barrel. Great packs, but the outdoorsmans is better in my opinion. If you use a bipod it won't fit unless your ebelerstock has the bigger scabbard.

Good luck

• Like 2

I agree Justin. The outdoorsmans pack rocks. Packed my deer out with it this past Nov. No pain that day or any other. Had the deer and all my gear and it felt great.

Those outdoorsmans look pretty sweet! Are they waterproof? For you backpacking guys, how much space should I be shooting for here is these packs for backpack hunts? What is too small and what is too much cubic inch wise? The reason why the eberlestocks were so appealing to me is because of the adjustability of them when it comes to the size. You can start out with 2200 cubic in. and expand them out to 4-5000 cubic in. while being able to add on one of the spike camp duffles which would bring it to like 7-8000 cubic in. What is plenty when it comes to space?

Thanks for the replies everyone. Does anyone have the badlands ox? Looks like a killer pack.

• Like 1