Sign in to follow this  
AZLance

#12...

Haha....way to stoke the flames with a picture that isn't even from the area. This death count reminds me of the mainstream media during the Bush years. Every evening the news would open up with a death count of an American soldier.

http://gothunts.com/mountain-lion-vs-bighorn-sheep-amazing-photos/

• Like 2

/>Haha....way to stoke the flames with a picture that isn't even from the area. This death count reminds me of the mainstream media during the Bush years. Every evening the news would open up with a death count of an American soldier.

Haha good catch. I noticed that too. But this relocation really chaps my a** because of the restrictions put in place and the lack of a predator control effort prior to the release. I want sheep on every mt in the state, but this was a piss poor job of wildlife management.

• Like 2

/>Haha....way to stoke the flames with a picture that isn't even from the area. This death count reminds me of the mainstream media during the Bush years. Every evening the news would open up with a death count of an American soldier.

Are you suggesting we ignore the count and just let it be without even talking about it? Or are you just sayin. .

Part of the plan is to have houndsmen run down those lions...they got the greenies on board with killing the cats.

Guy by the handle of cmc, I believe, explained the plan on this forum.

Part of the plan is to have houndsmen run down those lions...they got the greenies on board with killing the cats.

Guy by the handle of cmc, I believe, explained the plan on this forum.

Shouldn't they have did that before putting the sheep there and not after 12 maybe 13 by now are cat food?

• Like 1

Part of the plan is to have houndsmen run down those lions...they got the greenies on board with killing the cats.Guy by the handle of cmc, I believe, explained the plan on this forum.

Shouldn't they have did that before putting the sheep there and not after 12 maybe 13 by now are cat food?

Did you read the proposal and plan?

Part of the plan is to have houndsmen run down those lions...they got the greenies on board with killing the cats.Guy by the handle of cmc, I believe, explained the plan on this forum.

Nope. You have a link?

Nope. You have a link?

Here is a website about the Sheep release and has a section for FAQ.

http://www.catalinabighornrestoration.org/

• Like 1

From what I just read in the faq they knew lions were going to eat sheep and they are hoping somehow the sheep manage to survive and their population grows large enough that the Lions won't have an affect on them. Wtf?

It says the Catalinas have the highest population of cats in arizona so I'm not sure how they magically think these sheep are gonna make it. They dang sure made it known they did everything they could to not kill the Lions though. Wouldn't want those environmentalists mad about that.

Basically sounds like they are letting things be praying the Lions don't eat them all up. Then it says if by chance these sheep don't survive (which everyone knows they won't except azgfd lovers like jcubed) then oops the little experiment failed. Let's move on and forget about the 30 sheep we sentenced to death. Let's go find something else to blow our money and resources on. AZGFD at its finest.

Some of AZ's best sheep herds are in high density lion areas (22, 24, 31, 32). Sheep evolved with lions. We are witnessing Darwinism within the recently released sheep in the Catalina Mtns.

Sheep from SW AZ have little experience with cats. These recently released sheep don't know their turf just yet, many have likely never even seen a lion. I am confident that predator evasion in rooted in sheep DNA. Sheep in 22, 24, 31, 32 ARE from transplants from SW AZ and they are making it.

I believe most people are rooting for the sheep, even the Center for Biological Diversity. G&F ALWAYS gets drug through the mud when predator control is the issue. Suspect that with each lion killed sheep the G&F gets closer the green light from the preservationists to suppress the cats proper. Likely, when the next group of sheep are released there will be a lot less lions. That and the remaining sheep will have street skills. This restoration project is far from over IMO.

A buddy of mine recently drew a coveted sheep tag and was lucky enough to have with him a man who has studied lions in AZ for many years. They were amazed by the lack of sheep and concluded that the artificial water catchments meant to benefit the sheep were actually attracting lions. Their observation was that sheep can live and thrive in areas with little or no standing water. Lions cannot. So by creating water catchments in sheep country, you actually depress sheep populations by encouraging and supporting their primary predator.

I found this interesting as it relates to this thread.